Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya'll will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the powerstroke. This is my first one. Just got this '08 6.4L and love it so far. After driving around for a couple hours I pulled into the driveway and just as I turned the key to shut it down, I noticed the RPMs were climbing, like a high idle or something. As I said, I noticed it AS I was shutting the key off. I restarted it and it idled fine. Can anyone tell me what this might have been???

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
It went into regeneration. That is when it burns off the soot built up in the DPF

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so is there no indication on the dash that should show that? Could there be any adverse affect to me shutting it off when it does that?

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
It should have showed up on the readout where your mileage and info is. As for shutting it off while it is regenerating, I don't think there would be any problems but i'm not sure. Maybe one of the techs will chime in soon.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ok, so is there no indication on the dash that should show that? Could there be any adverse affect to me shutting it off when it does that?
if you have an early 08 and it hasnt gotten reflashed with an update it wont show a regen message on the mileage display..but that does sound like its in regen

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
if you have an early 08 and it hasnt gotten reflashed with an update it wont show a regen message on the mileage display..but that does sound like its in regen
Ok well I didn't know that.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It is bad to shut down when in regen, it can lead to fuel in the oil. When was the last time you had it at the dealership? or had the truck re-flashed? these trucks are nt supposed to go into regen if would are not going atleast 30 mph

Edit: Josh beat me to it...stupid slow internet

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought the truck yesterday. If I take it to the dealer can they tell if it has the new update? Is that something the dealer charges for or is it some type of recall?

·
Registered
99 Posts
my 08 has all new updates. It will not stay in regen if you put the vehicle in park. At least mine wont. I have tried it. Also wont stay in regen if you put it in neutral and open a door. Reason I know is I picked up my travel trailer, but forgot to pull my mirrors out. My truck was in regen and I wanted it to finish. So at a stop sign I put the truck in neutral, parking brake on, and opened the door. Cancelled it. Just FYI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts