Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive recently acquired an 04 ex roller in awesome shape. was a 6.0 truck. the body is gorgeous and the 56k mile interior is perfect!! My issue is i have an e99 super duty with a 7.3 and a handshaker. the body on my pickup is rotten and beat up from front to back, but the motor and trans are still good. so basically im going to swap my engine with the handshaker into the ex. just wondering if there are any known issues i need to look for or be aware of as i dive in. any and all help, knowledge, and suggestions is much appreciated!! thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Will your state laws allow that?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most states are pretty lax on diesel swaps from what I've heard...

Unless you live in Cali

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
You'll run into computer issues... you'll need a stick shift computer, and alot of the wiring stuff... hope you're good with a multi-meter, and are willing to sit there for hours calmly tracing things out to get the 7.3 wiring harness to intigrate with the Ex harness...

Yes, it can be done. But it's going to take a while, and might not be cost effective.

And having both a 6sp truck, and an Ex, I'd love to have a 6sp in the Ex... that would be awesome, I tell my wife I'm gonna swap it almost every time I drive her Ex.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont think its going to be too hateful, im gonna have my pickup there as a donor and i have access to a 7.3 ex if i get stuck somewhere, just wondering what if anything they may have changed with the body control stuff..... and yeah having the only 6 spd ex around here is gonna be pretty cool too!!!!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
have you checked out the Ex fourum? You might want to talk to the guy who made his own '08 6.4 diesel Ex... I'm sure he would be willing to chat with you and having done it, will likely have a lot of good info that would be very helpful to you.

However, if you got the tools, the shop to do it in, and the time and will power to tackle it, I'm sure it can be done. You are off to a good start having both trucks there to rob parts from. Wish I was close to you and had the time to help, that's a project I'd love to do and be involved with...

Edit: I went over to the Excursion fourum, and bumped up the thread I was talking about... it's called Building an '08 Ex (pics), check it out, great read, lots of pics.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
08 Ex just click here. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I just had a friend take a 04 6.0 crew cab body and put on his 2001 f550 7.3 single cab frame we thought just mostly plug and play nope boy were we wrong we ended up pulling the dash and having to put the entire 7.3 wiring harness into the 6.0 cab

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,408 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I just had a friend take a 04 6.0 crew cab body and put on his 2001 f550 7.3 single cab frame we thought just mostly plug and play nope boy were we wrong we ended up pulling the dash and having to put the entire 7.3 wiring harness into the 6.0 cab

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
That's likely what will have to happen, with the Ex rear body wiring having to be spliced in as needed to work properly, for example, rear heat/A/C, rear lift gate power lock, dome lights, etc.

Having both trucks side by side, to disassemble, and compair to each other, will make things alot easier.

Too bad the donar Ex wasn't just a year newer... the '05-up coil spring front end, tighter turning front axle, and nicer looking front clip...

My dream project is an '5-07 crew cab extended cab short bed with late '99-2000 7.3 and 6 sp trans. One of these days...

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's likely what will have to happen, with the Ex rear body wiring having to be spliced in as needed to work properly, for example, rear heat/A/C, rear lift gate power lock, dome lights, etc.

Having both trucks side by side, to disassemble, and compair to each other, will make things alot easier.

Too bad the donar Ex wasn't just a year newer... the '05-up coil spring front end, tighter turning front axle, and nicer looking front clip...

My dream project is an '5-07 crew cab extended cab short bed with late '99-2000 7.3 and 6 sp trans. One of these days...
I thought the excursions never received the coil spring front ends? I thought even the '05's were still leaf spring fronts because that was their last year anyways? (The grill and bumper from those '05 sure looks nice though!)

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I thought the excursions never received the coil spring front ends? I thought even the '05's were still leaf spring fronts because that was their last year anyways? (The grill and bumper from those '05 sure looks nice though!)
I don't know... the only '05 Ex I've seen was a 2wd, and it was flyin' down the road... silver in color, looked nice!

I just assumed they would have the coils in the front of a 4x4...

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
No Excursions came with coil spring front suspension, 2 or 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The 2wd's were coils, right? The standard set up, like the trucks, I would think, when in the 2wd flavor... leafs for 4wd's, coils for the 2wd's. Then in 2005, both were coils, execpt for the 2005 4wd Ex?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts