Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody new to the forum. I've has 2 6 liters before this truck but just recently just purchased a 2008 job 3 6.4 powerstroke. The truck has 56k on it and seems to have been real well taken care of. I pulled oasis reports and didn't seem to be a problem truck and saw the owner did all the service intervals on time.
So I noticed at light throttle there's a rattling type sound when you come off the throttle and or when your lightly accelerating. Also noticeable at slow cruzing speeds. I attached a video from you tube of my truck making the noise. It dose not sound good to me and I'm very worried.
What are your thoughts on this? Do your guys trucks make this noise?

Here are some videos of my truck making the noise

https://youtu.be/5UvqJgpV3Yw

https://youtu.be/pNGXmwc-0YM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's really no vibration it's just the loose rattle metallic sound. It definitely seems to be coming from the transmission bell housing.
The dealer just put a new torque converter in it and that did not solve the noise. They agree something is wrong.
I listened to all different areas of the engine and transmission with a engine stethoscope and there's no doubt the noise is the loudest on the transmission bell housing.
Any pointers guys?
I would think the dealer would have seen if the flex plate was cracked when they put the new converter in? Think if the flex plate was warped it would cause a noise like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea is definitely not a normal sound. Saw a video on YouTube with a Powerstroke that had the same sound but was consistently doing that. Mine will do it for a week at start up and then won’t hear it for a month. And as soon as it idles for maybe a minute it’s done. Super strange

·
Premium Member
2008 Ford F-350 6.4L XLT DRW Flatbed
11 Posts
This sounds normal….. also sounds like injector rattle….. honestly really doesn’t sounds bad at all. Sounds exactly like mine been driving like that for 4 years.

·
Premium Member
2008 Ford F-350 6.4L XLT DRW Flatbed
11 Posts
Most people I’ve spoke with said welcome to owning a 6.4 lol….. they said I bet you could tear down every single part on that truck and tranny and inspect all the part and you’ll never find where that noise is coming from….. most mechanic told me it’s normal 6.4 Stuff. And just the way to engine was built and put together….. nothing can be done….. there like sure I can tear it down….. but it’s not cheap and chances are nothing will be wrong with it….. neighbor told me all he hears is injector rattle….. and that sounds like a normal running engine to me….. coming from a guy who was a diesel mechanic for 20 years….. it’s up to you….. drive it till it gives you a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts