Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i gave a 6.4 and it has 130000 miles and i have dpf delete with a 5inch bladerunner exhaust and a afe intake and h&s xrt pro tuner. Now i want to run the "hot" tune with 250 hp as a normal running tune

(daily driver and just to run over so 6.6 duramaxs and some cummins without blowing gaskets and turbos but also no "pucking coolant and ruining the motor and melting my heads with the egt temps)

I already have the egr delete with a elbow and a set of arp headstuds. What else do i need to make my truck really fully bullet proof and fast and powerful and reliable!!!

Any help would be very appreciated!!!!:what:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
769 Posts
New coolant and maybe a coolant filter.

Possibly something like an AirDog or FASS.

Good fuel.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I getting the coolant filter and egr delete with elbow but what else like headstuds and gaskets?!?

Also anything to heads or the rockers of and cam or the crankshaft?!

Also what about the turbos?!?! Any wastegate on the stock ones i really want just to put batrunner blaces in the stock turbo.

And do the intercooler

:tard:but what im saying is this to far?!?! Or is it just right?!?!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I getting the coolant filter and egr delete with elbow but what else like headstuds and gaskets?!?

Also anything to heads or the rockers of and cam or the crankshaft?!

Also what about the turbos?!?! Any wastegate on the stock ones i really want just to put batrunner blaces in the stock turbo.

And do the intercooler

:tard:but what im saying is this to far?!?! Or is it just right?!?!
The head studs in these trucks hold up very well even with the big tunes. Depending in your plans a wastegate isn't necessary with just a daily driver with tuner, intake and exhaust. Maybe if you were racing or sled pulling a wastegate would be beneficial.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Correct. The 6.4 does not have the issues that the 6.0 had reguarding headgaskets. You will be fine with stock studs and gaskets if you stay with stock turbos. If you plan to do a batmo wheel or a full turbo swap then I would get studs. Coolant filter is a good idea. An airdog I also consider a very good investment. I have one and I love it. Its a piece of mind that the fuel is actually getting filtered, plus adds ease to filter changes.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I thought in your first post you said "I allready have a set of arp studs"

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have them with me not on the truck

I'm planning to remove the cab and put on the studs and elbow. I have already ordered the coolant filter yesterday

But it looks like i will hold off on them until i put bigger turbos and injectors

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd have to disagree on the 6.4 headbolts being strong...I've got stock turbos and need gaskets and studs with H&S running on wild. They might be better than the 6.0 but they aren't up to par for anuthing above stock power...I'd look up all the threads over "puking" before you decide to hold off on the studs.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There actually is A LOT of 6.4 that have blown there HG running very little of a tune. I didn't realize it until mine went out and I started searching. I was very surprised how I wasn't aware because I'm on the site all the time. I ran a 50-80hp time for 100k miles then switched to a 175 drove it like a old man an popped the hood doing regular fluid check coolant was coming out the degas bottle. I deleted egr and changed cap cause I thought no way did they blow I've been full throttle twice and don't tow long story short it was the gaskets

·
Registered
208 Posts
FYI...

In the next issue of Diesel Power Magazine they're doing a write up on what needs to fixed on the 6.4 to make them more bullet proof. The issue goes on sale October 26th.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright thanks for the update about this problem!!! I just really love this truck and i dont want to see it blow up on the side of the road with it pucking and the turbos melting and coolant all over!!!

So if i install the headstuds can i use the original head gasket?!?!

Also has anyone installed them themselfs?!?!

Or should I get a professional to do it?!?! But what the price of the professional install??!?!?!

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
Alright thanks for the update about this problem!!! I just really love this truck and i dont want to see it blow up on the side of the road with it pucking and the turbos melting and coolant all over!!!

So if i install the headstuds can i use the original head gasket?!?!

Also has anyone installed them themselfs?!?!

Or should I get a professional to do it?!?! But what the price of the professional install??!?!?!
Everything in moderation. If you romp on it all the time it's gonna go, if not its kinda a crap shoot. Some stock guys blow them, I've been lucky I guess. I run the 300 tune daily but I'm not going above 40psi ever. I'm planning on head studs eventually just for piece of mind but hopefully I don't need them for a while.

As far as who is doing it. The best way to do it is cab off so you need a lift. If you don't have one, it can be done 1 at a time, but it sounds like it is very difficult. Which leads to professional install.

I've heard anywhere from 2200-3500 for stud install professionally.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man big doe for studs but i know its worth it!!!! I will talk to my friend that is a diesel freak!!

(He has a 6.4 too... and he is pushing around 900hp on fuel also hes doing my other truck 2001 ford 7.3 !! Loved it blew gaskets and pistol 1 and 8 but it was worth it!! I know everything about 7.3s and now it has a brand new motor with coustom twin 200hpcc injectors and a pair of dual turbos:) now of corse its my dads and im stuck with the 6.4.)

I just really dont know the motor that well and all of its coolant egr dpf crap!!!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:icon_ford:Man big doe for studs but i know its worth it!!!! I will talk to my friend that is a diesel freak!!

(He has a 6.4 too... and he is pushing around 900hp on fuel also hes doing my other truck 2001 ford 7.3 !! Loved it blew gaskets and pistol 1 and 8 but it was worth it!! I know everything about 7.3s and now it has a brand new motor with coustom twin 200hpcc injectors and a pair of dual turbos:) now of corse its my dads and im stuck with the 6.4.)

I just really dont know the motor that well and all of its coolant egr dpf crap!!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you do the headstuds best way is can off I would avoid the 1 at a time. Also I recomend sticking with oem gaskets

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Check XDP for OEM gaskets I ordered my gaskets for my old 6.0 for them they're cheap and great people to work with

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.