Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
OBS PSD's have large exhaust housings, and take some rpm's for the turbo's to spool. Couple that with compression around 17.5:1, and the IDI with 21.5:1 compression allows the IDI to eat an OBS on the bottom end. The PSD's lower compression is offset by higher boost pressures, but because of the large exhaust housing, it takes a second for the turbo to fully spool up.

N/A Diesel's will always have snappy off idle performance due to their compression.

Anymore this is how I think of the 7.3IDI vs. PSD debate goes for me. If I wanted a truck that I would use for work (think like ranch truck, always has crap in the bed, dont care about body, etc) I would get the IDI. If I wanted a truck that has a potential to make good power, I would go for the PSD. If I did buy a PSD, I would buy a nice one, therefore not use it for work (hauling is ok, but not like the work above^^^). I feel IDI's can take much more abuse and keep going than a PSD. And even if they cant, used IDI engines can be found for way less than a grand.
x2 :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 93 IDI with 415000 miles with a turbo and 5 speed manual have no problems so far. I put a quart of out board motor oil every 3 tank of fuel for lubrication. Only thing replaced was the Alt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Test drive them both
The idi is a slug
The psd is not
If you are looking at trucks that old they both will have problems and need repairs
The test drive will make you more comfortable with your decision

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Just think of it as building a garage, you build it the way you want it,your happy, then 2 months later you say damn i should have built it bigger.:scuffy it's studded.:nod:

·
Machinist & Fabricator
676 Posts
i have both.
i love both.
my IDI is my daily driver, and shes no slouch! 94 7.3 105 cc IP, mark II injectors, 093 ATS with a WW2, inner cooled. this rig is just as fast as my stock 01 PSD.
what i really like about my IDI, is
1) it has a 5 speed.
2) i dont need a damn scanner to tell me whats wrong.
3) parts are alot cheaper!
4) you dont see many custom brick noses.

what i like about my 01 PSD
1) its comfortable as hell!
2) towing is alot better
3) i dont stand out, everyone and their mother has one.

for long tows, i take the 01, easier on my back
short trips and long drives without towing, i take the brick nose.
my 01 cant fit 8 adults like my 87 can.

oah, and the best part for me in california...NO SMOG!!!

·
Beach Bum
26,655 Posts
If you had a 1994 E350 based RV, would you want the IDI or the PS? Rear end is 4.10.
RV? prolly the PSD due to tuning for more power since yourem hauling some weight lol. IDI does well unloaded but not going anywhere fast. Turbo IDI helps but still mechanical.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts