Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a little searching with no luck, so I’m posting this while I continue searching and maybe one of you folks can point me in the correct direction.

I have a coolant leak, I can’t tell where it’s coming from. I have had no problems with the coolant system. Truck is leaking it looks like front center of engine, it’s dripping off the harmonic balancer and front of the block behind it. It’s been windy here, so a little tough to tell exact spot. I last used the truck yesterday AM, got home today (used other car) and noticed the puddle underneath it, the expansion tank was almost empty. Last night and today are the coldest it’s been since last winter (high 30s last night/50s today).

I’m thinking water pump based on what I can see, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Data point...temperature was mid-high 30s this morning when I went to work, no leak. Temperature was mid-high 50s when I came home, leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you running this 6.4 in? 250 - 350? 450? What is the mileage? Anyways, I am not an expert. Just an original owner or a 250. Looks or sounds like a well documented cavitation problem on the 6.4. Ford updated the coolant hoses by adding a second o-ring on the hoses. This was to eliminate air in the system. If air is allowed in the system, it gets trapped in the front cover and creates a big mess. Slowly, but surely. The new updated hoses will run you about 450$. The harder the truck works, the quicker the problem will occur if not addressed. Google 6.4 cavitation. Then try and pinpoint the leak. It starts off as a pinhole. Good luck. Check your hoses also. If you have the original hoses and anything was disturbed, then they will leak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are you running this 6.4 in? 250 - 350? 450? What is the mileage? Anyways, I am not an expert. Just an original owner or a 250. Looks or sounds like a well documented cavitation problem on the 6.4. Ford updated the coolant hoses by adding a second o-ring on the hoses. This was to eliminate air in the system. If air is allowed in the system, it gets trapped in the front cover and creates a big mess. Slowly, but surely. The new updated hoses will run you about 450$. The harder the truck works, the quicker the problem will occur if not addressed. Google 6.4 cavitation. Then try and pinpoint the leak. It starts off as a pinhole. Good luck. Check your hoses also. If you have the original hoses and anything was disturbed, then they will leak.
It’s an 08 F250, about 135K on the clock. I updated the upper radiator hose a few years back with the new style due to leaks. I did also recently disconnect the lower radiator hose (radiator end only which clearly isn’t the source of the leak). The truck doesn’t usually work hard, its used on average once a week. The weather has been crap lately and when it’s nice I’ve had other priorities (finishing baby furniture). It’s my number one priority this weekend.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
the stock radiators are known to crack at the end tanks (where the plastic tanks crimp to the aluminum body). I would start there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did a little searching with no luck, so I’m posting this while I continue searching and maybe one of you folks can point me in the correct direction.

I have a coolant leak, I can’t tell where it’s coming from. I have had no problems with the coolant system. Truck is leaking it looks like front center of engine, it’s dripping off the harmonic balancer and front of the block behind it. It’s been windy here, so a little tough to tell exact spot. I last used the truck yesterday AM, got home today (used other car) and noticed the puddle underneath it, the expansion tank was almost empty. Last night and today are the coldest it’s been since last winter (high 30s last night/50s today).

I’m thinking water pump based on what I can see, thoughts?

Thank is exactly what it looked like when my water pump started leaking. Fan clutch nut was a real pain but after that it moves right along.

I replaced my water pump 1-2 years ago and had considered the doing the belt tensioners, belt, fan clutch but did not. Well guess what I have sitting on a shelf for a winter project. I've also included a alternator this time to hopefully be 'ahead of the game' this time. Yea right, that never happens.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yea i read its engine side. The tanks are crimped on both sides, for and aft. When you have a giant mechanical fan thats always pulling air, it is probably pulling coolant thats dripped out as well. Thats why the front of your engine and chassis looks covered. Its because the pulled coolant is hitting the blades. Thats just my theory. Also worth noting is that the front covers tend to eat inward, not out. Thats why many people with front cover problems dont know it until they see all there coolant went into their oil.
Start the truck, have someone hold the rpms at 2k and look at the cover. That will show any leak there if there is one

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m already deleted. That’s when I replaced the upper radiator hose. The rain is supposed to break tomorrow. My plan is to use my air compressor to try and dry everything out then fill the system back up and pressure test to see where it’s coming from.

Question for everyone...what water pump is everyone running? I like to always upgrade when things break and I’m a huge Sinister junky, but $500+ for a water pump is pretty steep, especially a month since I indulged in S&B body mounts. The Thoroughbread Diesel one is $185 with a cast iron impeller so I’m leaning towards that one so that I can still upgrade but not feel guilty about spending so much money because it’s blue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i read its engine side. The tanks are crimped on both sides, for and aft. When you have a giant mechanical fan thats always pulling air, it is probably pulling coolant thats dripped out as well. Thats why the front of your engine and chassis looks covered. Its because the pulled coolant is hitting the blades. Thats just my theory. Also worth noting is that the front covers tend to eat inward, not out. Thats why many people with front cover problems dont know it until they see all there coolant went into their oil.
Start the truck, have someone hold the rpms at 2k and look at the cover. That will show any leak there if there is one
I agree with what you’re saying, I may have left out too many details. The leak started randomly two or three days after I drove it. The truck was just sitting in the driveway when I saw the puddle. That whole mess in the picture and video was after I started it up and moved it to a different spot in the driveway.

But I am just now noticing looking back at the picture how almost every component looks like it’s been exposed to coolant. I haven’t had leaks, so I’m not sure what that’s all about. I’ll update this tomorrow after I look around.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I agree with what you’re saying, I may have left out too many details. The leak started randomly two or three days after I drove it. The truck was just sitting in the driveway when I saw the puddle. That whole mess in the picture and video was after I started it up and moved it to a different spot in the driveway.

But I am just now noticing looking back at the picture how almost every component looks like it’s been exposed to coolant. I haven’t had leaks, so I’m not sure what that’s all about. I’ll update this tomorrow after I look around.

Dude clean everything off and pressure test the system!
Could be a water pump leaking common
Ft cover leak
Could if blown out your degas bottle and it spewed everywhere
Could be the water outlet on the ft cover cause your not double oringed with the new white updated fitting
Could be the plastic tube on the ft cover that always leaks if its been tampered with and gets a hairline crack
I had a car once that had coolant on the ground nobody could find it
Wiggle test on the black plastic T and BOMB it shot out like a leak in a cracked pressure line.
You need to clean everything off and pressure test it
If its coming from centre of the engine
Its probably a water pump
That plastic coolant tube that leads to the underneath of the degas bottle (also that fitting under the degas bottle is common too)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up a pressure tester and 99% certainty it’s the water pump. I can’t determine the exact origination but it’s dripping down behind the fan clutch onto the AC belt. If you get on the truck and stick an inspection mirror next to the delete plug looking toward centerline, it’s dripping off the bolt a couple inches inboard of the plug. I couldn’t get it up past about 5#.

Back to my last question...what water pump is everyone running?

Also, my lower radiator hose does have white tape around it where it connects to the block, is that the new style?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so water pump is out. The impeller didn’t look too bad and it was obvious as soon as I got the pulley off that’s where it was coming from (the weep hole). My question now is about the front cover, the horror stories about cavitation have me paranoid. Mine isn’t polished, but there’s also no obvious cavitation, just these shallow grooves. Can I get an opinion on this cover? I’ll get better pictures in the morning when it’s light out. The part of the appearance that concerns me is the color...I tried getting some of the dark off with a rag and it came back clean. I don’t think that’s oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After some thought I thought it might be plastic from the water pump, but there’s zero play in the shaft.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
After some thought I thought it might be plastic from the water pump, but there’s zero play in the shaft.

When a gasket goes bad theres room for movement, the front covers fine. The impellers just made slight contact. Just replace the gasket and id do tstats while your in there. OEM only.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
When a gasket goes bad theres room for movement, the front covers fine. The impellers just made slight contact. Just replace the gasket and id do tstats while your in there. OEM only.

And torque it to spec

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ah, I didn’t think about it that way. I also bought everything except thermostats I’m even doing the harmonic balancer and front crank seal while I’m in here (the balancer has a little wobble in it that makes me a little paranoid) . Thank you for the quick reply.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts