Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 6.4 with 170k miles deleted at 50k with a 4 inch exhaust, sb intake. Egr delete with a hs mini maxx race tuner. Running the hd300 on the 250 horsepower setting. Replaced all fuel filters, synthetic 5w-40 oil. I’m currently getting 8 in the city and 12 on the highway. Very easy on the throttle 373 gears with 35/12.5/20 tires. Checked blow by with the old oil cap method and their was no movement or smoke can’t even feel anything puffing with my hand. I cleaned maf sensor, ebt sensor, and map sensor. It runs pretty good starts right up. Not to fast until it builds boost then it becomes a rocket ship. So I was wondering if theirs anything else I should be checking for. Was hoping for about 15-16 on the highway empty going 70

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,840 Posts
Egr injects fuel into the intake to reduce the amount of fuel that has to be consumed, since diesels dont have vvt. So you’re feeling the effect of a big tune, with big pulsewidths and big tires, get used to the horrible fuel economy, get a custom tune and dial back the PW a bit. H&S is junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did my delete about a year ago - sounds like similar truck - had 100k on mine when I did it. I too was looking for much improved mpgs but didn’t see it. Had a spreadsheet set up on Google drive to do hand math for me and it was anywhere from 10-12... I think. Dash shows average of 13.5

I installed the max tune (have to or get wrench light... I think) and run tow tune almost always.

Hope this helps. Maybe we both are doing something wrong?!

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,840 Posts
I did my delete about a year ago - sounds like similar truck - had 100k on mine when I did it. I too was looking for much improved mpgs but didn’t see it. Had a spreadsheet set up on Google drive to do hand math for me and it was anywhere from 10-12... I think. Dash shows average of 13.5

I installed the max tune (have to or get wrench light... I think) and run tow tune almost always.

Hope this helps. Maybe we both are doing something wrong?!

No you’re deleted and tuned with a bad tune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Egr injects fuel into the intake to reduce the amount of fuel that has to be consumed, since diesels dont have vvt. So you’re feeling the effect of a big tune, with big pulsewidths and big tires, get used to the horrible fuel economy, get a custom tune and dial back the PW a bit. H&S is junk.

Any recommendations on who to get a custom tune from who still support egr and dpf deletes? Thank you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please send them here also. Im wondering what is ‘custom’ about the tunes? Wouldn’t a tune for a 6,4 in a given year be fairly ‘standard’?

Or do they take tires, mods, etc in to account?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well hell, I’ll try that for a while and see what happens. The h and a wasn’t cheap and I’d hate to fork out more money for a new tuner and custom tune. x more miles per gallon divided by life of engine = may or may not be worth it - for me.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have a 6.4 with 170k miles recently deleted with a 4 inch exhaust, sb intake. Egr delete with a hs mini maxx race tuner. Running the hd300 on the 250 horsepower setting. Replaced all fuel filters, synthetic 5w-40 oil. I’m currently getting 8 in the city and 12 on the highway. Very easy on the throttle 373 gears with 35/12.5/20 tires. Checked blow by with the old oil cap method and their was no movement or smoke can’t even feel anything puffing with my hand. I cleaned maf sensor, ebt sensor, and map sensor. It runs pretty good starts right up. Not to fast until it builds boost then it becomes a rocket ship. So I was wondering if theirs anything else I should be checking for. Was hoping for about 15-16 on the highway empty going 70
My mileage never changed a whole lot either after installing the H&S either but it did slightly improve with highway driving. Around town I didn’t notice any improvement. I’ve been running the hd300 tune for years.

Edit : I’m also running 35’s.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You guys going off the dash calculation are dead wrong. You need to calculate it by hand to really see what it is. By bet is it's not as good as what the dash is telling you. To the OP, with 170k and you just deleted and are running a 250hp tune, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You guys going off the dash calculation are dead wrong. You need to calculate it by hand to really see what it is. By bet is it's not as good as what the dash is telling you. To the OP, with 170k and you just deleted and are running a 250hp tune, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Sorry It’s been dpf deleted since 50k I recently just did the egr delete instead of having it turned to off. had a Spartan tuner but then it stopped working so I decided to get a minimaxx. It’s studded and runs really good with new turbos. But just wanted to ask the question because it’s never gotten better then 12 towing or 13-14 empty.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Not if it’s been maintained and he isn’t hot rodding it all over town. And who knows the maintenance history...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.