Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the 6.4 world. Had a 6.0 before :doh: There was a ton of discussion about different strategies for the 6.0 and which gave you the best fuel mileage/power. I remember I took my truck in for service right before I went on a 1500 mile round trip and half way through the trip I was only getting 14 mpg highway when before I would get 20-22 only to realize the dealer flashed my truck to a different strategy.

I did a search and didn't see much come up about different strategies for the 6.4.

So are there strategies that are more desirable than others and which ones are they? Is it still possible to get flash your truck with a different strategy through tuners like you could on the 6.0 or is the only way through a dealer?

Thanks guys,

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I am not familiar enough with 6.0 tuning to tell you about strategies. The last flash from Ford increased the tolerance for RP presumably to avoid warranty work on HPFPs that were starting to show signs of aging. There are few other changes with the newest flash but I can't recall the specifics.
If you have a tuner, you can load a tune on your truck. The tune will determine power, MPG, etc. Is this what you were asking?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have a older SCT with canned tunes that came with the truck when I bought it. I am not that familiar with the 6.4 but knew a lot about the 6.0. My 6.0 had the VXCF4 strategy when I got it but after some warranty work the dealer flashed it to VXCF9 which caused my mpg to drop from 20-22 on the highway down to 15 at best.

My question is: does the 6.4 have a bunch of different strategies like the 6.0 did and is there a way to "rollback" the strategy to a more desired one or is this a completely different animal and does this strategies theory only apply to 6.0s :dunno:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked at the strategy on the SCT and it looks like it is FS0L30 and TQJE5

·
Registered
277 Posts
It sounds like you are asking about dealer tuning versus aftermarket tuning.
The "strategy" is just what parameters the ECU is loaded with.
The dealer uses Ford supplied parameters.
And most of the available tuners use their own modified parameters.

I'm not familiar with the SCT Livewire tuner. If you're able to load custom tunes on to it then you could essentially load whatever strategy you wanted in the ECU.

PS I've never heard it called strategy. But it sounds like you're talking about the
ECU programming. If not, my apologies ha.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
My understanding of ecu/pcm programming is:

Calibrations= parameters, which is setting expectations of functions
Strategy= when and how an event happens based off of calibrations

I'm no J2543 expert... But, it's something like that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the difference between the strategy and aftermarket tuners. From my experience with the 6.0 there is only so much you can do to affect the strategy with a tuner. Essentially the better the strategy you have the better performance you have from your truck stock, which in turn allows you to have overall better performance after tuning it.

I know there were a couple guys programming in the 6.0 world that could "rollback" strategies to the better ones since Ford always flashes to the newest strategy which usually results in poorer mpg/horsepower. I guess strategies aren't a big deal with the 6.4s like they were in the 6.0s

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Rolling back strategies would require a complete reflash, no? Base program, of you would, not selectively removing 'last update' like you can on a Windows system... This is part of the EPA/SAE J2534 protocol which is epa mandated because folks having the ability to remove improved emissions updates is unacceptable.

If you go to the motorcraft page and dig into updates, or even look at drewsystem programmers, you'll find that selective updates is in violation of the rules governed by the EPA (which, curiously, are the same rules that allow updates to be had by anyone other than dealers 'for a nominal fee' in the first place).

If there was something different about the 6.0 pcm/ecu that allowed this, well, that's just pretty durn cool. It's also something that isn't 'sposed to be possible post 2003 (though many makers retro'd it all the way back to obdii beginning in '96)...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, it does require a complete reflash. I know there were a couple programmers (actual guys building the tunes) that had the equipment able to reflash the 6.0s. They had to send you the reflash tuner for you to use then send it back for $200-400 if I remember right. I know some guys that were friends with techs at Ford dealers that "convinced" them to rollback their strategies.

Guess this is part of the learning curve with the 6.4 :look:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Rolling back strategies would require a complete reflash, no? Base program, of you would, not selectively removing 'last update' like you can on a Windows system... This is part of the EPA/SAE J2534 protocol which is epa mandated because folks having the ability to remove improved emissions updates is unacceptable.

If you go to the motorcraft page and dig into updates, or even look at drewsystem programmers, you'll find that selective updates is in violation of the rules governed by the EPA (which, curiously, are the same rules that allow updates to be had by anyone other than dealers 'for a nominal fee' in the first place).

If there was something different about the 6.0 pcm/ecu that allowed this, well, that's just pretty durn cool. It's also something that isn't 'sposed to be possible post 2003 (though many makers retro'd it all the way back to obdii beginning in '96)...
This is good info. Yes there are strategies that are more desirable, thing is, not sure they truly know what they are. The strategy can be updated by Ford but probably at a cost, unless its a TSB, which I had before buying mine. There was an update needed and it required a whole new strategy which was more desirable as it fixed something to do with boost and making tuners pair better and affected the CAI sucking in the filter minder or something similar.

So long story short, yes, there are more desirable strategy's but NOT to the point it would be worth having your truck changed to one vs what it is. Won't pay for itself in the long run nor make much difference as the tune writers are making tunes that fix the issues anyways.

Also with that said, the chance that your 6.0 tuner works on the 6.4 is about 0, I don't believe they are compatible. At least not if you want DPF or EGR delete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts