Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas I have an 08 250 6.4 ecsb. Has xrt,5inch downpipe back,intake around 93k. I am having a major issue with the fuel mileage on my truck. About !15-16! on highway/here and there..! And that's not running it hard just normal. is what I get on the highway mixed with some other driving. I was getting. I was getting better with the dpf still on it!! I've heard of guys getting atleast a little over 20mpg... I have also threw the diesel clean to it also as I try to all the time. There is nothing wrong with the truck at all it's healthy as a horse and runs like a wicked 6.4 does. I have the proflo egr delete kit which I am installing this month. Even though the egr system is turned off could this be why my mileage is so bad? Which engine tune and trans tune should I run for safest best mileage with performance? If I can't see any better mileage out of this rig I am afraid I will start to think about replacing it with something else. Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sadly 15-16 is about right. Some guys brag about 20+mpg with these trucks but either they really suck at math or their pants are on fire....... I assume that's hand calculated, not dash read-out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sadly 15-16 is about right. Some guys brag about 20+mpg with these trucks but either they really suck at math or their pants are on fire....... I assume that's hand calculated, not dash read-out.
Well put....Tuned and deleted I get about 12.5 City (Chicago) and empty on the highway I get about 17 +/- These are real hand calculated number....and they suck, but I love my truck.

BTW....I run the H&S 250 tunes with the SM1 Tranny tune.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Sounds about right for a 7000lb+/- truck

·
Registered
853 Posts
yep, that's what your gonna get realisticly. heck my dually I average around 12-13 most of the time, but it weighs 9200+ with 4.10 gears, can hual/tow anything I need, and can run 13.9 in the quarter. People claiming 20+ either believe the dash and don't actually calculate it or always drive empty highway miles and admit to driving like a grandpa taking a long time to get up to speed and then letting off the gas and coasting as long as they can to a stop. You pretty much need a stripped down 2 wd truck to get 20+ at all consistantly, and a stick also helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only get 13 mpg with a 5" pipe, Volant Intake and running Spartan's 210.
My truck is a super cab.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow maybe these 6.4s do just like the fuel..but well worth it when you hammer on it and everything in your cup holder goes to the back floorboard....=) whoops I need to hand calculate it I was going by the computer avg econ lol

Seems like the lighter the tune the better the mileage usually the opposite..

atvrider93- would ya wanna trade that obs 350 in your pic for an excursion? lol

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
I get 15-16. As somebody else put it, ( in better words) "do you really expect it from the baddest truck on the road"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I religiously get 15 mpg , city driving (also chicago area) ,highway CCLB ,Driving WOT or just trying to watch what im doing (which doesnt happen to often up this way), Its an 8500lb truck !! You also can drive in a ranger or damn near any other truck and still only get 15-16 , so pretty good IMO !! Also some guys were /are getting 10-12mpg , so its luck of the draw ,
Also another alternative is Gearvendor overdrive kits they claim in mpg in the mid twentys!!! but pricy , but what isnt , GD lck

·
Registered
256 Posts
13.0 mpg with my 2008 f-450

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Update!

I just hand calculated my latest bunch of fuel receipts, about 254.329 gallons, I averaged 14.23 MPG and I am VERY anal about resetting the trip and I have GPS verified my odometer and speedometer and they are dead on. I rarely go below 1/2 tank and my wt weight was about 8200 before the ranch hand bumpers. Also I don't drive that nice, but I don't blow smoke at every intersection either. I don't do 0-15 very quick ( blows too much smoke) but I love moving out after I hit about 25! I have 355 gearing the highest low boost fueling on the H&S 250 tune with whatever transmission tune gets me into overdrive at 55MPH, I believe its the default setting, SM2 maby?

·
Registered
457 Posts
So is 15-16 mpg is when it is deleted and tuned to clarify, correct? Or is this stock depending on gearing (3.55, 3.73, 4.1, 4.88)? Fellow Chicagoan and I can deal with 15-16 it's 12-13 I can't handle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So is 15-16 mpg is when it is deleted and tuned to clarify, correct? Or is this stock depending on gearing (3.55, 3.73, 4.1, 4.88)? Fellow Chicagoan and I can deal with 15-16 it's 12-13 I can't handle.
Sorry!
I wasn't clear enough. I got 13.0 mpg 100% bone stock f-450 6.4L with 4.88 axle. Lots of city driving, lots of idling and very little highway. Yeah! It sucks but I learned to live with it. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
6.4L do love their fuel.

I am just shy of 80,000 miles and the truck is still bone stock. I follow both Powerstroke Nation and Powerstroke Org.

I have been researching tuners thinking that I could improve my fuel mileage. After reading this thread I am not sure I want to waste the money if I am not going to get something back in return.

I have tracked my fuel mileage since I bought the truck brand new. The best I have seen is driving down to GA from VA 18.1 MPG (light truck). The worst that I have seen was 10.4 pulling my camper from VA to TN for a NASCAR race. My average to date is 15.6.

I do get on it every now and then, but most of the time I drive like an old man.
I change the oil every 5,000 miles, the fuel every 15,000 miles and the transmission filter every 50,000 miles.

I don’t think I am doing anything special.

I haven’t seen any problems with my truck other than a vacuum switch going bad and the some white smoke, which is more embarrassing than anything.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
I get 14 around town and 17 hwy tuned. I religiously keep track of all my fuel consumption and I know it will take about 18 months to pay for my tuner (but as always stated with these... Tune for power and mileage is a plus).

The highest HP tunes and keeping your foot off the skinny pedal gives the best mileage. But my right foot and go button have a very healthy relationship. I like to go fast :)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If I drove level highway at 60mph, I could get 20mpg... But I don't do that.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
There are a lot of factors to figure in when trying to say you get this or that for mileage and how come so and so's mileage is better/worse. Lift and big wheel tire combos, gearing, driving habits, geographical location ( as in altitude ), maintenance habits ( fuel filter change intervals ) and the list goes on. Mine typically gets 17-18 mixed driving, I can get it over 20 on long freeway trips. This is hand calculated but my truck is modded a little further than most. The biggest factor in all of this though is peoples driving style, jack rabbit take offs and driving 75-80 and then wondering why they don't get but 11 mpg. We had a customer come in and get a full package ( tuner, intake and exhaust ) installed, he came back a week later wondering why he only picked up a few mpg ( we never advertise that your guaranteed a mileage increase any way ) instead of the 5-8 he hears about on the internet. Now mind you every time I see this guy he is on the throttle buried to the floor, when he leaves the shop, around town and so on. Now if your drive live a teenager with a license fresh off the printing press what can you expect honestly ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can easily get over 20mpg on flats but only if I try. With the DPF my driving habits changed automatically and I get 15-16mpg. When tuned with the HD300 I have once in a while enjoy the power and still get 16-17mpg. Stock suspension and 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wish I had 3.55's or 3.27's or even 3.08's. This truck makes enough torque to use pretty much any gear it wants unless you're sled pulling or pulling heavy trailers.

My lie-o-meter showed 20.7 last night. That's the first time it's cracked the 20's. I'll do a hand-calc and see what that really is when the tank is done, but it's looking much better than when it was stock... and my truck got pretty good MPG stock.

Don't want to burn fuel? Here's some tips:

1. Stay out of the boost. When I'm driving, I try to keep it below 10 PSI at all times.
2. Avoid stopping and going or accelerating and decelerating. That just burns fuel.
3. Air your tires up. I was riding with 80 psi (my tires can handle that) but switched back to 65 psi (rough roads were shaking me violently).
4. Don't drive fast. On the highway, the sweet spot is about 60-65 MPH in this truck. Use your tach to help you though. That puts my truck under 2000 RPMs.
5. Avoid cruise control and learn to coast and accelerate at appropriate times.
6. Keep your air filter clean.
7. Don't raise your truck.
8. Keep unnecessary weight out. These trucks are heavy enough. You don't need to bring your entire utility closet with you at all times.
9. Avoid idling.
10. Buy good fuel.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
10. Buy good fuel.

I'm a huge fan of this one. When I first got my truck I didn't know there was a difference between stations on good diesel and not-so good diesel. After some trial and error and asking the VW guys, I settled in on Chevron (which I think is the same as Texaco) and another station that, oh-by-the-way, sells all of its gasoline grades Ethanol-free.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts