Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '91 3/4 ext cab with a zf 5 speed manual tranny and 4x4, installed an ats turbo and heavyduty clutch and flywheel. Has 130k miles. While driving a few days ago, a loud knocking began then the motor died. I trieto turn it over once but nothing. I'm guessing it seized up. Dipstick wasn't dry but it needed a lot of oil even though I got a change 2 months ago. Would it be better to rebuild the IDI or swap to a Powerstroke? If swap, what complications could come from it? Could I use the ATS turbo on the powerstroke to twin turbo the powerstroke?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I own a '91 3/4 ext cab with a zf 5 speed manual tranny and 4x4, installed an ats turbo and heavyduty clutch and flywheel. Has 130k miles. While driving a few days ago, a loud knocking began then the motor died. I trieto turn it over once but nothing. I'm guessing it seized up. Dipstick wasn't dry but it needed a lot of oil even though I got a change 2 months ago. Would it be better to rebuild the IDI or swap to a Powerstroke? If swap, what complications could come from it? Could I use the ATS turbo on the powerstroke to twin turbo the powerstroke?
Probably did seize if it needed a LOT of oil. As far as rebuilding the IDI or swapping a powerstroke in, its just really a money issue. And what you mean by "better", like cheaper, more powerful, etc. You would require A LOT of powerstroke parts, but your zf-5 should work. I doubt you could get the ATS in there and run sequential turbo's, just not that kinda room. And running parallel turbos requires A LOT of fab. The only complication from swapping in a powerstroke would be making sure its done right. It would actually probably be easier to swap a mechanical 12v cummins in, just because they're so straight forward, and have no electrical crap. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Oh and welcome to the org :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and I already know the money is going to be a big number either way, and I've heard that its hard to get power from the IDI compared to the powerstroke, so if I'm going to be dumping cash into it, I want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Thanks, and I already know the money is going to be a big number either way, and I've heard that its hard to get power from the IDI compared to the powerstroke, so if I'm going to be dumping cash into it, I want to do it right the first time.
Yeah, the IDI just cant put up the numbers a direct injected diesel can. Do you have a number in mind you want to spend on it? Because for the price of a swap you can probably get a decent 94.5-97 obs powerstroke. Unless you have a REALLY nice truck (minus the engine lol) or some sort of sentimental attachment to it I'd just suggest that. But if you have the cash and want to be unique id go ahead and throw a PSD in there, something you dont see much.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Any of them would work. IMHO i would go with a 99.5 - 00 motor and components. Ready to go for a big build should you decide to. In reality though all of them are good. You might here some smack talk about early 99's, but they're still better than 94.5-97's. The 94.5 - 97's you wouldn't have to worry about installing an intercooler though. Just depends on what you want/ can afford though.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I'm 99% sure the zf5 would mount the same to any 6.9 idi, 7.3 idi, or 7.3 power stroke. They're all basically the same block. someone will correct me if im wrong on that though.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
:ban: .

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
WOW! That was probably the most un-called for thing I have ever just read.:doh:

If you could find a parts truck pretty cheap(a wreck from a salvage yard) you could come out pretty good. Good Luck:thumb:
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
WOW! That was probably the most un-called for thing I have ever just read.:doh:

If you could find a parts truck pretty cheap(a wreck from a salvage yard) you could come out pretty good. Good Luck:thumb:
:icon_ford:
Yeah, arnt trolls great? :doh:

The biggest problem with finding a truck from a salvage yard is most of them are there because they are non runners...

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts