Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious of the pros & cons of each and would you do it again or do you wish you had done the other?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have the 7.3 mod and love it. Tow with my 6.0 Ex (pushing max weight) on a 24 mile 6%-8% grade and push it. Oil tops at 225 and coolant around 215. Almost all of the run at 65-75 mph except the last bit (the 8% portion). Then it's 50-55 mph due to EGT temps.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Having towed with both…I wouldn’t own a 6.0 without the 7.3 clutch.

Reactions: TwinExcursions

·
Registered
970 Posts
With the 7.3 does it set a code or check engine light?
No check engine light but it does set 2 DTC's for fan - clutch and speed if memory is correct

·
Registered
970 Posts
These DTC's will be set top 2

·
Registered
356 Posts
No check engine light but it does set 2 DTC's for fan - clutch and speed if memory is correct

This is correct.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe have your tuner change the parameters needed so the OEM fan does what you want it to do. These two mods always confused me. I guess its what they always say if the truck came with a clutch fan we would all be looking for a way to upgrade to ECU controlled.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Edit my typo to remove CEL

That's interesting to know thanks.

I never worry about the DTC's as I know they are from the mod and don't affect anything that I know of. Kinda the same as the P0611 FICM one - it's always there due to a Swamps Diesel 58v FICM. Don't affect anything and when I check DTC's I just pass over these 3.

·
Registered
970 Posts
That's interesting to know thanks.

I never worry about the CEL DTC's as I know they are from the mod and don't affect anything that I know of. Kinda the same as the P0611 FICM one - it's always there due to a Swamps Diesel 58v FICM. Don't affect anything and when I check DTC's I just pass over these 3.

@ZMANN bobbled on quoting you

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I would not recommend either unless you have an issue.

I changed to the 7.3 fan clutch as part of a troubleshooting process to find a squeal, and it did not fix the squeal, but my truck runs much cooler.

Honestly though, the 6.0 is designed to run at higher temps. If you see no higher than 220 ECT and 234 EOT going up an extended 6.0 grade, I don’t see a problem. The fan should kick on at that point really loud and bring the temps a little cooler.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
Personally I think we are learning that running all the way to the limit of temperature on these 6.0's is detrimental to their longevity.

Previous thread on the topic:

The point at which the PCM limits the fueling is 221 *F coolant and 253*F oil and you would do better keeping a reasonable distance from these points - even when working the engine hard for short periods. These are Ford and International documented limits. The blue wire mod at least allows you to use it when you need it and turn it off when you don't. It is also cheap.

We know that heat will reduce the life on the soft goods (seals and o-rings) in the high pressure oil system. Also, take a look at what oil viscosity is when you get up above say 230*F (and it can be significantly hotter at internal engine locations). It can be 10 cSt or possibly lower. You need a certain viscosity in the HPO system and for proper lubrication. If you have to run that hot, then go for it, just realize the consequences over time.

My goal has always been to make this a 350k + engine, and to do so with the least headaches. Assuming our heads "tent" over time (and I agree that this is most likely the central issue with heads) due to insufficient clamping force/placement, high temperatures is going to accelerate it (along with high cylinder pressure). It (high temps) is also responsible for many wiring failure issues.

FICMs, oil coolers, and EGR coolers all suffer from excessive heat failures. Probably there is more.

·
Administrator
32,673 Posts
I never worry about the CEL
I would not run with a CEL illuminated for very long , it will keep you from being alerted to a any other CEL worthy issue
the trouble codes are no biggie for me since emissions doe not fail us for those. I get one for my 52 gal fuel tank ( until I can figure out forscan) and the blue wire mod if I use it and don't clear it

·
Administrator
32,673 Posts
Chris I forget if you fixed your squeall ? I have a new one also and I don't think it is the WP pulley

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Edited after proofing.

I think lubricity is the major issue with the cam lobe and lifter failures on the 6.0, both in terms of temperature and debris in the oil. Both of those items are highly stressed from the standpoint of Hertzian contact pressure. I researched papers looking at the lubrication effect and failure modes, started a video but never finished it. Some of the findings were presented in a thread over on FTE. This is a motor that needs good oil temps and clean oil. You can trace people's oil cooler clogging to a later cam/lifter failure to some extent. While we might say that the oil filters have a high capture rate, there is a pressure bypass related to the differential across the filter media when the oil is cold and has a higher viscosity. Just about all engines have this, the filter bypasses when cold and debris that has settle overnight in the pan is pulled up at the cold start, bypassing filtration and into the channels to the lifters and lobe lubrication. The inspections are done with lifter needle bearings from the lifter that appear to be in good condition show fracture on the rolling surface. That material adds to the potential of more fracture as the displaced material becomes another high-stress point for another needle bearing.

From my lifter video: My lifters never failed, saw up to about a 20º ECT/EOT differential, but when the Ford reman was assembled, they left a lot of debris in the engine. So along with main bearing debris, I think the needle bearings show both fracture and debris scoring the needles.

Office supplies Cosmetics Writing implement Pen Tints and shades

Writing implement Wood Office supplies Cable Wire

Non-published, from 87crewdually (FTE) non-lifter failure at ~185k miles). There are more fractures than I arrowed; Pete had a wye pipe failure and lost his coolant, later replaced his heads as the over temperature stressed the bolts over the exhaust ports. However, Pete had taken care of his truck exceptionally well; good oil, good filters.

Musical instrument Temperature Office supplies Gas Gun accessory

I still haven't torn down G8orford's lifters that I got from him almost two years ago; I'm so behind. He had a cooler that was clogged and later had cam/lifter failure.

Rim Machine Metal Gas Wood

So for me, temperature matters, as does clean oil. Would it matter if there was a bypass filter? That's hard to say. I had one on my 7.3L and maybe will install it on the 6.0L. Unfortunately, it does not do much sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I would not run with a CEL illuminated for very long , it will keep you from being alerted to a any other CEL worthy issue
the trouble codes are no biggie for me since emissions doe not fail us for those. I get one for my 52 gal fuel tank ( until I can figure out forscan) and the blue wire mod if I use it and don't clear it
Sorry CEL I do pay attention to, I will run with it on as I did when glow plug 4 DTC came up (until I could repair). When I do run with it on I check daily to make sure nothing else is amiss (as you said worthy issue). I should have been more clear in previous post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Edited after proofing.

I think lubricity is the major issue with the cam lobe and lifter failures on the 6.0, both in terms of temperature and debris in the oil. Both of those items are highly stressed from the standpoint of Hertzian contact pressure. I researched papers looking at the lubrication effect and failure modes, started a video but never finished it. Some of the findings were presented in a thread over on FTE. This is a motor that needs good oil temps and clean oil. You can trace people's oil cooler clogging to a later cam/lifter failure to some extent. While we might say that the oil filters have a high capture rate, there is a pressure bypass related to the differential across the filter media when the oil is cold and has a higher viscosity. Just about all engines have this, the filter bypasses when cold and debris that has settle overnight in the pan is pulled up at the cold start, bypassing filtration and into the channels to the lifters and lobe lubrication. The inspections are done with lifter needle bearings from the lifter that appear to be in good condition show fracture on the rolling surface. That material adds to the potential of more fracture as the displaced material becomes another high-stress point for another needle bearing.

From my lifter video: My lifters never failed, saw up to about a 20º ECT/EOT differential, but when the Ford reman was assembled, they left a lot of debris in the engine. So along with main bearing debris, I think the needle bearings show both fracture and debris scoring the needles.

View attachment 778299

View attachment 778300

Non-published, from 87crewdually (FTE) non-lifter failure at ~185k miles). There are more fractures than I arrowed; Pete had a wye pipe failure and lost his coolant, later replaced his heads as the over temperature stressed the bolts over the exhaust ports. However, Pete had taken care of his truck exceptionally well; good oil, good filters.

View attachment 778301

I still haven't torn down G8orford's lifters that I got from him almost two years ago; I'm so behind. He had a cooler that was clogged and later had cam/lifter failure.

View attachment 778306

So for me, temperature matters, as does clean oil. Would it matter if there was a bypass filter? That's hard to say. I had one on my 7.3L and maybe will install it on the 6.0L. Unfortunately, it does not do much sitting on the shelf.
good proof why Ford states only oil meeting is spec should be used to limit wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you run the wire in to the cab? What path did you follow and what gauge wire? If there is a writeup on here you can point me to i would much appreciate the help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts