Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 7.3 IDI turbo from 2001 for my boat, but i have no exprerience of them.

I got pictures of engine from the seller, can you see if it a marine 7.3 IDI or just "normal" truck engine?

This is the details from the original bill

Date: Nov 7, 2001
Total price: $8717.32
Serial Number: 233189

Sorry guys if my english is not the best, live in Finland
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow I never knew that they put these in boats, now I have a new junkyard to search. From teh looks of it the turbo kit is def. not the same as a truck. The rest is greek to me. I have a Econoline engine in my truck, I would think a boat and truck and boat engines would be basically the same, just bolt on stuff...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
They have a "maranized" kit for these IDI's.

I would be worried about cavitation, which lets oil and water mix in the engine. It is caused by the wrong coolant being used, and as I think these trucks pull water from whatever body of water the boat is in, I dont know....

So just go look at it, make sure it runs good, no blue or white smoke, ect.

And your english was fine my friend

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
But it is a regular old pickup 7.3 IDI...the only difference is it has different exhaust manifolds, a turbo setup, and the cooling system. Everything else should be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for you time and help guys!

The seller claims the engine Propshaft 260HP, must be about Crankshaft HP290-300 does it sound reasonable?

Engine Serial Number: 233189

Can you chip it to get more hp?

Thanks again for all help i get from you guys!

Fredrik

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I've heard they had them turned up way high. I honestly dont know what they do to achieve that though.

The motor is in-direct injected, and is all mechanical, so if you want more power you have to do it yourself. I dont know if you can turn it up anymore as it already is pretty high.

What are you going to do with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put it in my boat:)

I have gas V8 Mercruiser 454 330hp, but i am thinking about to change to diesel (cheaper to drive).

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were can I find out more about these "marinized" kits. I had thought that the compression ratios in marine diesels were different then the ons in trucks, making it not worth it to put a truck engine in a boat. I am thinking of repowering my 28ft hatteras but cant afford new diesels but a pair of 7.3 IDIs would be awsome. The simplicity of these engines would be great.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have only seen these kits for sale...not much info at them.

The compression might be a little lower, that might be true. The higher compression wont hurt in a boat, it'll still turn those props.

I would love this swap too...if you do it get plenty of pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts