Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 IDI vs 7.3 powerstroke?

103K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Jarrod B 
#1 ·
I found a 94 ford f-250 non powerstroke non turbo and the motor was just completely redone. My cousin's friend owns it and he is asking 6500 for it and he thinks he will let it go for 5000. How are these motors compared to the 7.3 powerstrokes? I don't know a whole lot about diesels in general, but I'm just curious as to how these motors are compared to the powerstrokes and if it worth the price considering her put over 2500 into rebuilding it. Thanks

#2 ·
Could be, depends on the config, as well as the miles on the rest of it.

a idi is a slug compared to a 7.3, and a non turbo is even worse. good durable engines, but slower than mollasses in the winter.

#3 ·
IDI's are tanks. Simple, reliable, and bullet proof. Yes they aren't 600 horse monsters, yes they aren't 300 horse mosters, but you can make them run forever. Look into a turbo kit and you will be much happier with it.

For 5000 the body better be in great condition. 5 speed?

#5 ·
How many miles are on it? If you could take him down to 4500 you would be getting a good deal,considering its an auto. Defiantly not worth the 6k he's asking, at least to me.

If you want more info on IDI's then check out Oilburners.net. That website is almost exclusively Ford IDI website and thier are alot of good people over there.

#8 ·
Here's a little comparison for ya, Set of new injectors for an IDI: $250, Set of new injectors for a 7.3 PSD: $1500 or more! If you want a truck that will do pretty much any job you need to do, just maybe not as fast, will be reliable, cheap and easy to work on, then get the IDI. If your looking for a truck that you can get 300+ HP and don't mind spending more money when repairs are needed the PSD is what you want although you're not gonna get 300 HP out of an early model PSD without some modifications.

$5000 seems a little steep to me unless the truck is in real good shape. Like was said above, look at getting a turbo kit for it and you'll like it much better. I have two IDI's, one non turbo and one with a factory turbo and there is a pretty big difference in my opinion.

#11 ·
I know.. I just cant decide.

We are only talking a difference of 3-4 years (at least in my case). I am looking at a 93 idi or a 96 stroke.
On one hand I like that the idi can be fixed with basic tools....simple and easy.
On the other hand I like that I can slap a chip on the PSD and be ready to rock.

At this point, Im leaning more towards the IDI because I wont be towing any super heavy loads and the truck will be used for road trips and to play off-road.

I really do want a PSD but Im afraid I dont have the income (work for a small rural sheriffs office) to repair such a vehicle should something large go out.

thoughts? GO!

#13 ·
Id trade my 95 for a 93-94 IDI in a heartbeat. My IDI towed loads just as heavy and just as well as my PSD, albeit a little slower, but beats my PSD any day of the week on low end grunt right when you put the foot to it. I absolutely loved my IDI, and was very upset to see it go. Plus they sound absolutely incredible straight piped. There is an IDI that runs around here with dual miters, and it sounds just great. my choice would be the IDI

#23 ·
Test drive them both
The idi is a slug
The psd is not
If you are looking at trucks that old they both will have problems and need repairs
The test drive will make you more comfortable with your decision

#25 ·
Just think of it as building a garage, you build it the way you want it,your happy, then 2 months later you say damn i should have built it bigger.:scuffy it's studded.:nod:

#26 ·
i have both.
i love both.
my IDI is my daily driver, and shes no slouch! 94 7.3 105 cc IP, mark II injectors, 093 ATS with a WW2, inner cooled. this rig is just as fast as my stock 01 PSD.
what i really like about my IDI, is
1) it has a 5 speed.
2) i dont need a damn scanner to tell me whats wrong.
3) parts are alot cheaper!
4) you dont see many custom brick noses.

what i like about my 01 PSD
1) its comfortable as hell!
2) towing is alot better
3) i dont stand out, everyone and their mother has one.

for long tows, i take the 01, easier on my back
short trips and long drives without towing, i take the brick nose.
my 01 cant fit 8 adults like my 87 can.

oah, and the best part for me in california...NO SMOG!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.