Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, new to this site, first forum ever. I have a 2000 f250 7.3L auto trans.
“mods” done are
Full billet 4r100
Billet triple disc torque converter
Bellowed up pips
Ebpv delete
Deleted pedestal
Wicked wheel
Hydra tuner
Custom tunes.

The issue is it will idle fine, a surge every other minute or so nothing crazy. But when driving if you let off the gas coming to a red light stop sign sharp corner etc, the truck will “key off” and die.
Throw it in neutral and it fires right back up 100% of the time. Truck runs beautiful at WOT it’s just when you are cruising and let off, it dies.
So far I have changed the oil, oil filter fuel filter
New IDM
New motorcraft ICP
IPR
CPS
The only codes I have gotten were (don’t remember the exact code #) but one was for the low/out of range icp
one for bad #8 cylinder mixture or whatever.
I’ve unplugged the tuner and it still does the issue.
hooked up to snap on scanner icp pressure is reading normal
Ipr pressure reads normal
Everthing looks Perfect and it just keys off.
icp plug is new no oil.
removed pcm there were no bent pins and wire harness checked out.
Even with the icp unplugged the issue is still present only thing that changes is it idles a lot more rough.
it’s been to 4 shops now and the issue can not be traced. Going to hookup a manual oil and fuel pressure gauge this week to see real analog readings.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Any questions comments or concerns I can answer. The more thorough I am with you all can better help you help me. Thanks in advance guys.

· Registered
2016 F250 CCSB 6.7 4WD
404 Posts
You can try driving it with data logging and try to recreate the issue. Once it happens go back and look at your data to see what conditions created the issue. A shop should have been able to do this, but it takes labor hours that most customers balk at paying for so shops typically don't do it. Most people want shops to wave a magic wand.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who's CPS did you put in???

If Aftermarket (you specified others as being Real sensors) then you might be seeing a very common symptom of using one....
I’m almost positive it was a motorcraft but, I have another one on the way that’ll be here Saturday that is a motorcraft just to be sure since it’s a very inexpensive sensor. So I’m going to check that, just confused as to why it’s still throwing an icp code when all of that checks out, unless the cps isn’t name brand and can trigger that.

You can try driving it with data logging and try to recreate the issue. Once it happens go back and look at your data to see what conditions created the issue. A shop should have been able to do this, but it takes labor hours that most customers balk at paying for so shops typically don't do it. Most people want shops to wave a magic wand.
the shop it’s at now is data logging with his snap on scanner and he’s baffled because it reads perfectly fine and then it just drops like a key off. He thinks it’s an hpop but I don’t buy it. He’s hooking up a fuel pressure gauge on the heads to read actual pressure while it does it in real time. It will happen 100% of the time can even make it do it in idle by a decent rev of the engine.

· Premium Member
9,831 Posts
just confused as to why it’s still throwing an icp code when all of that checks out, unless the cps isn’t name brand and can trigger that.
You can get an ICP code, not only for HiPres Oil problems, but also from a Fuel Delivery issue. I don't believe the ICP could be involved though.

You mentioned Unplugging the ICP sensor (as a Test) and that's a good idea but, you have to keep careful track of when you did that and when the codes were Cleared because unplugging it will generate a Low ICP code every time...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get an ICP code, not only for HiPres Oil problems, but also from a Fuel Delivery issue. I don't believe the ICP could be involved though.

You mentioned Unplugging the ICP sensor (as a Test) and that's a good idea but, you have to keep careful track of when you did that and when the codes were Cleared because unplugging it will generate a Low ICP code every time...
Makes sense, the shop is going to hook up an actual fuel pressure gauge and watch that real time this week and see what it does just baffled at what it could be.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2000 f250 7.3 4x4 only “mods” are deleted pedestal ebpv delete bellowed up pipes and a wicked wheel turbine blade.
truck just rolled 300k been having an issue where it stalls coming to a stop. So far I have replaced the ICP IPR CPS & IDM with ford motorcraft sensors. Still does the same exact thing. Only gotten worse. Checked pigtails all read good traced for bad wires can’t find any.
At idle the trucks ipr psi reads 547 with a duty cycle of 23%. Presses the brake all the way down and gas pedal too the truck reached a total of 1470 psi with a duty cycle of 51%. Didn’t die, did the test again in neutral with no load truck reached 2400 psi at 5% duty cycle and the second I started to let off the truck shuddered off.
obviously have a high pressure oil issue.
countless shops such as RiffRaff, blessed performance and thoroughbread diesel after talking on the phone and watching the video of the scanner doing the test have said it’s a weak Hpop. As it has gotten worse over the last few months from when I first noticed, the truck would fall but always catch itself like a really big lope, to dying every other drive 1-2 times to now dying every stop/ sharp corner.
Converter unlocks as I have a $4,500 billet trans in it. Truck does not really consume any oil, it fires right back up every single time. No blueish smoke out of the exhaust not even a smidge. No visible oil leaks are seen. Just would hate to buy an adrenaline pump and still have the same issue. Could it be bad injectors or is it just a weak/failing pump.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts