Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Upgrades on a 6.0?

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Gearhead2012 
#1 ·
So i know that there is the 6.4 banjo bolts and then the 6.4 blue spring mod both for the fuel. I was wondering if there was any other 6.4 upgrades that can be done on the 6.0 thanks for reading

#2 ·
Tailgate, mirrors, rear diff cover.

#4 ·
Is it an up grade or same thing. Please elaborate, I have a source for one of these.

#5 ·
It's an upgrade the 6.4's is stronger it isn't exactly a direct bolt on replacement swap. River City Diesel has one that they sell with a kit so that it makes it a direct bolt on swap.

#6 ·
I say it doesnt count then.:haha:

#8 ·
The op did.

#11 ·
yup true story

#12 ·
I'm looking at potentially tapping the 6.0 block to the 16mm head bolts of a 6.4, and using 6.4 head studs. This would really need to be an out of the truck process to be right, but might be worthwhile.

I've entertained the idea of trying to swap 6.4 heads onto a 6.0 block...same pattern, and same 20mm dowell pin that the later 6.0's have. You could use the same 14mm head bolts on the 6.0, but iirc the 6.4 rocker boxes aren't bolted through the head bolts like 6.0's...been a while since I've seen one assembled. Obviously this would be a huge undertaking, and would probably be better off swapping in an entire 6.4. There's the wiring, the fuel system, and the computer that'd have to be changed, just at a minimum. The main reason of entertaining the idea was to obtain the 6.4 fuel system, quieter, and from what I've gathered, more efficient. be interesting to see how that all would work with 6.0 stuff...I have lots of time to think at work...If only I was a millionair

#13 ·
Gearhead you took my ideas right out of my head. What are you psychic? Lol I have been trying to figure a way to convert a 6.0 to a smaller dispacement 6.4 or at least the commonrail fuel setup and maybe even the turbo's. I agree it would definitely be a MAJOR undertaking but I think that if someone gets it right it would be one seriously BAD A$$ 6.0 with limitless options.

#15 ·
Yeah man, bigger valves, same head bolt spacing, same valve/rocker geometry. I think pushrods are different length, only by like .020" or so, I can double check. I know the 6.4's have a higher valve height, 6.0's are like 2.220, I think 6.4's are like 2.300. That could be fixed with the right length pushrods, and or rockers from the right engine, or even Elite diesels adjustable rocker arms...although that ads another 3 grand to the cost. For the trouble, probably better off just swapping an entire 6.4...but honestly, I'd take a 6.0 over the 6.4, except for the fuel system. 6.4 blocks have way thinner castings, and for some reason wear out the valves more it seems like.

I wonder how long it'll be before 6.7 trucks are cheap enough, or they're enough of them wrecked to make people want to try to swap those in...that'd be possibly a bigger undertaking. But, hell, if people can get a cummins to function why not?:icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.