Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I didnt know where to post this. So if its in the wrong spot, i am sorry. But anyway. I have a 67 Oldsmobile 442 Cutlass w/a 455. Me and my dad where messing around with it last night. We changed the points and what not. And we where messing with the distributor, trying to get it running a little smoother. ( We just moved and dont have all of our right tools yet.) I shut the car off. And went to fire it back up and it F-ed my starter. IT broke the housing that holds the end of the shaft. So we went and got a new starter, thinking the starter had just done its time. Put the new one on and its doing the same thing. So we are not sure? The car started up fine about a month ago and I drove it around for like a week. Anyone know what might be causing this??? The only thing we can think of, is that the starter needs another shim????

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: For the night.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flywheel looks good. A guy we know said that it was because the engine back fired?

·
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....
9,603 Posts
if you have the timing to far advanced it will raise the compression and cause that to happen.

I would try to back off the timing a little and see if it changes.

Or you could always step up to a gear reduction starter. kinda pricey but a worthwile investment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't know alot about the olds starters, but on the early chevys there is a bracket that goes between the block and the front of the starter to give it support. If memory serves me correct, I think all of the early GMs used this design. My sbc would break the starter nose frequently till I added this bracket.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. Thanks for the help guys. I think i got it figured out. I believe it is the timing on the distributor. The piston is firing too soon and causing the engine to run backwards and put pressure on the starter. Thanks for the help tho. If anyone else has anymore ideas please let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you think you have a distibutor problem check the mechanical advance. The wieghts get rusty and stick and you don't get the timing advance you need and want at higher RPM's. I would also think about a stock HEI distributor too. My 69 GTO loved it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you think you have a distibutor problem check the mechanical advance. The wieghts get rusty and stick and you don't get the timing advance you need and want at higher RPM's. I would also think about a stock HEI distributor too. My 69 GTO loved it.
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure we got it fixed, as far as my starter problem. Tomorrow i will get a timing light and get things set better. Have any pictures of you GTO?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this thread is way old but I had post anyways. I have a 70 4-4-2 and am having the same problem. Timing for sure. My problem was the distributor I had. The high torque starter is definitly worth it. Mine cranks over really well now even with 11:1 compression and I'm in the pricess of pitting in an hei distributor from another 455 we've got. Ya gotta love them oldsmobiles! 4-4-2's are the best cars ever made in my opinion! But I am very biased seeing as I grew up with my dad's 70 being our family car. 67's are gorgeous cars! I'd love to see pics of her! Its good to know there are other olds fans on here!:thumb:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this thread is way old but I had post anyways. I have a 70 4-4-2 and am having the same problem. Timing for sure. My problem was the distributor I had. The high torque starter is definitly worth it. Mine cranks over really well now even with 11:1 compression and I'm in the pricess of pitting in an hei distributor from another 455 we've got. Ya gotta love them oldsmobiles! 4-4-2's are the best cars ever made in my opinion! But I am very biased seeing as I grew up with my dad's 70 being our family car. 67's are gorgeous cars! I'd love to see pics of her! Its good to know there are other olds fans on here!:thumb:
Yea. Oldsmobiles are great cars. I will try and get some pics of her sometime soon. She is nothing to special, but still looks fairly decent for an old car. My car has been in the family from day one too. My granpa bought it new of the lot. It still has the dealer badge on the truck. Then my grandpa gave it to my uncle. I got it after my uncle died. I dont think i will ever get rid of it. I plan on restoreing it, but with that comes a lot of time and money.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
yeah, ur timing was off, also one thing to keep in mind is olds have the same firing order as chevy, but the distributor rotates the opposite direction. gets people all the time. lol

heres a couple pix of my cutlass, and 403...i really need to finish that car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts