Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmm:Ok guys I have been reading quite a few things about the 7.3's losing compression,cracking pistons,holes in pistons ext on here. I am right at 92,XXX and My truck doesnt seem to skip a beat at all. I dont tow anything larger than a 18FT bass boat and just have a mild superchip and I do occasionally get on it (who doesnt)..but what is the most common reason peoples 7.3's are crapping out at under 200k??? :hmm:

·
Registered
553 Posts
dont know. i have 243xxx and still rolling strong

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont hear about loosing compression and cracked pistons much but when i do it is usually because of crazy hp or not keeping tabs on EGTs and such

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sucking dirt

I've got 225 on my 7.3 with no problems.

One thing I have heard is there was a problem with the air filter housing leaking and letting unfiltered air in past the air filter. Combine that with a dusty environment and you will wear out very quickly. It was bad enough that there was a recall to fix it. There's a "how to be a used ..." bunch of articles that talk all about it and how to check the turbo for evidence.

Other than that it sounds like you've pretty much got yours just past the fully broken in point.

·
Registered
601 Posts
the air getting past and the whole k/n filter thing doesnt help. i dont fully believe k/n is as bad as it is made out ot be on this forum, my truck had one from 14-70k and there isnt any sign of dirt getting past, the turbo blades still look brand new. but it has the ford AIS kit now

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
yeah i just rolled over 228,000 the worst part is my tranny is going out now, but the engine is strong as it was the first day we rolled it out. had a k&n on it for a while too, over 100k and my turbo doesnt show any signs of being dusted.

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
333K on mine, just the usual stuff you expect to replace, has gone bad.
Craig

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just change the oil regularly

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Plenty of that would be because of not taking care of it in some way. The 7.3's are very reliable, IF taken care of. There's a bunch of guys on here with over 300k and one with over 450k i know of. Maintain threw a rod a while back, but was at like 480hp or something.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
The crappy factory air intake system will get ya. It got me. I had to rebuild mine and doing it myself it still cost $4,000 in parts. I highly recommend doing the DIY open air intake for $40 to protect her from dusting and to inspect the air intake hoses regularly. alabamafrog/Powerstroke engine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A bad load of fuel can get you too, that also got me. So I also recommend the intank and prepump filter mods to help protect against dirty fuel and keep the air out of the injectors. That cost me around $30 to do. alabamafrog/Powerstroke Fuel system - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
I'm at 220,500 and he's running like a top. All you have to do is maintain the engine, oil, filters etc and beat on it a little. I do have to say that I've been falling off on maintaining mine as much as I should. I checked the oil the other day and I was 1.25 gallons low!!! Fixed that though. I am in need of an oil change and filter cleaning along with the fuel filter, but being unemployed, there isn't any $$$ to do it. I can't wait until I find out when I'm starting this new job. Should be this week!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I highly recommend doing the DIY open air intake for $40 to protect her from dusting and to inspect the air intake hoses regularly.
I haven't heard of this - where do I find out more? I tried your link but didn't know where in all those images of your truck I should be looking.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I haven't heard of this - where do I find out more? I tried your link but didn't know where in all those images of your truck I should be looking.

Thanks,
This is it;

There are lots of posts and a couple writeups on it on this website.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have 230,XXX on my OBS 7.3 and she runs like a new truck...with the exception of not liking the cold. I have had no major issues.

·
Registered
433 Posts
260,000 on mine and she runs great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy to see all the high mile trucks still running strong! I am looking forward to my truck hitting something like 200k+ before she gets retired..then we just need to get ford to make a new truck with the old 7.3...i dream about it all the time 2009 F250 with a 7.3 power plant

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Happy to see all the high mile trucks still running strong! I am looking forward to my truck hitting something like 200k+ before she gets retired..then we just need to get ford to make a new truck with the old 7.3...i dream about it all the time 2009 F250 with a 7.3 power plant
Well if you're going to dream, lets dream...

2009 F250 with a 7.3.

Factory options -
Billet rods, girdle + h11 mainstuds, h11 head studs, a ball bearing turbo and a BTS tranny from the factory.

Now that I get my head out of the clouds...

I broke a Powdered Metal Rod pushing over 400 rwhp.

I've got a new motor in the truck now, and it ran for about 2 weeks and now I have a no start issue. Should get it figured out out though and be back on the road soon. Should be putting down around 500 rwhp soon ;) If it lasts 50k I'm good :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes that would be more of a wet dream tho... But if you build the motor up with stud kit rods ext. and your not on it all the time you should get more than 50K no problem right?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Yes that would be more of a wet dream tho... But if you build the motor up with stud kit rods ext. and your not on it all the time you should get more than 50K no problem right?
If you're pushing 500 rwhp out of a 6.9, a 7.3 or a 6.0 be happy if you make 50k if you ever actually use the power. I once heard this comparison "saying you're not going to use the power is like telling your new girlfriend you'll only stick the.... err nevermind" :lol:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but don't build it thinking you'll be able to drive it as long as a stock truck at 1/2 or 1/4 of the power level! Tis hard on parts...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts