Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 F350 7.3 powerstroke with a automatic transmission,My problem started yesterday, I just got out on the road, and around 3rd gear, and out of know where the engine bogs down (no power) could not get over 25mph or so. I changed CPS sensor and new fuel filter, no help!:dunno:
Any Ideas? and how do I go about pulling codes?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
did your check engine light come on??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could it be?

My 94 had a similiar problem about a year ago and it turned out to be that the cad. converter was plug. May not be but it would be a cheap fix.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I have a 2001 F350 7.3 powerstroke with a automatic transmission,My problem started yesterday, I just got out on the road, and around 3rd gear, and out of know where the engine bogs down (no power) could not get over 25mph or so. I changed CPS sensor and new fuel filter, no help!:dunno:
Any Ideas? and how do I go about pulling codes?
25mph in 3rd? What happens if you hold it in 1st and 2nd? Does the motor bog at the same rpm? How does the engine sound at idle?

You'll need to pull some codes and if possible watch the data stream. Professional scanners can read the trans data also.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The 01 F250 that my wife drives has done the same thing. (It's a 6 spd). You'll just be driving along and lose all power: runs, idles fine but NO acceleration. Usually stop, kill and restart truck and it's fine. It used to do it pretty often but after I replaced a bad CPS it quit for several months but it just did it again the other day.

And this may sound strange but when i used to drive it everyday(instead of the wife) 90% of the times it did this was after I cut it off/back on to order at the drive @ lunch.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
After the engine bogs down, and you get off of the pedal, does it act right again? Could be the EBPV going bad, and closing on you. I'd try unplugging it at the turbo, and seeing what happens. Unplugging it, will set a soft CEL, but wont illuminate the CEL. Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
No, getting off the pedal does not help. Only switching truck off and restarting will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 7.3 with the banks big wheel turbo, banks big head actuator with banks monster exhaust. 3 days ago i was driving up a small hill that i usually fly up in 5th gear and was forced to downshift to 3rd due to my truck losing all power, the engine revs up but there is absolutely no power. I changed the CPS and checked to see that the turbo is spinning. I ran a diagnostic test and found these codes, can anyone help me? PLEASE !

The Check Engine Light Never Comes On

CODES: P0475 Exhaust pressure control valve
P0476 Exhaust pressure control valve performance
P0541 Intake air heater circuit low
P1247 Turbo boost pressure low
P1248 Turbo boost pressure not detected
p1280 ICP circuit out of range

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP

:dunno::doh::icon_ford:I have a 2001 7.3 with the banks big wheel turbo, banks big head actuator with banks monster exhaust. 3 days ago i was driving up a small hill that i usually fly up in 5th gear and was forced to downshift to 3rd due to my truck losing all power, the engine revs up but there is absolutely no power. I changed the CPS , the fuel pump, and the fuel filter. I checked to see that the turbo is spinning. I ran a diagnostic test and found these codes, can anyone help me? PLEASE !

The Check Engine Light Never Comes On

CODES: P0475 Exhaust pressure control valve
P0476 Exhaust pressure control valve performance
P0541 Intake air heater circuit low
P1247 Turbo boost pressure low
P1248 Turbo boost pressure not detected
p1280 ICP circuit out of range

:dunno:
:icon_ford:
:doh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
did you get it solved

I have a 1996 F350 w/ 7.3L and I am having a very similar problem. Going along in 3rd/4th and then bogs down to 15-20 MPH. If you deal with it for a couple of minutes it will catch and fire like normal then run great. The bogged down periods became more frequent and long. Now it has quit and will not restart? I was wondering what you found with yours as it sounded similar...?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I haven't solved mine yet as it only does it maybe once a month now. It used to do it weekly, sometimes daily before my CPS went out. After I replaced that I had no problems for several months, now it is starting again.

Rowdydog: if your's won't run at all I would suggest a CPS(cam positioning sensor) replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I have a 1996 F350 w/ 7.3L and I am having a very similar problem. Going along in 3rd/4th and then bogs down to 15-20 MPH. If you deal with it for a couple of minutes it will catch and fire like normal then run great. The bogged down periods became more frequent and long. Now it has quit and will not restart? I was wondering what you found with yours as it sounded similar...?
Rowdy, check your fuel pump as well. Also what brand of oil are you using, and have you checked the level?

Willie, if yours does it again, if you still have the Hypertech on it, return it to stock and drive it awhile to see if it still does it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Rowdy, check your fuel pump as well. Also what brand of oil are you using, and have you checked the level?

Willie, if yours does it again, if you still have the Hypertech on it, return it to stock and drive it awhile to see if it still does it.
twildman(oh great one) The truck did this before the hypertech was installed as well. I bought the truck with 75,000 and it did this a couple days after I bought it. 3.5 years later with 170,000 it is still doing it, although not as frequent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought the CPS

TWILDMAN...
I picked up the CPS and will attempt installation of new on this afternoon - I just have to figure out the where/how to of it (looking online now to see how to)
Also, the oil was WAY, WAY (shamefully) down. She has been nursing a moderated rear main seal leak and I had forgotten to check it lately. Added nearly one gallon. Is the a oil pump priming something to look into?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solved

Twildman et all...
Just a little feedback on the problem.
I successfully changed the CPS out over the weekend.
I charged both batteries and she cranked right up.
While I was at it, I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter.
(Do you think with a K&N filter that the foam wrap-around screen in the filter box is still required? - I left it out but still have it if it is needed)

With the truck running I ran it around the section to the west of me and for the first time I heard the turbo whine when I stepped down on the skinny petal. The truck now has pick up like ever before. It is a F-350, crew cab long bed with 250K miles, and d*mn does it luanch now.

Since you guys were so helpfull with that problem, I was wondering if you could help out with one other little problem...can you lower the price of fuel so I don't have to call the banker to get approval before passing someone...

Thanks again !

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the engine bogs down, and you get off of the pedal, does it act right again? Could be the EBPV going bad, and closing on you. I'd try unplugging it at the turbo, and seeing what happens. Unplugging it, will set a soft CEL, but wont illuminate the CEL. Hope you find the problem.
What are the ebpv and cel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts