Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i gotta friend that wants to do some mods to her truck if you guys can give me some advice that would be sweet... first what kind of exhaust should she but on? delete the DPF and cat and muffler? and she wants a tune what do you guys recommend for tuning she just wants to be able to get up and go nothing where she gotta worry about doing engine work like headstuds etc. I read alot about spartans tunes so i thinking them and far as exhaust goes i am thinking straight pipes what do you guys think? Links and prices would be sweet also

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I highly reccomend checking out Cobb's Diesel Performance. His link is in my signature. He offers Spartan, SCT, Edge Race Evolution, etc. I would go with the Flo-Pro exhaust as well. You can get stainless steel or aluminized and it is all priced really well.

The List:
1. Flo-Pro DPF/Cat delete pipe (3.5", 4", and 5" available)
2. AFE Stage II PG-7 cold air intake
3. Spartan Phalanx Tuner as first choice
4. SCT Livewire as second choice (custom tuning capabilities)
5. Edge Race Evolution as third choice

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I highly reccomend checking out Cobb's Diesel Performance. His link is in my signature. He offers Spartan, SCT, Edge Race Evolution, etc. I would go with the Flo-Pro exhaust as well. You can get stainless steel or aluminized and it is all priced really well.

The List:
1. Flo-Pro DPF/Cat delete pipe (3.5", 4", and 5" available)
2. AFE Stage II PG-7 cold air intake
3. Spartan Phalanx Tuner as first choice
4. SCT Livewire as second choice (custom tuning capabilities)
5. Edge Race Evolution as third choice
Very nicely put Jeff

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Another vote here for Spartan as the first choice for tuning. You really don't need to change the rear section of the exhaust, unless you don't like the tips. I would just start with a CAT/DPF pipe and the Spartan(I'd suggest the 75,150,210 tunes) and maybe and air intake(either S+B or AFE both are good). We build are own pipes and have a 4" pipe that goes back to 3.5" on the end for any exhaust including stock. This allows you upgrade later if you want to run a full 4" exhaust. After you get bit by the bug you may want to upgrade things like tunes 250,275,etc, different exhaust,downpipe off turbo, the list can go on and on. Feel free to contact Aaron or myself if you have any questions

·
Registered
742 Posts
The 250 is a pretty safe tune to not tear anything up if you she still wants to get sucked into the seat but not risk any damage. The 275 is slightly riskier as some have damaged parts on that tune I believe but over-all they're all fairly safe unless you just do something rediculous like hold the egts at 1800 for like 5 minutes

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the 275 is more than safe, I've never hit over 1600 EGTs with it. But yah Jeffs list is pretty spot on, I'd rather recommend a S&B, but people like the AFE and Spartan or SCT you can't really go wrong with, if she is more budget minded SCT or Edge.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you sure she's just a friend?...:)
hahaha yeah iam sure....her dad got this sick 6.4 diesel truck all black out with 20s or something lifted with tvs inside sponser by RBI its his daugther truck.. I just service them so shes only a friend

As far as the tuning goes i think the SCT is what she wants because that runs like $639.99 i believe correct me if iam wrong. Then the exhaust i think someone said on here if i delete the cat and DPF then the flow will be pretty good so if anyone got any other ideas let me know please

·
Registered
764 Posts
yeah get that cat and dpf out. spartan or sct will work just fine for her maybe even the edge race evolution i heard its not bad if you just want mild power and a dpf delete.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd go with at least an SCT with the canned tunes. That way if she wants to go up from mild power she can order custom tunes from Innovative or River City Diesel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A chick with a sick 6.4... That's hot!!!... She needs to be more than friend!!;)..
Make her get the Spartan.. Shell save more than the extra cost on transmission repairs...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I run the RCD 585 tune with no tranny problems. I don't think RCD will wreck your tranny, Edge might.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I run the RCD 585 tune with no tranny problems. I don't think RCD will wreck your tranny, Edge might.
What Matt said, there have been no tranny complaints that I have heard about RCD tuning at this point in the game. More time will tell how well that 585 tune holds up on the stock converter and clutch discs :nod:

·
Registered
529 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if it did tear the tranny out of my truck, it'd give me an excuse to get a new one. Haha, but I don't think its going to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Installation

Are these kits (tune, dpf delete etc) user installable or is it recommended that a trained professional install?

·
Registered
764 Posts
and lots of WD-40 haha

·
Registered
175 Posts
Be careful with the sensors in the dpf and cat when you take them out...there should be 3 of them. I believe they take a 1/2 in. pipe wrench?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts