Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,179 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, I was not expecting this much discussion! Definitely opened my eyes more to the differences and made my search a little bit easier.
i don’t know what size backhoes you guys uses but I’m used to the standard 4x4 John Deer and Cats all 15k+ in weight. Most skidsteer are 6k+ unless they're the smaller landscape ones. Assuming the bed weight is from a cord of firewood?

it sound to me more like a diesel is needed personally.

Reactions: TronFord

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i don’t know what size backhoes you guys uses but I’m used to the standard 4x4 John Deer and Cats all 15k+ in weight. Most skidsteer are 6k+ unless they're the smaller landscape ones. Assuming the bed weight is from a cord of firewood?

it sound to me more like a diesel is needed personally.
Our machinery weights span from 4-10k. Possibly larger as we expand the company, but I’m not counting on it. I’m definitely leaning more toward the diesel, but I’ve heard good things about the towing ability of the 6.2l. Is an older diesel that much better?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Our machinery weights span from 4-10k. Possibly larger as we expand the company, but I’m not counting on it. I’m definitely leaning more toward the diesel, but I’ve heard good things about the towing ability of the 6.2l. Is an older diesel that much better?
You didn’t mention that. 3-5k, plus 2K in the bed. And 10K, plus float, periodically. Maybe more in the future.

I’d get an F350 diesel and call it a day.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I tow heavy maybe twice as much as you are anticipating at this time and I absolutely love having the diesel for it. Again like I said earlier I've used my dad's 6.2 to tow the same loads and it does fine. I still think you will enjoy a diesel more in the long run but also buying the cheaper gas truck for the first one will give you time to build up some funding for finding a diesel you love instead of like. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't go wrong right now, outside of buying a truck that is used up regardless of being gas or diesel, lol.

Reactions: Tracken16

·
Premium Member
9,179 Posts

Its a double edged sword question so with the below information its up to you....

Older diesel will have more pulling power and longevity with heavy towing but.... Older means you are going to have some initial fixing up cost and little more regular maintenance cost as a work truck typically gets hire miles faster and just more money for operations cost.

A newer Gasser would be longer running with less maintenance cost upfront but overtime the drive-train aspects of a Gasser will cost more in the future.

Personally buy a truck that you or those close/smarter than you can work on and buy as new as you can afford. I totally understand wanting to save money but... how much money will you save if the tow truck is always broke down and needing repairs. Im still leaning on a diesel for your specific needs but just remember higher operating cost for a better long term and initially you're going to have to dump some money into the truck most likely.

A 99-03 7.3l would be my first best. If you can find a F450 thats 4x4 that would be a huge plus. May cost a tad bit more insurance wise but will handle firewood and a trailer combos much better.

Reactions: Tracken16

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a diesel for sure, but get a 7.3IDI. It'll do more work than any gasser, gets better mpg than a gasser, is super cheap to maintain, super reliable. I had one for 10 years or so and recently got a 6.0, but I can afford it. For you getting the IDI and over time putting in super duty axles, and an overdrive transmission if it didn't come with one would last you a decade easy.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I remember the days of 7.3 IDI...they were part of the progression chain that ultimately produced one of the finest diesel engines ever made! They were slow and loud but we liked it that way! I think only the 6.9 version could lay claim to slower...although I didn't own one of those because I was out-pulling them daily with my 454 & 460 gassers...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drive a 2011 6.2 f250 for work I've owned a 7.3 and my current 6.4. the 7.3 sounds better with overdrive off your towing at 55. It pulls 18 foot enclosed trailer might be a little shorter its about 5k pounds with tools plus a welder in the bed it revs out to about 3500 up hills but tows fine

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remember the days of 7.3 IDI...they were part of the progression chain that ultimately produced one of the finest diesel engines ever made! They were slow and loud but we liked it that way! I think only the 6.9 version could lay claim to slower...although I didn't own one of those because I was out-pulling them daily with my 454 & 460 gassers...
Back when they were making them they didn't know how to tune them. With the pumps and exhaust and such today a 7.3IDI will out pull a gasser easy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is everyones thoughts on the 6.2l gas engine vs an older diesel (ex. 6.0 or 7.3). Where I’m from, a lower mile older diesel goes for approximately the same price as a early model 6.2 gas. Which do y’all think is better for daily driving. And which one do y’all think is more fun :). (I know I know, trucks aren’t meant to be race cars, but who doesn’t love gettin on it once in a while)
I don't know what people are saying but there is no contest if the 7.3 diesel has been maintained , better gas mileage especially if your towing anything, most parts are pretty reasonable and available, change oil and filters every 6000 miles and it's pretty much bullet proof as is, diesel as a stock engine is not a race car it's a hauler and a good one , but low end it has a little snap and they are fun off road if you get an old 4x4, lock the front hubs and go on with it, I hope you like working on vehicles ,if you do you will have a ball and you will be jackin with it all the time just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn’t realize it was such a difference! That comparison definitely has got me thinking now, thanks for the info!
This from another old Marine. while a long block might cost twice as much, a diesel generally if maintained will last three times as long as your gasser, so you do the addition and tell me what is cheaper, what would you rather have a gas engine with 200,000 miles on it or a diesel with 200,000 miles on it,

·
Administrator
22,231 Posts
I'm going to clean this thread up, if your post disappears thats a warning to keep it on topic.

If that wasn't clear, for the next 24 hours site bans are free... get yours while you can.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Back when they were making them they didn't know how to tune them. With the pumps and exhaust and such today a 7.3IDI will out pull a gasser easy.
What gasser are you talking about? The 6.2 Ford gas puts out 385 HP, a stock 7.3 IDI put out 190hp if you got the turbo version. Unless you put a whole bunch of money in that IDI the 6.2 will outrun it with any load. Even an old 460 gas engine will outpull an IDI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What gasser are you talking about? The 6.2 Ford gas puts out 385 HP, a stock 7.3 IDI put out 190hp if you got the turbo version. Unless you put a whole bunch of money in that IDI the 6.2 will outrun it with any load. Even an old 460 gas engine will outpull an IDI.
out run yes, out pull no and run out of fuel much faster, any year from 1995 on up will have the powerstroke 7.3 turbo charged diesel without towing, about 15mpg and will pull anywhere even at altitude like Denver ,try that with your normally aspirated gasser, why do you think most large trucks and equipment have diesel engines?

·
Registered
22 Posts
With any of those gassers. HP is not the end all by any means. Remember a diesel makes 2.2 lb/ft per hp. It doesn't take much money to get them tuned good. The 6.2 and 460 would be faster empty, sure. But under a heavy load they can't keep up. And in that 60ft the IDI would win stock for stock.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
With any of those gassers. HP is not the end all by any means. Remember a diesel makes 2.2 lb/ft per hp. It doesn't take much money to get them tuned good. The 6.2 and 460 would be faster empty, sure. But under a heavy load they can't keep up. And in that 60ft the IDI would win stock for stock.
Hook 10K behind a stock 6.2 and a stock IDI and do a uphill pull on the highway and the 6.2 will win every time. More Torque gets your load moving better and allows you to run at lower RPMs but HP is what gets your load up a hill at speed.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
out run yes, out pull no and run out of fuel much faster, any year from 1995 on up will have the powerstroke 7.3 turbo charged diesel without towing, about 15mpg and will pull anywhere even at altitude like Denver ,try that with your normally aspirated gasser, why do you think most large trucks and equipment have diesel engines?
A 7.3 Powerstroke is in a completley different ballgame than a 7.3 IDI. Back before direct injection turbo diesels were offered in pickup trucks the only reason to buy a diesel was for fuel milage, the big block gas engines outperformed them in every other category. Direct injection changed all of that and made diesels better than gas engines in just about every category.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A 7.3 Powerstroke is in a completley different ballgame than a 7.3 IDI. Back before direct injection turbo diesels were offered in pickup trucks the only reason to buy a diesel was for fuel milage, the big block gas engines outperformed them in every other category. Direct injection changed all of that and made diesels better than gas engines in just about every category.
Without comparing to the gasser, the idi on its own is "okay."
But I feel like most in this thread haven driven the newer gassers. Let alone compared to a idi.
Tfl truck has some decent comparison videos. I don't think any with idi's, but good towing comparisons and mileage numbers.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I can’t believe this is even a debate.

For the OP, here are some comparison numbers for you if you are thinking of something older.

Stock

7.3 IDI Non turbo...HP 185 TQ 358
7.3 IDI Turbo TQ....HP 190 TQ 388
6.2 Gas..................HP 385 TQ 430 (2020)
460 Gas.................HP 245 TQ 410 (1993)

Cheers, 🍻

Reactions: jman37

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hook 10K behind a stock 6.2 and a stock IDI and do a uphill pull on the highway and the 6.2 will win every time. More Torque gets your load moving better and allows you to run at lower RPMs but HP is what gets your load up a hill at speed.
How much torque do you think a 6.2 makes, LOL. It's not enough to take an IDI in towing.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts