Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, this truck is about to drive me nuts. Its an 06 F-350 srw, FX4, crew cab, lwb, automatic. I got the truck back in april, and loved it for about a week, then the problems started.

First, it started running rough on a cold start, and puffing a little white smoke, it kept getting worse and worse. I replaced both fuel filters, changed the oil, stuck a new air filter in it, none of which improved the conditions. So it took it to the dealer. 2 bad injectors. Replaced them. Ran good for another week, then the same thing. 2 more bad injectors. I decided I wasn't going to do this injector a week thing, so I ordered a whole set of stage 1's and a full egr block off kit with a new up pipe and everything. Took it all to the dealership to put on. While they were in there, they checked the turbo and saw that it was pretty corroded and not far from needing replacement (130,000 miles) so they changed it too.

Within a week it was up the the same antics. Took it back to the dealer, bad back pressure sensor on the exhaust, and another f'n injector, #8 again, for the second time.

I got the new injector and took it to them, they put it in.

I started checking stuff. The oil was a little low (about a quart), but other than that all seems fine. I drove to new orleans saturday night, about a hour and a half each way, and it did good. Went out on the river sunday, did great sunday morning, when we got back to the boat launch and a cranked up to pull the ski out, WHITE SMOKE!

Its not puking coolant, and the smoke smells like diesel. It runs like absolute crap till it is fully warmed up. Fuel pressure is good (we checked after replacing the last injector). It doesn't overheat, even in stand still traffic. It does spit out a puff of white smoke after idling for any more than a few seconds and idles prgressively rougher the longer it sits, even when its warmed up.

I'm about 5 grand into repair work alone on this thing, and its still not right. I'm about ready to cut my losses and trade it in on something else. If its not right after this next run through the shop, its gone, one way or another.

Anyone have any idea what it might be.

Only mods are the stage 1 injectors and a 4" turbo back with a muffler but no cats. It also has the full EGR delete. I have an sct for it but only ran it one time and only on a street tune, not even the performance tune. the same problem existed before and after the sct was on the truck, so i don't think it caused it.

HELP!

·
Registered
597 Posts
recalibrate the PCM?? Why did you put stage one injectors in?? Did you not retune for these?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them for the performance increase, and yes, I have tunes for them, but i'm not going to put the tunes on the truck till everything is right.

It seems to be repetitively killing injector #8...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Any info on what is dead with injector 8? pintle issue, wiring, spool valve, seizing issues?? It's important to know this since it can help pin point what the root cause is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seizing. It seems to be running dry for some reason...

I should also add that when I'm at WOT, either taking off or taking an on ramp, it seems to run out of fuel for a second right before it shifts. Pulls hard, then kinda looses a beat, then pulls again, sometimes just once, sometimes a couple times, but its always at high rpms right before it shifts gears.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is the fuel pump supplying enough fuel?

edit: Wow, I can't believe that's my first post here. I've been reading for years. :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
If you don't have an in cab fuel pressure gauge... Get one. I think low fuel pressure is part of your problem, if not all of it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It is astonishing to think that a dealership service department is incappable of having a CLUE and performing a fuel pressure and flow rate test based on a detailed customer complaint such as this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds very similar to a VW dealer trying to diagnose problems with a TDI. Just throw parts at it and hope for the best! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
It is astonishing to think that a dealership service department is incappable of having a CLUE and performing a fuel pressure and flow rate test based on a detailed customer complaint such as this.
Sounds very similar to a VW dealer trying to diagnose problems with a TDI. Just throw parts at it and hope for the best! :rolleyes:
The unfortunate fact is many of todays "techs" are a far cry from a good old fashioned "mechanic". There was a time when a mechanic would learn the trade and be taught to diagnose or troubleshoot the problem. Finding the root cause was an important part of the job. The new philosophy is to look at the symptoms, refer to the TSB's or consult with some engineer or regional rep. Then they throw parts at it and cross their fingers.

I'm not saying all techs these days are this way. There are still plenty out there who have the good, "old" mindset. But they are a dying breed. Somebody behind a desk in Detroit or someplace counted the beans and decided the modern way was the most cost effective method and would net a better profit for the dealerships and manufacturers. That and they can get a lot more work in and out the door quicker.

This is all JMO of course...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The unfortunate fact is many of todays "techs" are a far cry from a good old fashioned "mechanic". There was a time when a mechanic would learn the trade and be taught to diagnose or troubleshoot the problem. Finding the root cause was an important part of the job. The new philosophy is to look at the symptoms, refer to the TSB's or consult with some engineer or regional rep. Then they throw parts at it and cross their fingers.

I'm not saying all techs these days are this way. There are still plenty out there who have the good, "old" mindset. But they are a dying breed. Somebody behind a desk in Detroit or someplace counted the beans and decided the modern way was the most cost effective method and would net a better profit for the dealerships and manufacturers. That and they can get a lot more work in and out the door quicker.

This is all JMO of course...
I hate to say it, but that seems to be what's going on. I'm trying to diagnose the problem on my own. I'm not going to replace the injector until I figure out whats killing them. Who makes a cheap fuel pressure gauge?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I worked for dealers for years. Was ASE Master Auto/Diesel tech and worked for BMW. Got of the business about 8 years ago because of all the BS "politics" in dealerships. Nowadays, if you have 10 techs in a shop, one of them is a ASE Master, and is factory trained to understand all the systems. The other 9 are "Parts Changers" The Master does all the driveability/diagnosis issues, and then has one of the other techs do the R&R. It's pretty sad, but it is very cost effective.

As for your issue, when you say it dies before shifts, I know that it will pull fuel/timing just a bit in stock programming just before a shift to help smooth the shift out. This is pretty subtle though. You have to be watching for it to notice it. If it's really dying out at high RPM, I agree also that you should look at fuel starvation.
When you say it is seized up, what part? The fuel injector plunger, or the oil side?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump for a good in cab fuel guage provider
I should have an AutoMeter z series full sweep electric 0-100psi here tomorrow. The local hot rod shop is getting it for me. We've done a lot of business with him on other projects, so I trust his advise, and he said that it was a good one for the money... Had to go electric since its going to be a permanent mount in the cab.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Man I hate to hear about your run of bad luck. I hope it starts to get figured out, I cant tell you ne thing about a 6.0 yet but with the guys on hear youll be as good as new before you know it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man I hate to hear about your run of bad luck. I hope it starts to get figured out, I cant tell you ne thing about a 6.0 yet but with the guys on hear youll be as good as new before you know it
I hope so. I am pretty sure that it would have been a simple problem to solve way back at the beginning if the mechanic would have taken the time to run some diagnostics on it. But that is done and gone, I'm just gonna do what I can to solve it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts