Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rebuilt my 6.4 and I replaced the rocker arms and the lifters and push rods and had it hook up to the Computer for diagnostic and it’s says everything is fine

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
That is a rocker noise, need to take the covers off and see which one -- you can use a hose by your ear to locate the noisy one -- likely a bad lifter

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just put the Second set of rocker arms and lifters in last Friday and still doing it

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Did you have the valves reseated? Gonna need to check the stem height and required push rod length - may need a custom push rod or re-do the valves

the sound is excess clearance in one of the rockers -- since you have already changed the lifters again, likely can rule that out

How well do the lifters fit in the bores? excess clearance can rob oil used for the lifter operation -- low oil pressure in the lifter galley can also cause the "pecking" sound -- AKA Dodge Hemi lifter noise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lifters fit good and the valves is the only thing I have not done yet

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Use the old hose method to locate the one making the noise -- likely number 6

May be off base, but just when thru this with a Hemi, so I may be overly sensitive to the noise -- increasing the oil orifice size helped, but wound up replacing the engine -- the new engine after about 10k miles is ticking also

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will try tomorrow
Was think about just pulling the heads and have them redone to see if it’s the valves

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Locate the noise first, so you know where to look for a problem -- even with the covers on you should be able to get a general location
"use the hose Luke"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s on number 4 or 6 Cylinder
Going to pull the head this week and have it looked at

·
6.0 Powerstroke n00b
396 Posts
Sorry to ask the obvious but where you posted "rebuild" could you be more specific about what was actually done? "Rebuild" means different things to different people. To me it means complete disassemble, machine work, measuring every part and clearance, along with more than I can list. Was the camshaft replaced along with the valvetrain? Were all measurements taken and recorded during assembly? I hate doing things twice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the block bored 30 over and put new pistons in connecting robs and crank and cam or original parts
Put new lifters push rods and new rocker arms

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
What prompted the rebuild in the first place - maybe that would help to understand the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts