Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's better for fuel,power,and your tranny?...I had a banks 6-gun and loved it had a lot of power and got another 2mpg average.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Banks set up, but if you must try to tweak things then the SCT is for you.

·
Registered
737 Posts
sct hands down. do a little looking and you will see how many people run them and love them

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
SCT!!!! Hands down!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
sct. it tunes the transmission and keep from damaging trans bad. and its custom tune capable for your mods. and more power.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
SCT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
558 Posts
SCT. nothing else.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Another SCT fan here.

Only tuner that allows for custom tuning of both engine and transmission. Which therefore allows for the 5R110 trans to use its relearn to fine tune with the new power, vise trying to match a shift-on-the-fly type tuner.

Only tuner out there with custom files, from multiple tuners, that allows you to find the right tune for your truck and modifications with the driving feel you want. With the number of strategies in these 6.0Ls, you want custom files.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input....looks like ill b getting a sct tune .....what are you guys seeing for mpg on economy tune?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Get an SCT and get some custom high HP tunes from any of the tuners and keep your foot out of it. It will be hard to do once you feel all the extra power you will have with the custom tunes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Banks set up, but if you must try to tweak things then the SCT is for you.
Are you serious???? The Banks 6 gun shift on the fly will destroy your transmission and probably pop your head gaskets. If you get an SCT they can custom write the tunes for the engine trans to keep from trashing the trans and keep the cylinder pressures low enough to not pop the head gaskets if your still running stock head bolts. It also allows for disabling the egr system.

·
Registered
933 Posts
there is a reason :sct: has their own smily on most forums.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you serious???? The Banks 6 gun shift on the fly will destroy your transmission and probably pop your head gaskets. If you get an SCT they can custom write the tunes for the engine trans to keep from trashing the trans and keep the cylinder pressures low enough to not pop the head gaskets if your still running stock head bolts. It also allows for disabling the egr system.

Not going to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else on the Banks Bashing Train, but show me the proof that SCT will not pop your head gaskets. Show me the proof that the banks does not keep the cylinder pressures within check for stock gaskets/bolts.
When you show me the PROOF and not hear say, then I will believe you.
As for the transmission, the Banks system in its installation instructions has a process for the transmission to learn for its next power level. don't follow those instructions and yes you will do damage. Just a question to you, why do they say it takes a few miles after you download a new SCT tune for the drive train to acclimate to the new power setting? Call SCT and talk to their technical guys there, that is what they told me to do when I increase to a higher power setting tune.
Now lets include deleting the EGR. You do realize you are breaking the law by deleting the EGR. I would say that Banks is selling a 50 state legal devise where they are not breaking any laws and that their devise works in conjunction with a connected EGR.
Once you show me the PROOFI will retract my statements above.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Hogasm, I'll give you my reasoning behind never recommending the Banks 6-Gun to any 6.0L owner, and you can be the judge of weather it suits your definition of proof.

Not going to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else on the Banks Bashing Train, but show me the proof that SCT will not pop your head gaskets. Show me the proof that the banks does not keep the cylinder pressures within check for stock gaskets/bolts.
When you show me the PROOF and not hear say, then I will believe you.
The Banks system in its design intercepts, alters, and transmits the signals controlling power levels in the truck. It does have its own defueling on EGT's, however it does not have any indication of cylinder pressures, and does not defuel based on those.

Banks testing, showed a stock truck putting down only 268RWHP - in reality most stock trucks put down around 260-280RWHP on a proper dyno - so we can take that baseline. The Level 6 of their system was tested at 384RWHP, about the same power level most tuners place their stock bolt Street tunes. But the Banks system fails to adjust to the trucks strategy and modifications, other than the signals intercepted. If an owner is unhappy with the performance of the Level 6 file, they are stuck with it, where as with an SCT they can have the file adjusted (lets say for excessive lag, smoke, or high EGTs) and prevent failure down the road.

I see less risk with an SCT programmer, because of the ability to adjust tuning to the individual trucks strategy and owners modifications. With Banks, there is only 6 levels, and no custom programming.

As for the transmission, the Banks system in its installation instructions has a process for the transmission to learn for its next power level. don't follow those instructions and yes you will do damage. Just a question to you, why do they say it takes a few miles after you download a new SCT tune for the drive train to acclimate to the new power setting? Call SCT and talk to their technical guys there, that is what they told me to do when I increase to a higher power setting tune.
The 5R110 transmission relearn capabilities were designed by Ford, to allow the transmission to adapt to new flashes, driving habits, and individual truck performance. It was never intended to adjust the full spectrum of Banks Programming of +115RWHP, and regardless of what Banks or any other Shift-On-The-Fly manufacturer states, it will adversely impact the longevity of the transmission to do so. If a tuner is marketed as shift-on-the-fly, why market the product as such and then tell owners they have a detailed transmission procedure to adhere to after every shift in power?

The SCT files use the same trans relearn as the factory programming was intended to. As a tool to fine tune the transmission for the new file, which means the tunes are written in close to the expected HP/Tor curve, and allows the transmission to adapt say 5-10RWHP, vise 115RWHP.

Now lets include deleting the EGR. You do realize you are breaking the law by deleting the EGR. I would say that Banks is selling a 50 state legal devise where they are not breaking any laws and that their devise works in conjunction with a connected EGR.
As far as the law is concerned, any reprogramming of an emission controlled vehicle is a violation of the Federal Clean Air Act (which is why the emission control gear comes with these trucks in the first place). Show me anything from Banks stating that the 6 gun tuner has a CARB number applied for, or given.

The EGR deletion programming is a good point here though in illustrating the adaptability of an SCT tuner. Any modification you do to the truck can have the tuning adapted. I'm getting ready to install a new turbocharger, with a Banks unit that wouldn't be able to be accounted for in the programming and performance would suffer. Lets take something like the external oil cooler from BPD, which can benefit from shifting the fan clutch from ECT to EOT to aid with the additional RPMs of lower geared trucks - Banks can't do that, where as an SCT can.

And once the truck is studded, should the owner be stuck with that 384RWHP of Banks, or tap into the full potential of electronic tuning on these trucks (440RWHP or more)?

Once you show me the PROOFI will retract my statements above.
I believe I have effectively countered each of these statements. I'm not looking for your retraction, but I do feel the SCT is a superior device in every way. That's why I recommend it to every 6.0L owner looking to tune their trucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts