Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update with Data 7.3 Died suddenly, no start

Have a problem with my 2000 7.3 that I am at a loss for.

Was running perfectly, no issues.

Started it up, backed down the driveway, and it started missing, rattling and cel came on.

No power, and it died. Started once right after that, ran really badly, cel flashing? Would not start after that.

Now if I let it crank and pump throttle, it will stumble a couple times after cranking for a while but no start.
Here is what I checked.

Batteries fully charged.
Wts light works as normal.
Oil level perfect.
Fuel comes out of bowl drain under pressure when Key cycled.
Light white smoke when cranking.
New cps
No blown fuses
Wont start when plugged in.

Only have a cheap scanner, gets p1316 code

Won't start with icp unplugged. (But connector does have oil in it)
Really can't afford AE right now, looking for other ways to diagnose.

Any idea what to check next?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You could check the uvch but past that, you'll need something to monitor live data and perform tests

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same symptoms

Hi
I just 2 hours ago experienced the same problem
I was wondering if you were able to figure it out yet?
Please let me know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, haven't gotten anywhere yet. Just got a snap on mt2500 and y0ropriate cartridges from eBay, so will be running buzz test and monitoring icp when it gets here. Will update then.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Order in a re-manned ICP off eBay. Mine was like $60.

While you're doing that buzz test, you might as well to a cylinder contribution test. I was having issues with my IDM and it was causing stumbling. Never caused her to die though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, finally got my scanner and could do some tests.

Buzz test:

Got following codes.
p0273 Cyl 5 inj circuit low
p1271 Cyl 1 (A) High side to low side open
p1277 Cyl 7 (C) High side to low side open
p1275 cyl 5 (f) " " " " " \
p1293 High side open Bank #1 Right
p1294 High side open Bank #2 Left

ICP builds to over 2000 when cranking
ICP % builds to 39%

Does this sound like UVCH?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I am thinking UVCH. fairly easy to check too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I tried unplugging the ICP with no luck. I am ready to pull the valve covers to check the UVCH, but have to wait for next day off.

Only thing that I'm hesitant of is I rarely see the clips causing a no start, usually just running bad.

Need to do the 50 cent mod anyway so that is next try!

I am leaning towards a bad IDM though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Both uvch ohm perfect. When I cleared all codes and reran koeo and buzz tests, now I am only getting p0605, and p1275 cyl 5 high to low open, and p1294 high side open left bank. Cleared and ran both about 5 times, keep getting same codes. Does this tell me I have a wiring issue on passenger side somewhere?

This is getting a little frustrating!

Don't know if it helps diagnosis, but will not start even with ether.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, another update.

Fully charged batteries, cleaned terminals (noticed that while cranking, vpwr dropped to 10.2) Pulled the DP Tuner completely out (should have done that first!)

Checked out IDM p and box are dry and clean.

Plugged in Block heater for 4 hours

Now when cranking it is stumbling like its trying to fire, but still nothing.

Cleared all codes, reran KoEo and buzz test several times. Now just getting P1293 and p1294. Buzz test sounds funny though, when all fire at first it rattles funny. Then each of the 8 buzzes sound ok.

Help! Not sure what to do next!

·
Registered
58 Posts
grab an allen wrench and remove the plug on top of your HPOP
drop allen wrench in hole and check to see if oil is within 1 inch of hole.
if not..
get a new HPOP

if so....

have someone smack your IDM while your cranking... if it starts you know what to replace. (this is what I suspect is your issue)

if you know anyone with 99.5 - 03 with the 7.3 you can borrow there IDM for a min to see if it fixes.

no flashing / programming required

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
A new hpop if the oil level is low? :doh:
That would indicate lpop.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled both valve covers today, connectors were pulled out maybe 1/8 inch.

Did the 50 cent mod, re-torqued rockers and injectors and put it back together.

Same as before. Cranks and cranks. Stumbles like it wants to fire, but not quite. Smoke pours out of tailpipe while cranking.

Tried banging on IDM while cranking as suggested above, nothing different.

Hpop oil level down maybe 1/2 inch.

Thinking its probably the IDM, but dont know about the smoke while cranking. Wouldnt a bad IDM not inject diesel?

·
Registered
883 Posts
my 97 stumbled and wouldn't run or start lots of smoke from tailpipe but no start was bad idm

·
Registered
58 Posts
a bad IDM is not all works or nothing works. part of the board can be bad and the IDM might only be sending a signal to 5 of the injectors.. hence the smoke and trying to start but not firing up.

you can also pull the IDM and shake it.. you were pulling down your driveway you said... could there be water in your IDM that sloshed and freaked everything out?

I would verify the wiring to the injectors is good and ohm the wires from the IDM harness through the injectors and back.... if everything ohm's out good and ohm's between 2-4 ohm's AND you know the ECM is getting 10.5 volts or more while cranking then I would surely suspect the IDM.

see if you can borrow one from someone.. it is the fastest way to verify a bad IDM without having to spend a bunch of $$$$

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Followed the ohming instructions from GB for the Idm connector. Everything looked within specs. Ordered a rebuilt Idm from rockauto, it fired right up! Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, I'm having similar problems, with a different original onset.. I was driving down the road pulling my camper and it just died... replaced the cps, just put on a new, well, re-manned idm and had already replaced the o-rings on the injectors and put new uvch on both sides and new glow plugs...... still nothing, and now, I'm getting the codes p1275 (injector 5), p1277 (injector7), and p1293 (injector open high side bank one or two)..... need help, but I know we're all busy.........

2000 f350 7.3 4X4 performance tuner

(512)922-8213

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Is the "wait to start" light coming on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts