Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 f250 hd 7.3 just recently it has becoming infuriating driving it because how hard it shifts (up or down) hardest shifts are 2-3 but recently one is rough too. If I manually shift it is better but something is obviously wrong. My OD light is not blinking and the solenoid was replaced when I bought it. I cannot find an answer so I made an account and started a thread any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,122 Posts
With my '01, in December, w/268K+ miles, I had very similar things happening. Extremely hard shift 1-2. Had to manually put it in 2nd to keep that from happening. When it would shift into over drive, the engine would rev, but no go. Had to push the OD button on the stalk to keep in 3rd. Trans had to be rebuilt. The 4R100 I have and your E4OD are very similar transmissions. Don't like being the bearer of bad news, but......

·
Registered
16 Posts
With my '01, in December, w/268K+ miles, I had very similar things happening. Extremely hard shift 1-2. Had to manually put it in 2nd to keep that from happening. When it would shift into over drive, the engine would rev, but no go. Had to push the OD button on the stalk to keep in 3rd. Trans had to be rebuilt. The 4R100 I have and your E4OD are very similar transmissions. Don't like being the bearer of bad news, but......
I do appreciate the input not what I wanted to hear haha. It only has 149,000 and trans was checked out awhile ago. The shop I talked to seemed to believe it was a sensor as they just had another come in with similar issue. I’m going to try the computer reset but I pray I don’t need to rebuild

But I will say once it is out of two It’s perfect, my ranger had same issue but I just dealt with it on that truck.

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,122 Posts
I do appreciate the input not what I wanted to hear haha. It only has 149,000 and trans was checked out awhile ago. The shop I talked to seemed to believe it was a sensor as they just had another come in with similar issue. I’m going to try the computer reset but I pray I don’t need to rebuild
By all means, try the computer reset and/or sensor. If it fixes it - say out loud, "Whew!" and enjoy the drive. Fingers crossed for ya!

·
Registered
16 Posts
By all means, try the computer reset and/or sensor. If it fixes it - say out loud, "Whew!" and enjoy the drive. Fingers crossed for ya!
Thanx mate, honestly new to diesels I have always wanted a 97 obs 7.3 but all things tend to be projects if you want them.

so it’s been checked out by couple people at the shop abd they said it’s shifting fine so I guess it’s in my head or something

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took after a week of driving after the shop said they can not find an issue.... it started spraying tranny fluid on my drive way after a trip. Turns out was a bad gasket just had it fixed today the thing now rolllllllls

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.