Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1990 6.6l motor at a junk yard and was wondering if i could take that turbo and put it on my 1991 7.3l? Dont know if it will work, it kinda looks like the mounts on the turbo might bolt up to my 7.3 but just want some info.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Any Idea what the 6.6 was rated for HP and what size turbo it is.

·
Registered
659 Posts
there was no such thing as a 6.6 in 1990

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
ford didn't have a turbo for that year, so you will have to figure out how retrofit a turbor mount and oil supply for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the 6.6 and 7.8 were built by New Holland and were originally agricultural engines if i remember correctly Personally i think the 7.8L has more power than a Cat 3208 I have run a Ford 8000 with both a 3208 and one with a 7.8, i'd take the 7.8 I am very impressed with that series

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it said 170hp, idk how wat size the turbo was im not to familiar with diesels or car engines this is my first car and diesel, but anyways it might be a non-stock turbo i was lookin at it and it was a 5-speed, the turbo looked to be about a the size of the bottom of a folgers coffe can, if i can see it agian tomorrow ill look more at it n if u guys need a certain part i should look at closely i will, just dont know what to look at exactly, Thanks

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
We have the larger version in our 8000. It is rated for 210, I think. The turbine housing looks the same as ours, but all turbos are backward from powerstroke turbos. If you try putting one on you will be looking at making some changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts