Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is looking at a 2008 F250 FX4 6.4PSD.

Currently a Lightning owner.... mildly massaged

Anyway, what are the tuning options out there for the 6.4?

I take it Spartan is best for the 6.4? What sort of HP/Tq numbers do thye make?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
:rod: SEARCH!!!
H&S +1
Spartan -1

·
Registered
502 Posts
H&S, Spartan. SCT I've also heard good things with 6.4's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:rod: SEARCH!!!
H&S +1
Spartan -1
lol. I have H&S mini maxx on my 6.4 and absolutely love it. I have also heard good things about spartan as well.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I recommend Spartan. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
H&S here.....................Got the pipe and tuner from Aaron at Rudys.

·
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Search, gee, why didn't I think of that......

Actually, I'm plenty familiar with the tuners out there. What I'm asking is, or should have phrased better is, what do folks like and what performs the best overall from a daily driver stand point? It been my impression in my 6.0 world and overhearing conversations of the 6.4 guys, that Spartan is the way to go. I'm just asking the guys that use them....

It's also been my understanding that the 6.4 takes well to tuning. Is this true? You can get some high numbers out of a stock 6.4 is what has been my impression. Is that attributed to the common rail fuel system?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
575-600 horsepower with just a tuner, intake, and exhaust is very easily done with the 6.4. It is the combination of the solid built factory transmission, common rail fuel system, awesome high pressure fuel pump, and sequential turbo setup from the factory that make it possible. Transmission tuning has been key in making big power on these trucks.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
H&S - on the fly tuning
Spartan - 20 minutes to change between tunes
SCT - who cares

all provide great power . i found the spartan tunes shifted to hard for a daily, especially on the 275 and up tunes, and they charge an arm and a leg for the tuner then individual tunes. not trying to be rude.
MY vote is H&S.
they may have downfalls too but i haven't heard of any .
SCT i have heard lots about- negatively

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
H&S - on the fly tuning
Spartan - 20 minutes to change between tunes
SCT - who cares

all provide great power . i found the spartan tunes shifted to hard for a daily, especially on the 275 and up tunes, and they charge an arm and a leg for the tuner then individual tunes. not trying to be rude.
MY vote is H&S
Transmission shifting has greatly improved. That was addressed several months ago. Pricing has also changed. You can get every tune we offer on the Phalanx for $1349.00....and that is a lot of tunes. It will soon be many more. We are also about to release custom dealer tuning. That is something to keep in mind as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2008 F450 and the fuel mileage sucked. I will make some waves here because it is not a spartan or H&S, but I went with the Edge Evolution Race Tuner and I Love it. Shifts great and MPG went from 7 to around 14.5. I just had the dpf and cat removed this morning and I still do not know what that is going to do to it, Hopefully Help more. This is a nice tuner and does all I want or need to do. I like reading about all the upgrades on some of these trucks but I drive mine and live on a budget. This Edge Tuner gets two thumbs up from me and I actually have one on my truck.:):nod::)

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I'm pretty sure Edge (and Superchips) dropped their DPF delete "race" tuners.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Transmission shifting has greatly improved. That was addressed several months ago. Pricing has also changed. You can get every tune we offer on the Phalanx for $1349.00....and that is a lot of tunes. It will soon be many more. We are also about to release custom dealer tuning. That is something to keep in mind as well.
custom tuning would be sweet:thumb:

·
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
575-600 horsepower with just a tuner, intake, and exhaust is very easily done with the 6.4. It is the combination of the solid built factory transmission, common rail fuel system, awesome high pressure fuel pump, and sequential turbo setup from the factory that make it possible. Transmission tuning has been key in making big power on these trucks.
Wow, that's impressive. Makes me want a 6.4

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 2008 F450 and the fuel mileage sucked. I will make some waves here because it is not a spartan or H&S, but I went with the Edge Evolution Race Tuner and I Love it. Shifts great and MPG went from 7 to around 14.5. I just had the dpf and cat removed this morning and I still do not know what that is going to do to it, Hopefully Help more. This is a nice tuner and does all I want or need to do. I like reading about all the upgrades on some of these trucks but I drive mine and live on a budget. This Edge Tuner gets two thumbs up from me and I actually have one on my truck.:):nod::)
If I could improve my mileage 100% like this I'd buy 2 Edge tuners!:gr_bs:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I could improve my mileage 100% like this I'd buy 2 Edge tuners!:gr_bs:
You keep diesel in yours and I will keep it in mine. I have no reason to lie about it, mine is a F-450 with the 4.33 gears and it was getting 7 or 8 and is now getting 13-14. Guess that is a 100% increase, good job with the math. I am VERY pleased with the difference and would recommend you go buy the Edge. Actually you can come close to buying 3 Edge Turners for the same money you spent on your current one!!:rofl::rofl::gr_bs:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
You keep diesel in yours and I will keep it in mine. I have no reason to lie about it, mine is a F-450 with the 4.33 gears and it was getting 7 or 8 and is now getting 13-14. Guess that is a 100% increase, good job with the math. I am VERY pleased with the difference and would recommend you go buy the Edge. Actually you can come close to buying 3 Edge Turners for the same money you spent on your current one!!:rofl::rofl::gr_bs:
He can't buy Edge....unless it's overstock. They don't support DPF delete tuning anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts