Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know there is a class action lawsuit against Ford's 6.0 and other things. My question to you all is, do you forsee a suit for our 6.4 engine troubles? I honesly think this is the only way we can get Fords attention. To be fair I have yet to have any problems with my engine (knock on wood) but I think its only a matter of time, but Im screwed either way. In my opinion we have 2 main factors for a lawsuit.
1. Is obviously for engine failure. They produced an engine knowing all the short comings and failed to address the issues in order to save a few cents on the dollar.
2. Would be the resale value. In my opinion this is where most of us will get hit the most. Because of modern social media outlets, people can and will find out the many issues our vehicles have and lets face it, WE ARE F*CKED!!! when it comes time to sell our 6.4's.
So what can we do? I think we really should start looking down this path for compensation from Ford. What do you guys think?
I hate to even talk about lawsuits, but are there any other options?
Give your feedback,
Thanks,
Dom

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Knowing what you knew from the 6 liter problems that are evident from many years ago and from the current and ongoing class action suit, why did you buy a 6.4? You have a voice and can exercise it by purchasing whatever truck you want. Could have bought a Ram, Silverado, or a Sierra. Why'd you buy a Super Duty? Is it just the "American Way" to sue for anything and everything? This truck uses too much diesel, sue. My windows go up too damn fast, sue. In my opinion, resale depends on where you live, what the demand for diesels are compared to the supply, condition and mileage. Also have to factor in the economy. If the economy sucks, people aren't buying trucks so prices are low. When there's more money around, prices will go up.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
You have some legitimate concerns and I have seen LOTS of problems or pattern failures with the 6.4L. As far as a lawsuit, the ones against Ford for the 6.0L are going nowhere! A bunch of lawers will get rich and the end consumer will get NO satisfaction! So i guess good luck to anyone that wants to take on Ford or International for any kind of compensation.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I was offered $36,000 on trade for my '09 F350 Cabelas Edition with just under 30,000 miles. This was when there was the $1000 Costco member rebate and Ford Family Pricing. Essentially, they took the wholesale price of the new truck (2011 KR fully loaded) to the wholesale price of my truck. If they went retail to retail, I'd get a lot more for my truck but then the KR would also be more. I didn't think $36k on trade was that bad and I probably had some negotiating room there to get more money on my trade and the new truck for less money... $36k was the price without all the LED lights and mudflaps. I was letting them keep the transfer tank since I want a larger one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alberta Advantage,

I purchased my 6.4 before any 6.0 class action lawsuit started, nevertheless, Ford advertised the 6.4 as problem free, the best ever, and to have fixed all 6.0 problems. Like I implyed before, I really want nothing to do with a lawsuit, but what are we supposed to do?
I guess its the CANADIAN way to sit back and get walked all over, but I tell you, its the AMERICAN way to fight back!!! So unless you have something of value to add to this discussion, I suggest you stay in Canada, because you're either with us or against us; this isnt a discussion for the neutrality state.
((I'm making this irreverent comment to make a point)) keep your comments regarding this post to the question at hand. Seriously..., what the heck are we to do about our depreciated (more than average) trucks?
I would rather FORD come out with a valid fix then see a lawsuit.:tard:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Knowing what you knew from the 6 liter problems that are evident from many years ago and from the current and ongoing class action suit, why did you buy a 6.4? You have a voice and can exercise it by purchasing whatever truck you want. Could have bought a Ram, Silverado, or a Sierra. Why'd you buy a Super Duty? Is it just the "American Way" to sue for anything and everything? This truck uses too much diesel, sue. My windows go up too damn fast, sue. In my opinion, resale depends on where you live, what the demand for diesels are compared to the supply, condition and mileage. Also have to factor in the economy. If the economy sucks, people aren't buying trucks so prices are low. When there's more money around, prices will go up.
:thumb::thumb: Id like to repeat what he said^

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you took the $36,000, because the average resale around here is $21000 to $26000 for a low mileage 6.4. Its BS that so many people are having issues with the 6.4 in stock form, if you dont agree with that statement then ask any of the Ford Techs on here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I forgot to mention that October 2011 Diesel Power magazine had a interesting article about the 6.4 and its leep in technology.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
It must really depend on where you live then. I went looking for another 6.4 recently and came accross an '09 F450 Lariat, fully loaded in Scottsdale when I was visiting my parents and it had 8,000 miles on it and they wanted $58,000 for it. This was at a Ford dealership and I knew prices would be high since it was Scottsdale but didn't think they'd be that high with the economy the way it is. This was last winter. Didn't drive out to Gilbert or Surprise Arizona to compare prices though as I was just tire kicking. In Canada, diesels are highly sought after, especially, if they're Canadian cars not the imports from the US when the Canadian Dollar was very high. Saw an 07 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins and 80,000km, that was a base model SLT with a few options going for $37,000. The used low mileage 6.4 with the higher trim levels are all high $30s to mid-high $40s if not more.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What would you claim in your suit?

I was not aware there were any systemic problems with this motor. Sure the mileage sucks but that has more to do with the EPA crap (DPF) then the motor (well it also doesn’t help we are pushing 4 tons of metal down the road). The only common problem I have read about was the radiator problems on job#1 trucks. Sure there are folks here (and on other forums) posting problems but the problems are all over the place…what I mean is I do not see a lot of folks with the same issue…just a lot of folks all with different issues.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
From what I have seen its oil coolers, egr coolers, radiators, high pressure fuel pumps, front covers cavitate, etc. Seems like the 6.4L has almost the same types of issues that the 6.0L had. Not saying they fail as often, but the pattern failures are still there. For example the oil cooler is pretty much the same on the 6.4L as the one on the 6.0 and you pretty much have to pull the cab to do it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I look at trucks from the gun safety point of view ...i never point a weapon at someone even if the weapons is on safe, why? cause the safety is a mechanical device ....and mechanical devices fail..... every vehicle if gonna have problems its really just picking your poison ...EGR's are a problem across the baord on all diesel injectors too....

i personally dont see the patterns in the 6.4

·
Registered
455 Posts
I thought there ways around the 6.4 problems. Though not cheap.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I dont quite understand the point in your post. Your truck has no problems but you are interested in a lawsuit that you can be a part of just because others have had problems? I am at the ford dealership every week because of my job and most of the 6.4's with problems are the owners fault. Most of them due to poor service, high idle time, and so forth. Not saying that every issue is the owners fault but alot of them are. Case in point, had a truck in here with a blown hp fuel pump and is going to cost around 14k to fix. Owner states perfect maintenance history, that the truck was not worked hard, and has taken very good care of it. Within minutes of putting it on the rack, the frame mounted fuel filter was pulled and it was the original factory filter. Truck had over 100k on it. My point is that there are two sides to every story. Pretty sure that guy is one of the ones badmouthing ford and the 6.4 because he was to stupid to change both filters. Not saying that these motors cannot fail on their own with perfect service, but it is a machine, what do you expect?

·
Registered
258 Posts
From what I have seen its oil coolers, egr coolers, radiators, high pressure fuel pumps, front covers cavitate, etc. Seems like the 6.4L has almost the same types of issues that the 6.0L had. Not saying they fail as often, but the pattern failures are still there. For example the oil cooler is pretty much the same on the 6.4L as the one on the 6.0 and you pretty much have to pull the cab to do it.
the oil coolers may be the same but the oil is treated differently then in the 6.0

the oil in the 6.0 would get really hot from being pressured 3000psi think HEUI

the 6.4 is common rail no need for that

1,023 Posts
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

OH MAN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! MAYBE FORD COULD FINALLY DO WHAT I WISHED FOR AND BUY EVERY ONE OF THEM BACK AND SCRAP THEM OR PUT A STUDDED 6.0 OR SWAP IN A 6.7 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS AWESOME! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah its not sad that they have to face a class action lawsuite i dont feel the least bit sorry for them. After all technically its not their engine, but it is their warranty. I too remember the instructor at the 6.4 class announcing that it was bullet proof and i immediately called BS on it. he spoke with me when he let us out for lunch and was a little butt hurt by my remarks in front of everyone but he too saw what i saw too. a catastrophic prone engine.

Technical leaps? LMAO technical leap on its face is what the 6.4 did for ford and international! Biggest over engineered pile of crap ever! nothing more than a mere boat anchor

1,023 Posts
:rofl: No they have far worse problems than a 6.0

6.0 Facts
I never once put a radiator in a 6.0
I never had to do dozens and i mean DOZENS i have done at the very least at this current dealership im at now, 40 short blocks and 10 complete engine replacements. I only did 3 6.0s 1 for a failed oil jet that made one hell of a clatter at idle only, 1 due to a bent rod from a leaking injector, 1 from a melted piston from a leaking injector.
I never had to do a front cover in a 6.0 unless it was a short block id figure why not start fresh and every water pump i suspected as being faulty the front covers looked pristine. 6.4s i can take pictures of front covers that look like someone shot them with double 0 buckshot at point blank range.
6.0 i never had hyper extended or the thermostat mount corrode. 6.4s i see it all the time. especially leaking radiator. Fords fix-new thermostats, new thermostat housing new front cover and new hoses and new radiator. only to have a repeat failure 20-30k miles down the road. someone explain to me why, as i do know hyper extended thermostats will cause a radiator burst my guess is that stupid horizontal egr cooler being mounted directly above a hot manifold and the fact that the radiator is mounted where all the body flex is the upper support.
Once i did studs and had the heads milled i never once saw the truck again for head gasket failure. sure high pressure oil system failure or injectors. but never for a failed head gasket.
NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH A CAB COMING OFF HALF AN HOUR AND IT WAS UP IN THE AIR

6.4 facts
I hate them. Yes i am a chevy guy judge me if you will but before i was i was into fords. when i started getting newer fords i had nothing but problems with them. friends and family members who had fords had problems with them too. problems as in leaving you stranded. I have yet to have a chevy aside from a TBI 454 that i held wide open mud bogging ever leave me stranded or have catastrophic failure. I beat the hell out of my vehicles and dont have any problems that i had with fords. they just dont hold up. HOWEVER i am impressed with the 6.7 i have yet to see catastrophic failures with this engine system.
Anyways- 6.4 is not meant for joe blow without a warranty. they suck. they are expensive. and time consuming.
Cab bolts almost always spin the cage nuts. WHY did they use cage nuts? What was wrong with the 6.0 cab mounting system? Not a damn thing thats why! Ford found out through field service engineers that we found a way to beat the warranty time for head gaskets AND!!!! Making the job 1000x easier and less time consuming. it must have raised flags at ford when i was pumping out (first dealership i worked at i had 4 2 post rotary 18k pound lifts and 2 4 post 36k pound racks) 4 cabs off and 4 sets of heads sent out to be milled in a day when we were swamped with 6.0 head gasket jobs. typically i could do one monday get the heads back tuesday and be done with it tuesday by 10am.
6.4 no everything is a F*ck fest. i want to meet the engineers at ford who designed the cowl to stick so far over the top of the engine and just punch them as hard as i can in the mouth along with whoever came up with the bright idea to put the radiator where they did and pack it behind how many other heat exchangers... retards!

1,023 Posts
one last thing i cant wait til someone wants to sue ford for unfair business practices. 6.1 cab R+R time reduced to 4.3 whoever came up with that idea oughta be hanged by their balls and beaten within inches of their life 8-10 hours a day for an entire year.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again; you only hate 6.4's cause you work on them every day, If you worked on chevys, you'd probably hate them instead. I've herd it a thousand times. The techs that have to work on something are going to be the first to hate it cause they see their short comings every day.

1,023 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again; you only hate 6.4's cause you work on them every day, If you worked on chevys, you'd probably hate them instead. I've herd it a thousand times. The techs that have to work on something are going to be the first to hate it cause they see their short comings every day.
and i will repeat myself-I dont hear of a duramax or gas engine having catastrophic failures nearly a 10th as common as a 6.4 my buddies dont believe me i send them pic messages from work every time one rolls in the door and we all laugh when theres pistons missing and heads damaged. they have yet to see a duramax except 2 have anything identical to the 6.4 failure.
And you would HATE THEM TO IF YOU COULDNT BRING HOME A FAIR PAYCHECK BECAUSE SOME BEAN COUNTER AT FORD DECIDED TO LOWER THE TIMES ON LABOR OPS THATS ALMOST A DAILY OCCURANCE TO LOWER THE LABOR TIME IDK HOW THEY THINK ITS EVEN CLOSE TO BEING FAIR. I DONT HAVE A FAMILY TO FEED, BUT IF I DID, ID BE SCREWED POSSIBLY HAVING TO GET A 2ND FULL TIME JOB! a full week of straight warranty time if i go in at 730 and get out at 8 or 9 ill be lucky if i get 40-45hrs. CP is different 60+hrs. Id like to see you go to work and get a severe cut in your paycheck doing what you do for a living and see how you like it because the boss/owner of the company says whatever it is you do can be done quicker.
Theres no way you or anyone else can tell me that these things are worth a damn when 2 out of the 3 dealerships i worked at had a truck only shop and had 6.4s come rolling in since 2008. They have had the same headaches they had when they first came out. know how everyone is skeptical about the first year of a new engine? Hmm wonder why the 08s 09s 10s all had the same exact failures and not 1 warranty fix has had a lasting effect on this engine system.... Hmmmmmmm possibly because the good folks at ford lost a ton of money on them in warranty repairs the initial 6 months they were sold and coming in for severe issues, and they just cant wait (neither can we) for the warranty to run up then its no longer in their hands.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.