Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the forum and generally new to my 2008 6.4 F250 super cab (extended cab) 4x4 (owned it for 5 months now). Bare with me here, I know there are many threads on this topic but i feel, or at least couldnt find, my personal problem. Short background (work performed by myself). Bought it with leaking rad, month and a half ago replaced rad with new mishimoto. Also installed coolant filtration. Flush after install. About 2-3 cycles after the install, started getting puking, from what look like coming solely from the degas bottle. Replaced degas cap with mishimoto and oil cooler reservoir cap with oem. Latest drive to Pheonix (>100 miles one way) lost in total 3/4 gallon of coolant. Another 3/4 on the way back. Residue all over, running down degas is obvious leak. Also all over surrounding areas and below (even some onto my drivers side rim). Temps on stock gauge did not change one tick (rested at just under middle). No spikes. No power loss. Oil from dipstick look good (doing a oil change to further my troubleshooting this week). If the EGRs were clogged, would this senerio occur? My only other thought was thermostats. To my knowledge they are original stats. Any insight to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Motor seems to be tuned, although the gentleman said that the dpf came deleted from the border patrol and that he did not tune it himself. No info on what kind of programming its running at the moment. I just ordered a obd2 reader to start monitoring this issue through temp on my phone or stereo unit for the time being. Thanks again fellas! :crying:

·
Super Moderator
5,967 Posts
To properly diag you need to get a pressure gauge on the cooling system. If you are in fact getting spikes of 16psi+ its most likely going to be head gaskets... If you had a ruptured egr cooler you would have LOTS of white smoke out the tail pipe.

It is very possible however that you have air trapped in the system. After a coolant change its not uncommon for a lot of air to become trapped and this can cause some puking. Its pretty simple to burp the system but getting all the air out is a pita. With how much coolant your truck is pushing I wouldn't be surprised if the heads have lifted though :(

Are you sure you aren't overfilling the coolant????

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
filling to the middle of the coolant cold fill line, motor cold. I noticed on my recent venture to phx that after the vehicle sat for almost 24 hrs there was still a decent amount of pressure in the degas. Normal? Degas bottle is old style with capped off upper line. Using Zerex G05 coolant. Definitely no white smoke at least at idle. Appreciate the input Crazy. Im in the Tucson, pheonix area and if this it the case will be looking for a solid shop to perform this repair "sigh". Truck has 134,xxx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
from my understanding though (and this is strictly research online and a few conversations with local diesel guys), Wouldnt there be excessive coolant in the motor oil? And loss of power?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i was thinking more so clogged egr from the flush? Never go WTFO with the truck but do get on it occasionally. nothing over 4k rpm. No static leak, just under operation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would start with what Crazy said first. There is a procedure of coolant filling where you basically suck the air out and fill with coolant. That would be the a good starting point especially after flushing, and probably the cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
5,967 Posts
You aren't going to get oil/coolant mixture with an egr problem (over time you could but you would hydrolock the motor well before this point and there would be LLOOOOTTTSSSS of smoke) and with a HG problem you are just going to get excessive coolant system pressure.

If you don't have the updated degas bottle you are overfilled on coolant most likely. There just isn't enough physical space for expansion causing excess pressure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just had a similar issue with mine. Would lose a half gallon or so, coolant sprayed under the hood and all over the Degas tank. Only once after filling and driving hard did it have enough leak out to leave a puddle under the truck. First thoughts usually lean towards something big and expensive, but the truck has maybe 700 miles since being studded so I figured I'd start by taking a really good look around and start small with trouble shooting. Turns out mine was leaking from the connection at the two small upper ports. I was able to turn both hose and cap without much resistance and slide back and forth on the barb with the clamps still in place. Was actually able to remove the rubber cap on the top fitting without removing the clamp. Combination of the single barb and factory clamp wasn't enough holding power. Hairsprayed the ports, changed to quality hose clamps, and no more leaks. Towed the toy hauler 4 hours on the turnpike in 90 deg heat last weekend without losing a drop.

·
Super Moderator
5,967 Posts
With how far he has driven after the last drain and fill I would wager the air should have been worked out... I still say, and agree with you. Its time to get a pressure gauge plumbed in and test her.

I wouldn't however say that 6.4s aren't prone to holding air... 6.4s are notorious for air pockets. Puking isn't the most common side effect of air though, cavitation is.

Reactions: MetalRunner4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I appreciate all the input guys. Going to double check all my connections and order a new degas bottle to start off. It is the 2 port design bottle. After the bottle gets in ill have an airlift hooked up to ensure no air in the system and then drive it. Its been sitting for about 3 days and seems to have a static leak just on the inboard (inner) drivers side wheel area. Hard to locate, but also haven had the time to really inspect due to 105+ heat and busy taking care of boat and everything the frick else! Ill keep posting with updates as i progress to fix the issue. Again Appreciate all the help fellas, hope all is having an awesome weekend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I eagerly await the outcome on this one because I am in the same situation. Mine also has the old 2 port degas bottle and I've chosen to leave it that way for now, it is a convenient spot to plug in my pressure gauge, which showed a steady rise in pressure to 16 PSI and nothing else. Also refilled the system with airlift after radiator swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slight update. Did oil change today, no coolant in the oil what-so-ever. Got the new upgraded degas bottle in, just awaiting a few other hoses and then ill swap that out. Since the 200 or so drive to Phx it seems to have developed a static leak just on the inner or inboard side of the drivers side wheel. Remnants of coolant in drivers wheel well area (from the drive mentioned), coil spring, shock etc. Slow but steady leak so now im curious to what that is from. Hopefully i have everything and will post an update after the bottle swap. Hoping this isnt going to be to costly because know im thinking i have to address a new leak, unless the current degas bottle i have is just leaking. Thanks Hope everyone is having a good week!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update. New degas installed. No blow up or puking as of yet so thats a good sign. Put about 30 miles on the truck. Although i now have a new leak at the bottom of the degas, the line that runs from the degas to what looks like to the engine*. Curious to see if there is a updated hose that i need or new o-ring or packing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Slight update. Been driving it here and there since the degas and few coolant hose replacements. Everything seems to be operating pretty well. I did toat my boat around today for about and 1hr and a half drive, noticed when i got home some bubbling going on in the degas bottle. Died after about 20 secs or so (the bubbling). After the motor cooled down a bit in the Arizona heat, relieved pressure from the degas bottle, bubbled again and slight rise in the fluid level. Not sure if this is air in the system (which i wouldn't doubt from all the work ive been doing) and slight fluid drop. I expected the fluid drop from losing and replenishing after the maintenance. Not sure what the bubbling is all about and if should be concerned. Ill keep everyone up to date. And i did not get an airlift on the coolant system. Thinking this may be necessary? Talked to a few people and they said that it should bleed off on its own. I dont daily drive this truck and thought id drive it around and see how she holds up after the work. Should i not drive it at all until i fix the issue? Thanks fellas hope everyone has a good weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coolant Temps seem to be running pretty good, around 89 C. Highest ive seen while pulling my boat over the weekend was 92 C. No Leaks. I dont understand the bubbling after shut down and fluctuation in coolant. i shut the truck off, degas bottle gurgles real loud, coolant level slowly drops, and if i bleed the pressure off later it will slightly rise. I take it this is not normal behavior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts