Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 86 F350 with a 6.9idi. I can’t get it to turn off other than by choking it. I’ve tried unplugging some of the wires that go to the injector pump and nothing. I’m new to the diesel world so I’m lost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let me start with this does everything go off with key? If so you may have a stuck solenoid on the pump as this is how it stops motor. I say this because you say you pulled wires from it and was still running so start there. You can check online to see just were it is on your truck. Hope this gets you started.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
On top of the pump there are two electrical connections -- one is ground and the other is hot -- inside is a solenoid that actuates the throttle valve. You can remove the "hot" wire and touch the post where it came from, to hear the solenoid click.

There is a lever with a spring on the solenoid that causes the throttle valve to close when current is off. With todays craptastic fuel quality, -- … well anyways it should be clean and shiny inside the cover.

Some of the pumps had a rubber flex plate inside that would break up and particles of it would get into the linkages and return line orifice. If your feeling especially inclined, you could remove the screws holding the top cover and inspect the solenoid for junk. -- if you do -- don't over tighten the screws and strip them out.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
Just found this vid detailing the inner workings of your injection pump:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the video and the post before. Both are extremely educational seeing that I’m a novice to these beasts. I’ll be opening the top like you mentioned. I haven’t been hearing the clicking like you mentioned in the solenoid. Would I be better off replacing the solenoid or rebuilding the whole pump?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts