Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, what is everyones thoughts on the 6.2l gas engine vs an older diesel (ex. 6.0 or 7.3). Where I’m from, a lower mile older diesel goes for approximately the same price as a early model 6.2 gas. Which do y’all think is better for daily driving. And which one do y’all think is more fun :). (I know I know, trucks aren’t meant to be race cars, but who doesn’t love gettin on it once in a while)

·
Registered
607 Posts
If I recall correctly you are the 17 year old looking for a truck correct? If that is right I honestly would get the gasser for starters. It is going to be way easier on your pocket book than the 6.0 or a 7.3 that is aged. That being said obviously a good built 6.0 is going to be a blast to drive, hell even my mildly modded not built correctly 6.0 was fun to drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall correctly you are the 17 year old looking for a truck correct? If that is right I honestly would get the gasser for starters. It is going to be way easier on your pocket book than the 6.0 or a 7.3 that is aged. That being said obviously a good built 6.0 is going to be a blast to drive, hell even my mildly modded not built correctly 6.0 was fun to drive.
That is correct, but this post was more out of curiosity rather than what to buy. My step dad has a 6.2 and he loves it. Definitely a good option, especially with the strong possibility of diesel prices going up in my area in the coming years. Thank you!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not sure the year you can afford but in a somewhat shared experience my dad got his '18 with the gas motor in it brand new and it has plenty of power and such. It is also about as basic as it can be with 4x4 and regular cab so it's not pushing around as much truck as my '16 crew cab. I don't mind driving the gasser when it just so happens but I always do enjoy towing with my diesel over his gas.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 6.2, friend bought his '13 brand new and has 175k on it now with no issues. Enough power to have some fun with.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
The V10 is a gas hog and had spark plug issues but overal it is a great truck! just won't perform towing like a 7.3l by any means. Overall diesels are much more in maintenance and overall cost of ownership but they are personal tow trucks etc. The gasser gets less mpg towing and empty but parts and labor are much cheaper too so its all about personal preference. Personally if you are towing more than 50% of the time multiple days a week a diesel is worth it. If only towing couple times a month usually not worth it cost wise but again your truck your wallet your choice. Sometimes gotta do some ******* math and balance in the needs vs wants etc.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The V10 is a gas hog and had spark plug issues but overal it is a great truck! just won't perform towing like a 7.3l by any means. Overall diesels are much more in maintenance and overall cost of ownership but they are personal tow trucks etc. The gasser gets less mpg towing and empty but parts and labor are much cheaper too so its all about personal preference. Personally if you are towing more than 50% of the time multiple days a week a diesel is worth it. If only towing couple times a month usually not worth it cost wise but again your truck your wallet your choice. Sometimes gotta do some ******* math and balance in the needs vs wants etc.
The 6.2 is a v8. The 6.8 is the v10.

Reactions: bc_vickers

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Go with the gas if you're not pulling the weight. I have the 6.2 in a Raptor and just rolled over 200k trouble-free miles. It's a blast to drive and the gas mileage isn't much worse than my 6.0. Gas is usually the better deal for general transportation unless you're young, or have testosterone problems, or are pulling significant weight.

Reactions: Tracken16

·
Hate stupid people
8,585 Posts
The ROI is with the gas truck unless your pulling heavy loads daily.
I no longer need my 6.7 cummins for working i'm planning on selling it in the next 6 months for a gas truck.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
The 6.2 is a v8. The 6.8 is the v10.
ah shoot! Got them them confused again. But still the 6.2L run with a Couple highway maintenance and excavation companies have fleets of them with 200k plus. Still has hogs but seem to treat them very well. A close friend has been using one for a while now towing a mini ex constantly too.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
A 7.3 Powerstroke is better for daily driving because its more fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're 17? I joined the Marines at 17. I digress..

Here's some food for thought; a long block on my 95 F150 cost 3K, a long block on my 07 F350 is 7K;. not including the core or any other parts. See the difference? Diesel's are in fact more expensive to maintain and repair.

C

Just out of curiosity, what is everyones thoughts on the 6.2l gas engine vs an older diesel (ex. 6.0 or 7.3). Where I’m from, a lower mile older diesel goes for approximately the same price as a early model 6.2 gas. Which do y’all think is better for daily driving. And which one do y’all think is more fun :). (I know I know, trucks aren’t meant to be race cars, but who doesn’t love gettin on it once in a while)

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

Here's some food for thought; a long block on my 95 F150 cost 3K, a long block on my 07 F350 is 7K;. not including the core or any other parts. See the difference? Diesel's are in fact more expensive to maintain and repair.

C
That right there. Imho, get a gas until you have a $10k fund to use at anytime for major repairs. That’s just my opinion though.

Reactions: Spirit

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
69 Posts
We see this a lot. Young kid buys a diesel truck usually a rusted beat *** cumstain dodge. Beats it more until it fails, typically already has issues when they buy it. Then something fails and they can’t afford to fix right way. So then “my buddy that’s a mechanic” helps them and they’re in worse shape yet and it gets passed down the line again. Just figure that most diesel repairs are gonna start at a min of 1k and go up exponentially from there. Are they fun to own-yes but if you’re not going to actually work the truck and you’re stuck on a truck buy a ecoboost f150 or 5.0.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
We see this a lot. Young kid buys a diesel truck usually a rusted beat *** cumstain dodge. Beats it more until it fails, typically already has issues when they buy it. Then something fails and they can’t afford to fix right way. So then “my buddy that’s a mechanic” helps them and they’re in worse shape yet and it gets passed down the line again. Just figure that most diesel repairs are gonna start at a min of 1k and go up exponentially from there. Are they fun to own-yes but if you’re not going to actually work the truck and you’re stuck on a truck buy a ecoboost f150 or 5.0.
The only repairs I have done on mine that cost over 1K was the bigger injectors, Turbo, and clutch, and those things were more performance upgrades than repairs, the turbo and injectors I took out still worked fine. Most repairs on a 7.3 are far cheaper and easier than on any of the newer trucks gas or diesel.

Reactions: Tracken16

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I totally agree with this. The only practical reason to ever get a diesel is to do what that 95 F 150 won't. In my case that's tow a 12k Fifth Wheel trailer. I need a bigger truck than an F-150 for that.

Imagine all the extra upgrades that can go into that cheaper truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

C
I didn’t realize it was such a difference! That comparison definitely has got me thinking now, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would be towing often, but not super heavy. Averaging 3-5k plus 2k in the bed atleast twice a week. I manage a firewood yard and I would need it as a delivery truck. I would also be picking up logs and moving our skid steers and backhoes with our 16 and 20ft trailers, but only 4-6 times a year. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the feedback, I was not expecting this much discussion! Definitely opened my eyes more to the differences and made my search a little bit easier.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts