Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creating this seeking advice/information regarding the purchase of my next truck. I am trying to decide between going for a diesel 6.7 or the 1/2 ton gas engine. Ill supply backround to help explain my situation.

Budget: 23-28k

Ill start by saying personally I would like my next truck to be a diesel. I don't particularly have the constant necessity for the towing power, however it would be used from time to time. I want a diesel because they last longer, hold their value better, and can achieve better mpg with engine work.

With my budget I have found several 2012-2014 F250s 25-50k miles, all 4x4, and either the XLT or XL trim. All these care within my budget with proper negotiating. My alternate option is a 2012-2014 F-150, 4x4, 5.0, Lariat or similar trim with the same amount of miles.

I have found the XL and XLT trims tend to be more of a work truck, however I would treat it as a build and over time change the grill and bumpers removing the work truck look, eventually lift and change the wheels, and add aftermarket radio, speakers, and seat covers to remove the work look.

I feel as if the F-150 I am paying for the Navigation, Backup camera, etc. I am curious if other than obvious cosmetic difference in the XL and XLT on the 6.7 compared to a nicer trim, is the truck built the same as say a Lariat 250 (suspension, engine components, transmission etc.

Lastly, I'm sure everyone on this forum is very pro-diesel, but, I need an honest opinion about if I would be stupid to go diesel for the reasons I stated.

I know that was a lot I just really need advice thats not from some quick talking salesman who wants to move the used trucks he has for sale.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just remember diesel is higher maintenance and repairs generally cost more. if you want the diesel go with it

·
Registered
965 Posts
Diesel take more oil per oil change, You will change more fuel filters. Diesel fuel cost way more than gas. Only you know if you will use the extra towing enough to justify the difference.

I'm a believer that there are a Lot of diesel owners who really don't need a diesel and own one because they want a big truck.

The F150 with the 5.0 can tow a lot of trailers. Maybe not the big 5th wheels or GN trailers. But they can tow boats, ATVs, snowmobile, and smaller travel trailers just fine.

I think the F150 make a better daily driver easier to park, cheaper fuel. Yes the diesel will get better fuel mileage, but not enough to offset the higher cost of diesel fuel. Buy what you like with in your budget.

Reactions: schrod

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
What he said...

It isn't a matter of being pro diesel, it is a matter of need/want. If you love diesels and plan to baby the truck and take care of it then there is no reason to not go diesel. If you just need a DD that can tow every now and then, but don't care too much to keep on top of maintenance religiously then go gas... A diesel won't last longer than gas these days unless you spend the extra money/time to keep it up and running. They are always more expensive to maintain and 10x more money to fix when something breaks.

The decision between gas and diesel is on you, we can't help you with that. Once you decide what you like more and what you will take care of better we will be able to help you out.

I am all for diesel, however I don't tow much... If ever. I have no need for my truck, I just love it. It is a want that I am willing to put the time, effort, and love into just to make the truck what I want. You will have to make that decision for yourself just like I did.

·
california deplorable
10,859 Posts
plus there is just something beautiful about owning a giant beast of a truck that is just flat out stupid fast :hehe:
that said I got my truck to tow our trailer approx 10k and didnt expect to like daily driving it...but i find myself making excuses to drive to town with my truck. that said maint and repairs are WAY more expensive. it really boils down to what you like and what you can afford if both line up in the same category you have made your decision :nod:

Reactions: Jason99

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I contend that you'd be better off with a fully loaded Eco-boost than a base model diesel. It will hold its value better, and it should have much lower cost of ownership.

Getting an XL diesel because it's in your budget just to get a diesel is fine IF YOU NEED A DIESEL. But just getting one because you want a diesel?

That XL is going to depreciate like crazy as it gets miles on it

just something to consider

·
Registered
925 Posts
What he said...

It isn't a matter of being pro diesel, it is a matter of need/want. If you love diesels and plan to baby the truck and take care of it then there is no reason to not go diesel. If you just need a DD that can tow every now and then, but don't care too much to keep on top of maintenance religiously then go gas... A diesel won't last longer than gas these days unless you spend the extra money/time to keep it up and running. They are always more expensive to maintain and 10x more money to fix when something breaks.

The decision between gas and diesel is on you, we can't help you with that. Once you decide what you like more and what you will take care of better we will be able to help you out.

I am all for diesel, however I don't tow much... If ever. I have no need for my truck, I just love it. It is a want that I am willing to put the time, effort, and love into just to make the truck what I want. You will have to make that decision for yourself just like I did.
What he said....

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you want it go with a diesel. However as everyone else has said it will cost more. It will last longer with proper maintenance and will get way more power than a gasser while getting better mpg's. I love my 6.4 and luckily I can afford it but if my budget was tight I would probably go back to a gas truck. I dont need it and would do just fine with a gas truck however some guys have their sports cars and I have my diesel lol. Look into a 6.4 as well they are great trucks if taken care of.

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
I can honestly say that my 6.0 Diesel cost me less to own than my 5.4 did. Oil changes for my truck are cheaper...$60.00 at Walmart(the oil is half price if you let them change it). It cost me $100.00 for my 5.4, granted I was using a premium filter and Royal Purple. Gas is negligible. I almost 20mpg out of my 6.0(yes this has been verified again and again with a calculator...I can get from Eutaw, Alabama to Gulfport MS which my route is 230 miles on 1/4 tank of fuel). I used premium Fuel so again, not much difference. Not sure about the 5.0 but maintenance on the 5.4 was just plain high. over $500.00 just to change spark plugs. So weigh all the options. I have a 5.0 now as well as the 6.0. The fuel mileage is now much better, 17-19. My 5.4 was 12-13. So fuel is a little cheaper with the gas. And to be fair it s the HD version 150 which does lower the fuel mileage but allows me to tow a much larger trailer. The 5.0 is impressive on power, but still does not hold a candle to my 6.0. Its also nice towing, being that with the 6.0 I can just hook to my camper and go, with the 5.0 I have to put all the leveling kits and what not on it. Drive both and see what you like better....I prefer my 6.0. But that's me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BigBuck, I am in a similar boat as you. I am a ways out from buying, still in research and dreaming mode..I keep bouncing between 3 trucks. F150 EcoBoost 3.5L; 6.7PSD; and Ram EcoDiesel.

I do not have an immediate need for the towing capability of a 6.7L, but it is the holy grail of trucks. I know I would never need anything but the 6.7...
We have a 5.0 F150 at work and while it has decent power the mileage sucks hard, never see above 15mpg average, that is with no load. I test drove a new F150 with EcoBoost and loved it.
I can't imagine getting an XL for a non-work truck, hada pair of 2008 XL F350s at my last assignment and the interior wouldn't cut it for me..

My 2 cents..
Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honestly, unless you really want a diesel or are going to pull a fifth wheel in the near future I don't think it's the way to go. Fuel is 25% more expensive, so if you are getting 14 MPG with a gasser, it's about the same price as getting 18 MPG in the diesel. My Dad's 5.0 gets more than 14 MPG in the city and my truck when stock definitely didn't top 18 with any regularity. Then you have to factor in the increased cost of maintenance on the 6.7

I think my next truck is going to be a 2015+ F150, just because I don't pull enough with my truck to warrant owning a diesel any more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Unless you have plenty of money or a NEED for a 6.7 why get a diesel.
I do not pull loads every day but own a 20 foot stock trailer, 30 foot gooseneck access to any equipment that I need and father owns several tractors and such... the need is there for me.

if all I needed was to haul trash off it would not be with a 6.7 unless I had the bank roll!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I bought the diesel. For no other reason than I just wanted to. I'm not rich, and I don't tow very often. I have just always wanted one and when it came time to transfer to a new duty station the stars lined up for me and I got it. And I have no regrets. Everything that everyone has said is true. It's overall more expensive to own. Much more so than I anticipated, but I'm still happy with the truck and I look back at it every time I park. So for me it was a personal choice and it sounds like yours is too. But there was my thinking.

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
I will say, Monday morning maintenance is less painful to do on my 6.4 than my old dodge dakota. Yes, it is 4x the price... And yes, it is 2x as dirty. But, it is actually easier to do oil and filter changes because I don't need a lift. And I just enjoy my truck... And that is the point that I want to stress... If you don't enjoy working on your truck and cleaning it, then there is no point. For me one of the most annoying things is when something doesn't sound right, or is dirty/broken on my truck... It is just a matter of pride for me. I have motivation to fix it and love it. If you don't have that motivation or the money, don't bother with a diesel... You will just end up hating it in the end.

Reactions: Jason99

·
Registered
951 Posts
You can buy an awfully nice 6.0 in that price range....Couldnt give me another gas truck. I made it about 4 payments and started to grow a mangina i think. What a pathetic power plant for a truck.

Only the high trim trucks get you a lot on the back end of the resale thing.

Jason

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was wondering what you do tow? I don't tow a lot but I work around diesels and heavy equipment so I can get a awesome deal on diesel out of a slip tank and sometimes need to tow a lot. It's very nice to know that if I get another 5er or a goose neck in the future I have the truck to pull it. With that said if all you ever tow is a 5K boat or something I would say go with the ecoboost. The little things like a back up camera or duel climate control are very nice. If you don't have them you don't miss them but once you have them they are awesome. Maintenance is a lot cheaper on a 150 and so are things like brakes, tires etc also a half ton has a better ride. That being said I don't think you can get a 4door long bed in a f150 I may be wrong. As far as the ram goes I'm not against ram but I drove a grand Cherokee with the diesel and it felt very sluggish compared to the gas motor. I have been in a ecoboost with a chip in it and it was damn fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Disappointed... I came here looking for a fun Superduty/Mustang kill story :)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Disappointed... I came here looking for a fun Superduty/Mustang kill story :)
The cylinders are same. 1,3,5,7 on driver's side and 2,4,6,8 on passenger's :look:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Get an ecoboost. It drives just like a diesel. I always chuckle to myself when I buy parts for the ecoboost on how cheap they are compared to my diesel.

Ecoboost go through spark plugs, just FYI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 6.7 but I tow 4,000-8,000lbs 5 day's a week 600 miles a week so I needed it. My old boss bought a F-150 with a 5.0 and that thing rip's! It get's 16-17mpg around town and 19-21 on the hwy. He pull's a small camper and a small tractor with it, with no problem. But damn do I love my 6.7!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts