Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to stir the pot, I'm just doing a little info gathering as I'm strongly considering a 6.7 at some time in the future. If you've had a turbo failure on your rig, could you post the year (and job # if you know it) and model/configuration (IE- F350, F450, F550 and if it was a pickup or cab/chassis). Also it would be helpful to know if the vehicle was stock or modified, if modified please list the mods.

·
Banned
798 Posts
We have assumed that all customers who have lost a turbo have been tuned and for the most part the customers have confirmed that information. We have yet to be called on a turbo that failed on a "stock" truck.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
CFD SHOP IS AT IT AGAIN! You really don't care about what the OP has posted do you?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CFD SHOP IS AT IT AGAIN! You really don't care about what the OP has posted do you?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that failed to see the relevance of that post!

I guess it would be helpful as well to know how many trucks HAVEN'T had a turbo failure, but there is already at least one thread for that topic.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Not trying to stir the pot, I'm just doing a little info gathering as I'm strongly considering a 6.7 at some time in the future. If you've had a turbo failure on your rig, could you post the year (and job # if you know it) and model/configuration (IE- F350, F450, F550 and if it was a pickup or cab/chassis). Also it would be helpful to know if the vehicle was stock or modified, if modified please list the mods.
We just answered the OP's question here. Plain and simple

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just answered the OP's question here. Plain and simple
No, you didn't really. You replied based on your assumptions that most of your customers had lost turbos because they had modified their trucks... then you edited your post and now it almost answers the question. Re-read my original post, my questions were:

Has the turbo on your 6.7L failed?
If it has, was it modified?
If it has, please list the year and model

You have said that "most" of your customers with turbo failures have had modified trucks... ok. Is that 4 trucks? 400? 4,000? Is the year/model information even available?
And what do you mean by
We have yet to be called on a turbo that failed on a "stock" truck.
"Stock"? OK how about this for clarification- by stock I'm referring to motor modifications... most specifically tunes and/or deletes that bump the power levels up from stock.

Not that it matters much anyway because of all the threads I've gone through on this forum alone about turbo failures, not one person has chimed in so far.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Nice Edit CFD. I really don't think you have a chance of making it much longer on here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is a 2011 F550 chassis w/ 84,000 miles on it & is completely stock. It had a turbo failure at 20k. Then again at 30k. Then it had a reprogram that was going to correct the issue. The truck worked ok until 65k when it broke the exhaust valve & destroyed the engine. They installed a complete engine in it with a new turbo again. Well at 83k the turbo let loose again. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. On their test drive, the bottom end of the engine failed. So back again and this time they installed a new short block.

I was alarmed this last time since they said they found sludge in the oil pan? The truck had around 15,000 miles on it since replacement and had 2 services in that time. It was due for it's next service when the turbo failed. We use Motorcraft 10w30 oil & filters from the dealer. They couldn't come up with an explanation as to why the sludge build up in 4 1/2 months of service.

My dealer says that they have literally no problems with the pick ups. The cab & chassis models have different exhaust, heads & turbo configerations as well as programing.

I don't know what the next problem will be but i do know that it will have someone elses name on the title when it happens....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed, thanks for your input... that's quite the horror story! The problems seem to be mostly with the C&C trucks and the early 11 models.... which it sounds like yours is both.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ed, thanks for your input... that's quite the horror story! The problems seem to be mostly with the C&C trucks and the early 11 models.... which it sounds like yours is both.
I just got my truck back from the dealership for scheduled maintenance (60k mile service) And it came back with a shiny new turbo. I will give you a link to my thread when I write it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got a 2011 250 ccsw 5 1/2 icon stage 3 lift on 37s and turbo lasted tuned 40k miles all together have 81k miles on first turbo. Going with SPE's turbo kit! Looking forward to more reliability and power down the road :)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A guy I know had his go at 15,000 running a mini maxx with a hot tune(not the sharpest tool in the shed) and intake, 2012 350 pickup. He's kind of a dick so maybe I should send him to confederate for a new turbo lmao

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A guy I know had his go at 15,000 running a mini maxx with a hot tune(not the sharpest tool in the shed) and intake, 2012 350 pickup. He's kind of a dick so maybe I should send him to confederate for a new turbo lmao

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
:hehe:

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming!

·
Registered
19 Posts
2011 F-550 has about 35000 kms and aprox 4500hrs.First turbo failed at 15000kms and second at 22000kms,Didnt get any real answers about why they failed but were covered under warranty.The truck is heavy and works hard,lots of idle time and running underhood air compressor.I love this truck and am happy other than these turbo issues.Oil gets changed every 250hrs and have no engine mods

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2011 F-550 has about 35000 kms and aprox 4500hrs.First turbo failed at 15000kms and second at 22000kms,Didnt get any real answers about why they failed but were covered under warranty.The truck is heavy and works hard,lots of idle time and running underhood air compressor.I love this truck and am happy other than these turbo issues.Oil gets changed every 250hrs and have no engine mods
Just curious, do you know if the 550 turbos have been updated at all? I know the pickup turbos got some updates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck has 48k on it and my turbo just failed. I have an early 2011 F250. The truck runs fine, just no power and the boost gauge stays at zero. Its at the dealer now and they are working on it. I have never really pushed the truck hard. I tow a boat that probably weighs in at 5,000 all in, and only occasionally. I have never tuned it and the only mod I have done is a larger fuel tank. I am extremely diligent on my maintenance as well. I have been doing oil changes at 3k miles and the rest on the manufacturer schedule. I am also careful about not running it hard before the oil temp gets up, always warm it up before pulling. I will update as soon as I get some info from the dealer on what they think the failure is.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My truck has 48k on it and my turbo just failed. I have an early 2011 F250. The truck runs fine, just no power and the boost gauge stays at zero. Its at the dealer now and they are working on it. I have never really pushed the truck hard. I tow a boat that probably weighs in at 5,000 all in, and only occasionally. I have never tuned it and the only mod I have done is a larger fuel tank. I am extremely diligent on my maintenance as well. I have been doing oil changes at 3k miles and the rest on the manufacturer schedule. I am also careful about not running it hard before the oil temp gets up, always warm it up before pulling. I will update as soon as I get some info from the dealer on what they think the failure is.
It would also be nice to know each owners location. I had a 2012 Passat and these Passats went thru some of these failures and for some reason all the failures were up north during cold weather. Trying to see if there could be any similarity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After reading the long list of problems with the 6.7 listed above, my mind is made up on what my next truck will be... :icon_ford::ar15:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts