Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to do a quick write up on the 6637 DIY Intake. I have been seeing a lot of posts regarding this mod and I needed to change my filter anyway.

First you want to remove your stock airbox from the intake tube.

Next you will need a 4" 45° elbow. A muffler shop should have one, if not you should be able to pick one up online for $20 or so. Another option is using a 4" pvc street 45° elbow and a small piece of 4" pvc. I used an exhaust elbow. You will need to cut it almost in half to make it short enough and get the angle right.

You will also want tp pick up a nice "t" style clamp. I like this style of clamp because you can get it really tight. I used the stock hose style clamp on the intake pipe.

Clamped up...

Installed in the truck...

I really needed to replace mine....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
448 Posts
dang thats a dirty filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
it almost looks as if it was lit on fire. lol

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang thats a dirty filter.

Yeah it is, it had been a long time sense it had been changed... I still have it, i'll try to get a pic of the inside of the filter, it looks as clean as the new filter.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
15 Posts
You sure it needed replaced ! Lol, don't think i could ever let mine get that bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have bought the filter, still trying to get time to do the mod. i have searched around on it but i dont remember seeing what to do with the 2 sensors (if i remember correct) that are on the current box....can you help with that. 94.5 PS

·
Registered
840 Posts
how exactly did you get the 4 inch exhaust elbow to fit on that rubber tube? i made a bevel and after about an hour of wrestling with it, i got the 4 inch piece of pvc i needed in there.... i feel like should have something not so rednecked thered though

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
i have bought the filter, still trying to get time to do the mod. i have searched around on it but i dont remember seeing what to do with the 2 sensors (if i remember correct) that are on the current box....can you help with that. 94.5 PS
The air temp sensor you can just zip tie it to the inner fender and most just leave out the air restriction sensor

·
Registered
105 Posts
The air temp sensor you can just zip tie it to the inner fender and most just leave out the air restriction sensor
This is exactly what I did yesterday. I took my 96 PS for a drive and felt HUGE lagg from the power. I zip tied my sensor to the inside fender wall.

I also felt some slight shuddering in my brakes since I did this mod. If anyone could help I would appreciate :confused:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Explain what you mean by huge lag in power and there's no way that this mod effected your brakes. What do you mean by shuddering.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Explain what you mean by huge lag in power and there's no way that this mod effected your brakes. What do you mean by shuddering.
With the stock KN air filter coffin I had quite a bit of "pull" but after the install it seems as if something is starved? (no I didn't leave a rag!) I don't know if these things need the PCM resetting if they have one? The brakes are unrelated I know, I was getting quite a bit of vibration in the peddle after I done my air intake. I made sure I didn't knock any associated lines when I started to feel the shudder. Just seemed a little strange the brake issue started happening as soon as I done the filter!

I know the air filter helps the engine breath better and wasn't expecting an extra 100hp but not foot to the floor and the truck very slowly builds up speed now.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I would check to make sure that you didn't knock a injector harness loose at a valve cover connection or something to that effect. Would also check the boot going to the turbo to make sure that it isn't sucking shut. I don't see any way that there would be a power difference just changing the K&N to a different filter. If you are getting a vibration in the brake pedal I would check all your drums and rotors for warp-age

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how exactly did you get the 4 inch exhaust elbow to fit on that rubber tube? i made a bevel and after about an hour of wrestling with it, i got the 4 inch piece of pvc i needed in there.... i feel like should have something not so rednecked thered though
My buddy did the pvc and painted it black and I think I looks good.

I just cut the exhaust elbow to the angle I needed, beveled it, and put it on the filter. It didnt slip right in, it took a little muscle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 50 Posts