Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2009 F-250 CC SHORT BED WITH THE 6.4 ENGINE. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRADING IT IN TO GET THE NEW 6.7 ENGINE. I WOULD LIKE TO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE AND I HEARD THE 6.7 WAS BETTER. I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT TO HELP ME MAKE A DECISION ON IF I SHOULD TRADE IN THE 6.4 FOR THE 6.7. I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHAT THE BEST GEAR RATIO FOR THE REAR END IN THE 6.7 WOULD BE THE BEST FOR FUEL MILAGE BUT ALSO GOOD FOR TOWING.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2009 F-250 CC SHORT BED WITH THE 6.4 ENGINE. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRADING IT IN TO GET THE NEW 6.7 ENGINE. I WOULD LIKE TO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE AND I HEARD THE 6.7 WAS BETTER. I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT TO HELP ME MAKE A DECISION ON IF I SHOULD TRADE IN THE 6.4 FOR THE 6.7. I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHAT THE BEST GEAR RATIO FOR THE REAR END IN THE 6.7 WOULD BE THE BEST FOR FUEL MILAGE BUT ALSO GOOD FOR TOWING.
Is your 6.4 tuned/deleted? The 6.4s get decent milage once you delete the dpf.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'd stick with the 6.4 for now. Wait until the 6.7 has some better tuning and starts putting down some serious numbers before you jump ship on the 6.4...oh yeah, stop shouting!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love this 6.7L

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What numbers are you getting with your 6.4? I went from a head cracked 6.0 to an awesome 6.7! Unless you make a huge jump in engines like I did I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. I drive both my 6.7 and a 6.4 at work, not much of a difference although my 6.7 tows like a dream while the 6.4 hauls like a dead dog.
If you're into trading up to keep a warranty, go for the 6.7. Depending on your mileage now, I'm getting 16.7mpg highway with just a CAI, and whether you want to tune and DPF delete, it's basically personal preference.

oh yeah, stop shouting!
LOL!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The 6.7 is a lot more refined than the 6.4. It's road manners are way better. It drives and rides a lot better than a 6.4. I also like how Ford offers an extended service plan on the new trucks. Believe this program rolled out in 2012. You basically pay for a maintenance package upfront and then you get "free" maintenance for however long you bought the ESP package for. Stock for stock, the 6.7 will get better fuel mileage. However, it will take a lot of driving/fuel to pay for the difference in price between the 6.4 and the 6.7. If you like all the toys and bells and whistles, the 6.7's interior has a nice EVIC display.

·
Registered
47 Posts
just throwing my 2 cents in i went from 2010 f-150 last year of the 5.4 to the 6.7 and let me tell u i do just as well in fuel mileage plus i love the power it makes me smile every time i drive it. I don't know much about the 6.4 never heard great things on it but a lot of guys love to throw down with the new motor ford made

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would personally hold off until next spring.
First, the deleted 6.4L is a better engine in every way possible, but they do not make it anymore. It's history. Nuff said there.

The 13' MY run is a short one, and one that will end next June as the 14'MY will start building in July. Order banks open in March.
With Ram stepping up power and interior, and GM launching a next gen truck, I suspect there are big changes coming in a few short months. I'm ordering a 14' as soon as I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 6.4 is currently stock. Should I get the spartan system and delete the dpf. I pulled a heavy landscape trailer the other day and it felt like a dog towing it. I had a 6.0 that towed great. I had the banks big hoss bundle on that truck. I never had any problems with it. I think I might test drive the 6.7 to see the difference. I average 12 mpg with the 6.4.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My 6.4 is currently stock. Should I get the spartan system and delete the dpf. I pulled a heavy landscape trailer the other day and it felt like a dog towing it. I had a 6.0 that towed great. I had the banks big hoss bundle on that truck. I never had any problems with it. I think I might test drive the 6.7 to see the difference. I average 12 mpg with the 6.4.
Spartan or hs you can't go wrong. Do some reading on both to see which one will fit your needs best.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A tuned 6.0 will out pull a stock 6.4, but a tuned 6.4 is a whole new truck! go for a ride in a tuned 6.4 and you will never think about selling it. how many miles on your 6.4? I say save the money that you would spend on a new truck and do a delete and tuner on yours and you will be more than happy with the power and mpg! :beer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
6.7 for me all day long! I have had every diesel ford has had in a pickup, 6.7 is the first I have left stock. That being said the motor pulls hard and for a dually gets good mpg's, the 2 we have never been in a shop. If you want a pickup you can leave stock and be more than happy with you can't go wrong! If you want a truck that does not get worked hard and are into drag racing or dyno numbers than the 6.4 is ok... Also I no longer have to carry intercooler boots in the glovebox. I pull heavy 15,000 lb avg, 20,000-25,000 lbs 20% of the time 8-9 mpg pulling 14-18 empty. 6.4 dpf deleted 5.5-8 pulling, 12-16 empty. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
875 Posts
A tuned 6.0 will out pull a stock 6.4, but a tuned 6.4 is a whole new truck! go for a ride in a tuned 6.4 and you will never think about selling it. how many miles on your 6.4? I say save the money that you would spend on a new truck and do a delete and tuner on yours and you will be more than happy with the power and mpg! :beer:
I thought I would never give up my 6.4 with all that power on tap. I proved myself wrong because I like every aspect of my 6.7 better than the 6.4. Best thing about it is you can leave stock and it has decent power.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anyone that's telling you the 6.4 is a better engine is trying to convince themselves. I have a buddy that's a tech for FedEx. He showed me a letter from FORD to FedEx where FORD was apologizing for the shortcomings and headaches associated with the 6.0 and 6.4 deisel engines. So if somebody is saying the 6.4 is a better design they are totally wrong.

I've owned a 2011 F-250 Lariat and now a 2012 F-350 King Ranch Dually. My cousin has a 2007 F-250 with the 6.0 and just took my dually for a ride yesterday. He admitted that the 6.7 F-250 I had was night and day difference in power and comfort but he was smiling like a kid when he came back in the dually. He's looking for one now.

Don't believe the hype....go and drive both and make your own comparison

·
Registered
800 Posts
Anyone that's telling you the 6.4 is a better engine is trying to convince themselves.
Do you actually believe yourself stillshockedyouuthinyouknowwhatyouaretalkingabout?
I would guess that you just haven't had your wallet emptied, or been embarrassed publically by a tuned 6.4L yet. If you keep talking, you will find many takers looking for someone like you..

Now, the 6.7L is a very nice, powerful, efficient engine that should make anyone happy, and probably the best stock tuned powerstroke yet because of a better emissions system. I plan on buying one this spring, but I know what to expect.
Just do a search on 6.7L problems when tuned with few aftermarket hardware applications. You will see things it can't do, like keep rods, pins, fuel and other things intact.
So, if you plan on keeping your engine stock, there is no other option than the 6.7L for a sweet running stock engine. If you feel like stepping things up, buy the 6.4L. But DON'T start trash talking because you won't like the results.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Damn George, you find all the "pissing matches" to get into don't ya.:poke:hehe:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Damn George, you find all the "pissing matches" to get into don't ya.:poke:hehe:
It's a hobby of mine..

Actually, my Buff Bills just got totally embarrassed as usual, so I need to help right the world!
Why do I like Football and live around here.
Someone shoot me!
:taze:

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
It's a hobby of mine..

Actually, my Buff Bills just got totally embarrassed as usual, so I need to help right the world!
Why do I like Football and live around here.
Someone shoot me!
:taze:
:hehe:

Hold on, let me get my pistol, I hate to see a suffering animal. :hehe:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Please. There must be something the Gods have against Cleveland and Buffalo in the sports world.
Just how long should an area of the country simply suffer from non stop bad karma?

OP, sorry.
I would suggest the 6.7L if you find a nice deal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you actually believe yourself stillshockedyouuthinyouknowwhatyouaretalkingabout?
I would guess that you just haven't had your wallet emptied, or been embarrassed publically by a tuned 6.4L yet. If you keep talking, you will find many takers looking for someone like you..

Now, the 6.7L is a very nice, powerful, efficient engine that should make anyone happy, and probably the best stock tuned powerstroke yet because of a better emissions system. I plan on buying one this spring, but I know what to expect.
Just do a search on 6.7L problems when tuned with few aftermarket hardware applications. You will see things it can't do, like keep rods, pins, fuel and other things intact.
So, if you plan on keeping your engine stock, there is no other option than the 6.7L for a sweet running stock engine. If you feel like stepping things up, buy the 6.4L. But DON'T start trash talking because you won't like the results.

I have no urge to pep up a King Ranch F-350 Dually... I use mine to pull my trailer and racebike. Im.talking dependablity and outright power. I don't want something I have to work on. Been driving a 6.7 since last fall and don't have any issues to speak Of.

Now go ahead and throw somebody on me that wants to race.... IM BEGGING YOU... LETS SEE WHO'S WALLET GETS EMPTIED.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts