Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between a s366 or s369 Non-VGT setup or a 66MM 2015 style turbo

Application:2011 F-450 Towing up to capacity or 17,500 Lbs mostly 12,000-14,000 Gooseneck

I am not looking for crazy power just above what a tuned 15 would have. I cannot find any previous articles on this, so I am asking for your advice. Which would be better on fuel And if the VGT is better would it justify almost double the upfront cost. Would a Non-VGT setup not really be possible in this application due to excessive egts ?

I am upgrading due To excessive Shaft play and oil leaking from the turbo.

I am new to this so don't grill me too bad:grin:

-WRA:rockwoot:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Do a 15 or 17 drop in since it’s a more direct swap and you won’t have any regrets at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^^^^also, the fleece cheetah for the 15-19 will fit and is an upgrade over the factory 15 or 17 turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno is there someone who has any experience with non-vgt turbos. I am leaning towards the vgt option because of previous replys. But does anyone know about non vgts because I hear they gain around 2 mpg and have lower egts with much higher power. But as it sits people are pushing me towards a stock+ vgt option

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a non vgt 366 and i went from about 18-19 mpg to 14-15 miles on a 1000 mile trip. i have not noticed a huge difference in egts but i think they run about 100-200 lower when driving. i love the turbo and how it drives but for you it would be better for a vgt turbo for power off the line when towing

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a non vgt 366 and i went from about 18-19 mpg to 14-15 miles on a 1000 mile trip. i have not noticed a huge difference in egts but i think they run about 100-200 lower when driving. i love the turbo and how it drives but for you it would be better for a vgt turbo for power off the line when towing

You lost 4mpg going with a non vgt turbo?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes. that was at 70-75 mile an hr on that trip. i dont drive my truck a lot at home and when i do i don’t do any length to determine if its better or worse.

Do you notice any difference with mpg towing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You lost 4mpg going with a non vgt turbo?

I have a 366 and I lost about 4-5mpg as well, going from 19 down to 14.5mpg after the swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts