Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im havn a problem with my truck at accelaration. about the time my truck hits about 50 mph the check engine light kicks on and then my truck falls flat on its face. I have a 7.3 it has bdp stage 3 injectors500cc dual stealth pumps bdp reg return fuel system custom built lower end wiht arp h studs hypermaxx internals with bullet rods sleeved block and head work all caped of with a hte charger intercooled. just to give and idea what im dealing with. any help would b appreciated. and if luke cline gets ahold of this thread its Matt from Illinois. Thanks guys:dunno:

·
Registered
517 Posts
pull the code and post it, it sure will make things easier and probably quicker for you. Vandalia Ohio?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice truck Matt

If it's your ICP sensor you can unplug it and run her out and see if it reoccurs. By unplugging the ICP you force the computer to run a default set of values which will greatly affect performance but it is designed to get her back to the barn where you can better work on her. If that's all you do and the problem does not reoccur then you probably just need and ICP sensor.

If I were you I would go to a hydraulic shop and get a little whip made that screws onto the schrader valve and has a 100 pound gauge on the other end. Then get a bigger whip made that hooks up to the driver's side high pressure port into the head with a "T" on the one end to be put in-line between the head port fitting and the high pressure line going to it and a 4,000 pound gauge on the other end. Take her for a spin and see if the fuel pressure drops out at 50 or if the high pressure oil supply for the injection control pressure is the culprit. Check your crankcase oil level, too. If it's overfilled you could have a foaming oil problem at high speeds. You should always check your oil first in every case but I mentioned the gauges first with you since you have such a radically modded truck you should have the tools that go along with that kind of advanced mrechanical application.

Sometimes a truck that falls out like that has a malfunctioning exhaust back pressure valve. Unplug and try her out. It is on the front down low on the driver's side. It'll store a code but I don't think it will light the CEL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similiar problem with power loss. At times the check engine light comes on, then the tranmission feels like it disengages until I let off the accelerator and the truck finds itself again. Also the engine seems to have lost power even when traveling down the hwy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
f350 hauler i have all the guages to go along with everything else ive got the speck series gauagestwo egt gauges intercooler temp guage tranny guage boost and nitrous pressure gauge. i do not have a ebp valve my hypermaxx charger does no have the option of runin a ebp valve. Thanks for the help ive just got my truck fixed i had a couple icp sensors layn around the shop and that fixed it . Thanks anyways

·
Registered
6 Posts
Diagnosis gauges - Not driving gauges

I was talking about 2 gauges that one would keep in their tool box and use for diagnosing problems. For example, if your truck won't start and you put the high pressure gauge in-line and crank and you get somewhere around 175# oil pressure then you know the IPR valve is sticking and you need to replace it or service it and your truck will then start. If you get zero# oil pressure your HPOP is bad. If you get at least 500# then you can look elsewhere for your problem.
It is also nice to have a little gauge that screws on to the schrader valve to keep you updated on fuel pressure. I have a short one for working close to the engine and a long one that I can put through the window and drive with to see if the fuel pump or regulator can be causing the problem.

It sounds like your truck is one of the nicest. VERY WELL BUILT and it's nice to have all the gauges so you can monitor everything as you drive. Glad you found the problem and it was such an easy fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts