Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to this forum and trying to get used to it so bear with me please!馃榿 I've got a 99 7.3 powerstroke with 246k miles and it recently started leaking anti freeze and it has a loud knock when idling. I've brought it to ford and they said head gasket for the leaking anti freeze and a bent rod in the bottom end for the knock without putting it on the computer..... They also said with the bent rod I might as well be better off with a new motor! I'm trying to get other people's opinion before I sink tons of money in my play toy! Thanks

Registered
Hello.

Neither of those diagnostics would be found with the computer. What were you doing when the noise started? How much boost were you pushing?

A blown head gasket could cause the antifreeze leak. It would take quite a bit to bend a connecting rod. I would more guess a push rod.

Good luck,

Registered
I've heard some people saying that injectors can knock, too. But I've never heard one knock.

I don't know how you treat your truck, but an antifreeze leak and a bottom end knock does not sound like something small. Head gaskets don't normally blow on a 7.3, but can if you hammer on it long enough.

Please fill out your signature block with your truck info to give people an idea of what you drive.

Oh, and :ORG welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.