Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the opportunity to tow with both? If so what was your experience like? Which motor had more power? Which truck felt sturdier?

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
i don't have any experience with a 6.4 but i own a 6.7 cummins it pulls awesome hauled bales on sunday weighed rough 30k with every load didn't even notice it back there. wish there was a little more in the rear suspension dept but thats why i'm saving for airbags. overall pickup isn't bad. i would prefer an 06 superduty with a cummins conversion but thats why i bought dodge for the engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya we have a 2010 6.7 Cummins and I am wondering how the 6.4 compares because I love my Ford and would love to go to a 6.4 next if it is comparable in towing compared to teh 6.7.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i don't have any experience with a 6.4 but i own a 6.7 cummins it pulls awesome hauled bales on sunday weighed rough 30k with every load didn't even notice it back there. wish there was a little more in the rear suspension dept but thats why i'm saving for airbags. overall pickup isn't bad. i would prefer an 06 superduty with a cummins conversion but thats why i bought dodge for the engine.
You didn't even notice 30K was behind you? I'm sure there are some kenworth owners that would like to know the secret to your setup, haha. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You didn't even notice 30K was behind you? I'm sure there are some kenworth owners that would like to know the secret to your setup, haha. :rofl:
Thats what i was thinking. Anyway i had a 6.7 cummins. The only reason i got rid of it was because of death wobble. The cummins had plenty of power and pulled awesome. My 6.4 also pulls awesome and had plenty of power. I do think the ford feels sturdier with a heavy load. Thats my opinion

·
Registered
883 Posts
it wasn't highway towing hauling bales it was from the field to the yard at those speeds any new diesel pickup should have plenty of power to not notice it and with 4 axles breaking and an exhaust brake it stops easy. i know what your getting at i drive a semi for work sometimes and slow speed 105,500 is no sweat its when your rolling down the highway that you notice all that weight

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 07 6.7 Ram 3500 has noticeable more power than our 6.4 in the F550. The F550 is better for the stopping and suspension but the Dodge hauls and tows better and delivers better power to the ground.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My 07 6.7 Ram 3500 has noticeable more power than our 6.4 in the F550. The F550 is better for the stopping and suspension but the Dodge hauls and tows better and delivers better power to the ground.
f550 have 4.88 gears so to say 3500 dodge would pull better with 3.73s is just crazy talk but hey you drove it no me

·
Registered
175 Posts
I own both and stock to stock the 6.7 pulls better then the 6.4! I deleted my 6.4 & it's a bada$$ the 6.7 is still stock w/@ 90,000 on it! I will say though the ford chassis feels a lot sturdier then the dodge when loaded! As for the death wobble comment I find that funny I've owned Dodges since '00, this includes 6 trucks & never had death wobble, bought my '10 f350 & have death wobble!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have spent quite a bit of time hauling with a 2010 6.7 cummins. New to my 2010 6.4 Powerstroke. I have to say, when loaded, they feel very similar in power to me.
I regularly tow 3000-14,000 pounds.
I would way rather tow with the ford. It feels way sturdier. The transmission behaves in a much more intelligent manner.
Just the differences in the tranny are way more than enough to make me prefer my ford, over the dodge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
f550 have 4.88 gears so to say 3500 dodge would pull better with 3.73s is just crazy talk but hey you drove it no me
The 550 is also gonna be heavier than the 3500, and the 550's are de-tuned too. So unless you've got a dpf delete and aftermarket tuning, the Dodge probably does put more power down.

I'd still take the 550 for towing though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts