Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling 8,000# trailer through desert yesterday, temps only in high-80s. Some long, gradual pulls where rpms were 2200, turbo was at 30#. On several (3) occasions I noticed temp heating up - pulled over and let truck cool off before proceeding. This situation seems to come on quickly - not long after temp gets passed the mid-way point where it normally operates, it rises quickly to "overheat" situation. Even with cab heater blowing HOT air, it doesn't seem to help much. Once at my location, unhooking trailer, truck is idling quietly (and within normal operating temp)...then screeches loudly. Similar to a belt slipping or bad power steering pump, only much louder. 6 mos ago, serpentine belt replaced, starter replaced. Oil changed at 5,000 mile intervals. Truck is a 2010 model with 150K miles. Any idea(s) what this could be? Thanks much...I need to keep her running.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sounds like you blew an up pipe bellow (exhaust leak screech) google it. Many YouTube video to describe the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that
you hear could also be a fan clutch or even a water pump issue
the fact you have 30 psi boost rules out a blown open CAC to me, but certainly worth looking at
Definitely not an up pipe bellow, as it screeches like a water pump or fan clutch (but not a constant noise)? Also, should have mentioned that the "cleaning exhaust" notice came on several times during this 300+ mile trip. Typically was in cleaning mode for a good 15-20 minutes which seems much more than the normal time for this function. Going to take her on the road for a short trip now to see what happens.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Issue may have been found. Diesel shop hooked up to diagnostic and found the fan not kicking on. The connector, which is located above the fan shroud wasn't connected. After cleaning with compressed air was able to reconnect. Haven't towed yet to confirm this was the issue, but clearly this needed to be fixed and at least contributed to the noises, overheating, etc... Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts