Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's was driving his truck and went for a little fun run against a duramax and as he pulled away, white smoke started coming out pretty steadily:doh:, then he pulled over and slowed down the truck now has a rough idle and white smoke all the time. We scanned it with his Minimaxx and its throwing;
*P0284 Contribution/Balance
*P0308 Cylinder 8 missfire
No cel on the gauges but definitely cannot be driven, I have 2 videos of the motor at idle, and the white smoke coming from the exhaust as well as a couple pics showing oil in intake tube and inlet of turbo and oil that is on the truck underneath/around the motor. I need help diagnosing this cause we have found anything from cracked pistons to injectors etc..
It is a 2008 f250 6.4 with dpf & egr delete with a Minimaxx and 4'' exhaust any input is appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE!
cleared codes and started truck for about 5 mins no white smoke, no cel. THEN cel came on and white smoke started pouring out exhaust again, spoke to Powerstroke Magic in houston and he said could be an injector then turbo seals....

IMG 2654 - YouTube

·
Registered
443 Posts
does it smell like diesel fuel or oil? Looks like a hanging injector to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup #8 was cracked, and the crankshaft was scarred on the journal. So had to replace 1 piston, 1 rod and new crank. finally got it back after $5500 later. crank alone was 1200 from ford house

·
Registered
4 Posts
yup #8 was cracked, and the crankshaft was scarred on the journal. So had to replace 1 piston, 1 rod and new crank. finally got it back after $5500 later. crank alone was 1200 from ford house
I have one down with #8 as well cracked. Crank is fine ,my cylinder did did score my block a bit. Taking it to the machine shop today. What is causing the # 8 cylinder to crack on these motors? I'm thinking of changing all the pistons since it's down .

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine is down rite now 180k with number 8 cracked only thing holding it together is the rings ...kinda trying to decide on replacing 1 piston and rod or doing a short block

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
If you have to tear it down that far I would think about upgrading the pistons if the funds permit. I have not heard of anyone cracking the upgraded pistons and some of the guys are running high hp. :icon_ford:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts