Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much fuel does a 7.3 use in an hour ? At idle, no a/c.

And also, I heard that the 6.0s dosen't really like long idle period because of the turbo. Does the 7.3s care about doing a hour or more of idling ?
Thanks!

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Burns a half gallon and hour... you can let them both idle as long as you want, just be sure to "clean" it out :evillol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
its not very good to let any diesel engine idle for long periods of time. It will glaze the cylinder walls causing lots of blowby and low compression.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
its not very good to let any diesel engine idle for long periods of time. It will glaze the cylinder walls causing lots of blowby and low compression.
Could you elaborate, please.............................

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
:doh::doh:

Nope. Wet stacking could be a concern though. But if its idled up a little you're good.

As to the 6.0 the new flash fixes the sticky vanes at idle issue.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I usualy idle mine up before idleing a half hour or longer.

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
sitting at a dead idle isnt bad as long as it isnt for a long period of time. If it is going to be run for a long period you should find some way to raise the idle at least a few hundred rpm, 1000 rpm would be probably the best. Go where its cold, sometimes trucks hardly ever get turned off in the winter. I myself have run them around the clock, but to run them all the time the idle needs to be raised

·
Registered
116 Posts
How would extended idling cause cylinder wall glazing more than running it at higher rpms? I've let my truck idle for hours on end. I have 165,000 miles with no more blowby then when it had 100,000 miles. And still has the same power. Newer electronically controlled diesels don't wash down cylinders like the old mechanical diesels do. If that what your thinking.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
:hehe::hehe::hehe::tard::tard::tard:

Dude oh my god:hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
505 Posts
What is considered a "long time", are you talking 30 minutes, 2 hours, 4 hours, etc?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I let my 97 idle for 4 hours while I waited in traffic. We moved a total of 2 miles, although the weather was in the mid-40's. I occasionaly brought the RPM's to 1000 or so when we would move forward a bit. I'd agree, I probably used about 1/2 gal/hr.

Hopefully I didn't do any damage, the truck seems as solid as it was before. Keep in mind, I've got 232,000 on my OBS.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is considered a "long time", are you talking 30 minutes, 2 hours, 4 hours, etc?
Right now it's -25°C here and the truck idle 10 to 20 minutes before I leave. I don't consider that a long time, but sometimes I will let it idle for an hour or so. Let's say, next month we should have some really cold days below -30, and I think I won't shut the truck off for, example, my lunch break (1 hour).

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Wait are we talking glazing the cylinders or the donuts in the passenger seat:hehe:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you google diesel wet stacking it will tell you more than you want to know about the issue and how to prevent it. Sometimes you just need the right search words. Oh and by the way Eric every time I see the new Gif in your signature I begin to laugh uncontrolably! JJ

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
:hijack:
Erik, is that your dog jumping out of the truck?

You guys shouldn't :pointlaugh: not nice :bottom:

:backtotopic:

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
:hehe: whodah thunk this thread would turn into a to idle or not to idle debate. I for one with 430,000 miles on mine WILL be letting it idle, like i always have, or if for long periods with the idle slightly raised with my trusty idle control module(rock placed by accelerator to hold pedal down a smidge). Ya'll can do what ya want but idleing a diesel is way better than shutting it off and restarting it all the time :thumb:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:hehe: whodah thunk this thread would turn into a to idle or not to idle debate. I for one with 430,000 miles on mine WILL be letting it idle, like i always have, or if for long periods with the idle slightly raised with my trusty idle control module(rock placed by accelerator to hold pedal down a smidge). Ya'll can do what ya want but idleing a diesel is way better than shutting it off and restarting it all the time :thumb:
LOL Thats right. I used to work OTR driver for a man in Dallas and would go on the lot every once in a while. He would always go over to my truck idling in the lot maybe for an hour or two and shut it off. I asked him why and he said I was wasting his diesel fuel. I asked him if he had turned off his house AC when he left this morning and his answer was well no. It's 110 and would be hot when I get home. I told him then why did you just shut the AC of in my home for the next couple days. After that I started looking the door while it was idling. He would just try to open the door and then walk away shaking his head. That truck would run not get shut off till I went home for the week. LOL JJ

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.