Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if I should be preparing for costly transmission repairs like the guys do w/ the autos? I haven't heard anything bad, but tons of good about the 6spds but I'm just double checking..

Thanks all!

Diesel on!!

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
I'm just curious if I should be preparing for costly transmission repairs like the guys do w/ the autos? I haven't heard anything bad, but tons of good about the 6spds but I'm just double checking..

Thanks all!

Diesel on!!
I had a F250 PSD with the 6 speed. Got it just below 100k and I put over 120k on it hauling a 16ft box trailer everywhere on the east coast. Shifted without the clutch always. Top notch tranny in my book. Wish I could swap my auto for the 6 speed in my current truck

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's ok to shift these w/out the clutch? I was told thats not good for the trans/synchros.

What about as far as racing/power shifting.. these transmissions hold up pretty well?

·
2,055 Posts
It's ok to shift these w/out the clutch? I was told thats not good for the trans/synchros.

What about as far as racing/power shifting.. these transmissions hold up pretty well?

I never used the clutch except to take off from a stop. Shifted up and down all the time with no clutch for over 120k miles pulling trailers. over 200k when I gave up the truck and shifted great and I gave it hell.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Iv'e driven mine 25K miles without the clutch as well. No issues.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well by-golly I'm gonna start shifting w/out the clutch too then! lol. You guys bring up a great point on saving that clutch-matter!

The rear ends in these are pretty bullet proof too right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
just be careful if you bought it used, i got mine at 204,000 km and its now at 250,000km and it started acting up 2 weeks ago. long story short it cost me $6600 to get the internals back to normal and thats not including the clutch!
the guy before me beat the hell out of it!!!!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^Thats sucks man. People have no damn respect for their cars these days.

I bought it used, but the clutch was replaced not that long ago. Everything seems super solid on it though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
can't say I have ever heard of shifting without the clutch. are you shifting at certain speeds all the time ? or please explain this more.

Jay
Yeah I'd like to hear more about this as well.

To the original poster, I'd maybe do a little more research and wait to hear more experiences from other users before I'd go changing my driving habits in the way of shifting and so forth....Just my .02

·
Registered
94 Posts
it can be done it just takes a little practice and not jamming it into gear....light pressure

·
Registered
247 Posts
can't say I have ever heard of shifting without the clutch. are you shifting at certain speeds all the time ? or please explain this more.

Jay
Yep. I usually shift somehwere around 1500-1800 rpms. The syncros make the gears match up and it (the shifter) falls into place as you shift. But you have to be quick about it or you'll grind gears. Just let off the gas and start changing gears w/o the clutch. You can also do it on down shifts if you practice. But that's a little different.

·
2,055 Posts
I upshifted all the time without the clutch, every shift (unless racing) and it's easy as pie. I downshifted without the clutch as well, but I didn't go a catch every gear, I would brake and when need a gear, I hit the gear I needed, instead of running down through all of them, it takes too much time.

The upshifting is easy, just pull it into neutral as you are coming off the throttle, (not before or after - critical). The best way to learn is do 1st to 2nd a few times before the rest. Once in neutral, get the shifter ready for the next gear by holding in place, once the RPM matches the speed of the truck it will drop right into gear. It's a firm action so don't be a girl about it, but don't cram the thing into the next gear either. The syncros will do the work for you.

Downshifting is a bit more of a touch and feel process. Same process getting it into neutral, pull out of gear as you are coming off the throttle. I usually was always going for second, sometimes third, but you get it ready for the gear your going for and gradually ( and this will take lot's of practice) but gradually bring the RPM up to match the speed of the truck and pop her into gear. You better get ready while learning this to jump and jerk the truck a little as you learn the touch of how gradual to bring up those RPM's. An easy way to do it is to pass up the matching RPM, and shift it into gear like you would in an upshift.

By the way, to clarify, to "get it ready" for the next gear, you're pressing it against the next gear and the syncros with let it into the next gear as the RPM and speed match up. So don't worry, you won't be grinding gears unless you're not firm enough with the pressure against the syncros. So be firm with it, but not kill it either.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There may be some bad advice brewing here, so, I'll just say this. If you've used a clutch all this time, you might do good, if not way better, to just keep using a clutch. I can't think of any good that comes from shifting both up, but more importantly, shifting back down, without using a clutch.

How much clutch do think your actually using between shifts opposed to how much clutch you're using while taking off? Answer is: Hardly none. (unless your riding the clutch between shifts). Then, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE:wink[3]: Again, just my .02

·
2,055 Posts
There may be some bad advice brewing here, so, I'll just say this. If you've used a clutch all this time, you might do good, if not way better, to just keep using a clutch. I can't think of any good that comes from shifting both up, but more importantly, shifting back down, without using a clutch.

How much clutch do think your actually using between shifts opposed to how much clutch you're using while taking off? Answer is: Hardly none. (unless your riding the clutch between shifts). Then, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE:wink[3]: Again, just my .02
This is actually very common, and it doesn't hurt a thing. You may not be comfortable with doing it yourself, but it is a very common practice.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I'd like to hear more about this as well.

To the original poster, I'd maybe do a little more research and wait to hear more experiences from other users before I'd go changing my driving habits in the way of shifting and so forth....Just my .02
I've done it before in other cars, just not this truck. Hondas dont much like being trucker shifted though

Yep. I usually shift somehwere around 1500-1800 rpms. The syncros make the gears match up and it (the shifter) falls into place as you shift. But you have to be quick about it or you'll grind gears. Just let off the gas and start changing gears w/o the clutch. You can also do it on down shifts if you practice. But that's a little different.
Ya thats when I noticed the sweet spot on this truck

18 wheelers only use the clutch to take off... they NEVER use the clutch after that. If that means anything.

·
2,055 Posts
I've done it before in other cars, just not this truck. Hondas dont much like being trucker shifted though
Yeah, I think their syncros are plastic in those small manuals

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would probably explain it lol

·
2,055 Posts
That would probably explain it lol
I had a nissan pickup I would try it in every once in a while, but it took much more force to get it to shift smooth without jamming gears. I just don't think those little trannys like it very much

1 - 20 of 26 Posts