Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem running a 08 6.4l on bio? My dad has one with dpf etc all still intact, and I would like to be able to make a deal with him to try to get a bio processing system together to make it more affordable. Any info would be great!:nod:

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
i thought i remember hearing something that bio will blow up the engine.... i saw an article about it not too long ago.... so no it will not work
Raul is right there was an article where someone ruined the truck bio.....but there may have been to factors....the first is regen and the DPF for sure will be a problem, the second might have to do with the injectors

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Personally I dont see the problem once the DPF is off and you have tuned around the Regen.

And I will soon be running mine on bio....or atleast part bio, probably about 30-50% bio to start with.

I am predicting no problems, and would already be running it but I am waiting on a couple things to finish off my dry wash setup.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Yeah biodiesel(in B100 form) and post injection do not get along. You gotta delete all of the DPF stuff. In terms of the actual engine running it, there should not be a problem. The injectors are now on of the Highpressure CR nature, so your fuels has gotta be in tip top shape.

J

·
0 Posts
Bio

Personally I dont see the problem once the DPF is off and you have tuned around the Regen.

And I will soon be running mine on bio....or atleast part bio, probably about 30-50% bio to start with.

I am predicting no problems, and would already be running it but I am waiting on a couple things to finish off my dry wash setup.
Subscribing!:thumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
what is the regen?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's an interesting article I found about the whole post injection (i.e. regeneration) process used by current-year diesels: Biodiesel Magazine

I'm pretty bummed that my 6.4L seems to only have dino fuel as an option. Interior is nice, ride is great, but maybe I should have kept my 7.3L and slapped on a WVO system...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's an interesting article I found about the whole post injection (i.e. regeneration) process used by current-year diesels: Biodiesel Magazine

I'm pretty bummed that my 6.4L seems to only have dino fuel as an option. Interior is nice, ride is great, but maybe I should have kept my 7.3L and slapped on a WVO system...
don't feel bad I sometimes think I should have kept my F150 and just added a super charger to it....:crazy:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think pre-2007 diesels are going to become more and more valuable.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

Thats why you need to remove the DPF and get a DPF delete tuner that turns Regen off.

IMO its not that big of a deal, I have been running my truck for almost 4000K now...the truck has I think 4300miles on it total...with the DPF removed and the tune installed....I picked up major power, and about 4mpg just by doing this.

So once I get my purolite in so that I can start drying my fuel, I will indeed br running about 50% bio in my truck. With the truck not to go into regen theres no extra fuel ever added and no reason for oil dilution etc.

However as mentioned above, with the injectors in these trucks you do need to make good fuel, and filtered down well...to a 1-2 micron IMO

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm running 75% bio in my F450 and no problems so far. I have about 1500 miles on it with that much ratio. I started with 10% and then went to 20, then 50, and now at 75%. The other thing is that I don't do the processed bio..I've been using the DSE method for over a year in a 94 Chev 1 ton and all my construction toys with no problems. I also filter mine down to 1 micron, which is much smaller than the stock filter. Just my experience....and it's only 72 cents a gal.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Marc had a discussion a few months ago with someone about this.

If I remember correctly he said you could try to run bio, but you will eventually ruin the engine. I think he said it wouldn't last more than 30k miles on bio. I also think that was running B100.

Let's see if Marc can chime in on this one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, here's an interesting thought. If my engine was gone at 30k, it's still cheaper to run my stuff and replace the engine every 2 years, assuming that it would be injectors and pump that needed replacing, especially if I do the DPF delete. Maybe I'm missing something, but fuel system items are affected by bio besides injectors and pump?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is good stuff, I see the point that without dpf etc, and no regen it should run fine, with good filtering...But I am no expert on these new trucks.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Well I know right off the bat you won't be able to pull it off with all the emission equipment there.....the question becomes what about the injectors and fuel pumps, does bio lube like ULSD???

·
Registered
76 Posts
TwinTurbo,
What do you mean by "you won't be able to pull it off with all the emission equipment there"? As far as the lubricant, the bio has much more lubrication qualities than straight diesel, I think. It is definitely thicker and slippery than fuel.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
TwinTurbo,
What do you mean by "you won't be able to pull it off with all the emission equipment there"? As far as the lubricant, the bio has much more lubrication qualities than straight diesel, I think. It is definitely thicker and slippery than fuel.
Sorry, what I meant was that you NEED to get rid of regen and the DPF for sure :nod:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
So do I hear you saying by doing a DPF/regen delete and using a KEM/Spartan tuner that you think there would be no issues? I would tend to agree with that, and believe that even if the pump and injectors only lasted 30K, its still 5K in savings. If they last more, the savings go up even more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts