Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 6.4L has bad rockers...I can hear the tell tale popping sound coming from the airbox side of the truck. Dealer has quoted me 14 hours of labor and a total of $3,500 to replace rockers on both sides. The labor DOES NOT include pulling the cab. I thought this was extremely high from what I have researched on line and would appreciate any feedback on what people think is a fair price

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you get what you pay for.

Trade that truck in and move on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
from what I understand the valve covers and rockers can be pulled without pulling the cab.

hell of a reception to a first post by a moderator too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm finding that a few shops are saying no need to pull the cab, it is Ford recommended but not needed. I found a shop that quoted $1,200 but I am curious on why the huge disparity in price. It can't all be related to pulling the cab off

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
hell of a reception to a first post by a moderator too
Since you seem sensitive, feel free to PM with your concerns on how I moderate.

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
Yeah I'm finding that a few shops are saying no need to pull the cab, it is Ford recommended but not needed. I found a shop that quoted $1,200 but I am curious on why the huge disparity in price. It can't all be related to pulling the cab off
Some shops will price themselves out of a job because they do not want the work or the liability of the 6.4.

I'm sure a tech wants to lift the cab, its easier on the tech and puts the cost on you.

seeing past Robs sensitivity, if this truck puts food on your table you may want to consider my earlier post.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
No need, sensitivity has nothing to do with it.

The "get rid of it" response by a 6.4 moderator on my first post in a 6.4 thread would make me question the forum I chose for information.
When you spend years telling thousands of people the same thing it gets old. The internet has so many things in terms of resources. Everyone knows by now IF THEY DID EVEN 30 SECONDS OF RESEARCH they would learn that the 6.4L is a total trash engine and made a worse black mark on Ford than the early 6.0L. I don't know about the rest of us, but for me a vehicle is a very large purchase so I do a little bit of research before throwing major coin at something I'd like to have for more than a month.

Telling the OP to cut his losses is VERY WISE if not a little blunt. Why waste time trying to convince someone when they have all the power and resources at their finger tips to see very quickly that its the wisest thing to do. "get rid of it". This is 2019 and the forum has survived by being a resource to help truck owners with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions. not coddling them with rainbows. The owner still has the ultimate authority to do with what is theirs what they want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the 6.4 is not trash. Well maintained, it’s a fantastic Diesel engine. A lot of the horror stories you hear on these forums are people deleting and tuning them, racing them, and blowing them up. Or, they buy some poorly maintained truck and experience issues.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Im with Rob on this. Op asked opinions on pricing, not whether to sell the truck or opinions on 6.4 ownership in general.

He knows what everyone thinks about the 6.4 because it is posted on every thread since the beginning of 2019. The default answer to everything now is “sell the truck” and forum members are no longer getting the help they came here for. Not trying to ruffle feathers or pick sides, just saying what i see transpiring.

That being said, OP 3,500 is a little steep for cab on. Does it include the replacement assemblies as well?

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,217 Posts
Actually the 6.4 is not trash. Well maintained, it’s a fantastic Diesel engine. A lot of the horror stories you hear on these forums are people deleting and tuning them, racing them, and blowing them up. Or, they buy some poorly maintained truck and experience issues.
the 6.4 blows up stock as a rock. if you don't delete them they blow up.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
Old thread. Love the replies.

·
Administrator
29,127 Posts
Actually the 6.4 is not trash. Well maintained, it’s a fantastic Diesel engine. .
so you have a 6.4 then ?

it is the worst of all the diesels in the F series trucks to date IME and when it has a valve train issue it becomes a trash motor in seconds

(trash meaning the motor is completely fubared and is trash = needs a replacement not rebuild

many folks on here and other forums that have had issues reported maintaining them well and no performance adders and have a failure that results in catastrophic damage to the point that their investment has become an upside down trade in or worse

so yes Heavy GD was caught up at the moment but he was not wrong IMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the 6.4 is one of the best engines ever put in a F series. Better than all years of the 6.0 and superior to the 2011-2014 6.7s. It only has issues when abused / overtuned / modified with incompetence / not maintained.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,217 Posts
Actually the 6.4 is one of the best engines ever put in a F series. Better than all years of the 6.0 and superior to the 2011-2014 6.7s. It only has issues when abused / overtuned / modified with incompetence / not maintained.
Troll. Haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts