Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced turbo on my 2011 6.7 at 34,000, 37,000, 41,000, and now 52,000. the truck is bone stock. doesn't make much sense to me that they just keep replacing with the exact same kind of turbo....what happens when my warranty runs up? i also have the "death wobble" in the steering wheel and my dealership is dumbfounded....don't know how to fix. any input on what the heck is going on??

·
Registered
431 Posts
im interested on the death wobble i get it around 45

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get it anywhere from 40 to 70. its just when i hit a bump just right and when it happens i have to slow the truck down to about 20 to get it to stop. seems like something ford would tend to pretty quick. kinda unsafe when it happens...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tow package that I know of....also this last time the turbo went...my radiator started leaking at the same time...are they linked?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
If they fix the same problem 3 times in a row I believe it qualifies for lemon law. Not sure but maybe a buy back is in order?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I think he is past both limitations on the lemon law. Thought it was 1 year 24,000 miles...?

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
The death wobble is likely to be caused by bad bushings in the track bar assuming ball joints and wheel bearings are in good shape.

As for the turbo, are you allowing sufficient cool off time before you shut the engine off? What is your EGT when you shut it down? Are you running dino or synthetic oil? Synthetic resists coking and handles high heat better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Die hard ford guy, so sick of this piece of crap, 2012 f350 unmodded.

Two turbos, multiple reprograms due to limp mode, ford engineer requested I say it was for off road use so he could warrant it if I put a after market exhaust and programmer in. Too much back pressure they are saying, urea isnt cleaning it out good enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From my understanding from years of reading about and working on the 08+ trucks, the majority of problems with turbos, cooling system leaks, etc. are caused from the heat produced by higher than normal back pressure thanks to the DPF. The DPF was not present on the 7.3 or the 6.0 and thats why this problem comes up frequently in newer models. The exhaust heat is cycled back through the engine and turbo in these new trucks and that adds an imense amount of wear to the turbo, epsecially under hard pulling. Yes, it might void the warranty, but getting a straight pipe exhaust is one of the single greatest things you can do to these trucks. This will get rid of the DPF and virtually eliminate back pressure so the engine runs MUCH cooler than it ever has. And a cooler engine means less pressure in the cooling system (oil cooler, radiator, turbo, etc.) If the DPF is left on the exhaust I can promise you it will cost you a LOT of money down the road. **** what the EPA says, it is not worth leaving it on. I'm so sure of this that if you get your truck to 250,000 miles and havent had a single heat-, exhaust-, or DPF-related problem, I'll buy your truck from you.

·
Banned
799 Posts
Lemon law is lower milage vehicles usually 15000 miles sometimes 24000 in some states.
You guys are all correct too much backpressure is the problem.
But the backpressure is due to a turbine housing that is too restrictive, especially on the f450's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
replaced turbo on my 2011 6.7 at 34,000, 37,000, 41,000, and now 52,000. the truck is bone stock. doesn't make much sense to me that they just keep replacing with the exact same kind of turbo....what happens when my warranty runs up? i also have the "death wobble" in the steering wheel and my dealership is dumbfounded....don't know how to fix. any input on what the heck is going on??
Are you giving the truck enuff time to cool down after driving it?, with todays technology you think they would have a turbo bearing temp sensor and when u shut the truck off and remove the key the engine would keep running till he hits a certain temp, or until someone hits the brake pedal to shut the engine off. just my 2 sence:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
curious to see what happens with your turbo, I just bought a brand new king F-350 and the turbo lag is bad I have said something to the dealer and of course they say thats normal. But as the death wobble goes you can put a duel stirring stabilizer on and that will fix it, mine does the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope the well knowledged guys are still going to see my problem. I've blown up my turbo I think. I have exhaust mods too and the pressure limit I have set for my turbo is 31 PSI.

It's now trickling black smoke all the time, boost gauges read nothing at all. I pulled out of my street and punched it, regular black smoke came out as I ramped up speed real fast. Then all of the sudden I hear the sound of what I would call an extremely loud power steering pump whine.

Drove it home after turning around, about 2 miles total, I'm hoping it didn't suck anything bad into the engine. Has anybody heard or seen what is actually blowing when these things go?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just tow package that I know of....also this last time the turbo went...my radiator started leaking at the same time...are they linked?
not really. the radiator leaking at the tank/core seal is normal. by normal, I mean that its common to hear of people complaining of a radiator leak outside the factory 3/36 thats not covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts