Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 F-350 has had issues with putting a load behind it lately. If I have at least 5000lbs or more behind me and I get on a hard pull up a hill the truck will put itself in a limp mode, light comes on and it wont build over 12lbs of boost. A friend of mine hooked his diagnostic tool up to it and the code said something along the lines of a supercharger over rev issue. He had also said the limp mode issue may be due to it defueling itself from building to much boost. All of my turbo hoses and lines are in good shape. Has anyone had this problem or know about it, feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
sounds like the veins in the turbo are stuck causing an over boost. Pull the turbo and give the veins a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
sounds like the veins in the turbo are stuck causing an over boost. Pull the turbo and give the veins a good cleaning.
Yep, what he said ^^^^. And by the way, these trucks have turbo chargers not super chargers. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
There are times when an owner should take their vehicle to a mechanic because they don't have enough knowledge and experience to troubleshoot and repair an issue themselves.

This is one of those times.

What fun is that? What are you gonna learn from that? Get er done man! Get in there and tear into that sucker! Dont be scared!

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
If the owner of a 6.0 Powerstroke believes he has a problem with his supercharger, I wouldn't encourage that individual to work on his own engine. :hehe:

I have to agree...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
jeez guys bust the guys chop cause he gets a term wrong. How many times have I seen somebody on here use the term "gas" instead of fuel or diesel? Should that guy never fill up his own truck again? The dude's on his second post.
Cribbs6 if there is anything that I can help you out with please feel free to pm me!

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I agree with the stuck vanes, but keep me honest here.......he's only seeing a maximum of 12 lbs of boost. Could that cause an over rev / over speed? The OP said the issue was an over rev, not an over boost.

jeez guys bust the guys chop cause he gets a term wrong. How many times have I seen somebody on here use the term "gas" instead of fuel or diesel? Should that guy never fill up his own truck again? The dude's on his second post.
Cribbs6 if there is anything that I can help you out with please feel free to pm me!
If I asked you where I could find replacement spark plugs for my Powerstroke, would you tell me to

Get er done man! Get in there and tear into that sucker! Dont be scared!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
How about the lope tunes!?!?!?!?

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
How about the lope tunes!?!?!?!?
I ordered a lope tune with extra lope. Cause race car. :liar:

:hehe:

Hey guys what psi is considered "overboost" on a stock turbo? What's the worst case scenario as far as damage goes?
A stock turbo on stock programming should hit around 25 psi. Anything much over that and it could be considered an over boost. That doesn't mean the truck will throw a code, though. Custom programming can add another 10 lbs of boost or more, but the OEM turbo is out of it's efficiency zone around 35 psi. Which is why most shops that write custom SCT tunes try to keep max boost around 30-35 psi if the customer has a stock turbo (and the short answer to your question about over boost is anything over 35 psi, IMO). Worst case scenario from running too much boost? Any combination of the following: blown head gaskets, damaged turbo, cold side intercooler tube failure, intercooler rupture,........

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Dang I wish I could get that!!! The best Ive been able to do is 24? Right around that. But I live @ 6000' plus. If you do figure on cleaning the turbo its actually a very friendly diy job. A lot on good videos on you tube about it. Hardest thing just getting that sucker out and sealed back up. But you can do it and save a boat load of cash!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Right on! I think you'll be surprised how easy it reeley is.
Ive been very happy so far with how easy the 6.0 is to work on. When you open the hood all you see is hoses and I know I first thought aint no way Im messin with that. But heck Ive been down to the head studs and did the Bullet Proof oil cooler and it even started when I was done!
So like I said "GET ER DONE" you can do it! And if you do find super charger....hook it up!

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Lol... I know its not a supercharger.. that's what the diagnostic tool had said. People need to lighten up, damn
:funny:

Glad you said something to clear that up. Anything else you can tell us about the truck when it begins having problems? Does it start blowing smoke out the exhaust? How much speed (mph) do you lose? Does the situation eventually go away? How long does it take? Are you able to provide other engine parameters / readings (temperatures, voltage, etc)?

I'm almost wondering if this is a clogged oil cooler and the truck is defueling when the oil temp gets too high. If the symptoms were caused by sticky turbo vanes, the truck would have the problem all the time. Not just when pulling a trailer up a hill.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts