Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6.0L newby here. I've been looking for info on the best components to replace my steering components. I have an 05 6.oL F250 superduty with 168000K miles. So far, I've bullet proofed the engine, and replaced all four shocks and the steering damper with Bilstien components. Don't know if their the best choice but, it made a huge difference. I was told by the mechanic, that the steering components need to be replaced. I'd like to do the tie rods, drag link, track bar, tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves. My mechanic recommends MOOG but I was thinking motorcraft. Truck has made it this far on regional parts and it's likely I won't have the truck after another 100k miles. So MOOG vs Motorcraft, vs ?. I have a set Ball joints (XRT?) that came with the truck and will be replacing those as well. Opinions please. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
33,908 Posts
your preferred product thinking is better than the mechanics, but your Mechanic should already know this
MooG is not what it used to be and it has been verified many times on this forum
even my own experience when I replaced my tie rod ends with MooG was poor , they were not the same feel and visual build quality as OEM spicer and they lasted 1/3 as long
also since I purchased thru Amazon any warranty would be through MooG and that process and requirements were a JOKE so they are in the trash now

that being said I had expected less from MooG but the price was less and I could get them quick so I tool a chance ,, I did not take a chance with them as far as BallJ oints and went with OEM spicer glad I did

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info ZMANN. I'll have to go back and look but as I recall, but even though MOOG is significantly less than motorcraft, I think I'll go with motorcraft. It's a not a job I want to redo in a year or so. You're right, MOOG is much less expensive. The cost of branding. And, I have doubts about the quality MOOG because 6 months after installing my steering damper, I had to replace it because the bushings on the piston side showed signs of failure/cracking. MOOG said it definitely needed to be replaced and to go back to the seller. You know how that went. Thankfully, A finally relented and the install is easy. That said, my truck is too big to fit in my garage. When it's 15 below outside, it's not a fun job.

One other question. Motorcraft doesn't have zirc fittings but MOOG and other brands do. What's that all about? Are you supposed to grease the motorcraft fittings or just install and leave them alone?
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
33,908 Posts
so the Zerk question
I also like serviceable products but Spicer has a good argument for not installing them, and honestly the proof is in the puddin ( there non-serviceable l seem to last )

they say most premature failures of components is from the dirt injected during greasing and that the lubed for life have enough lube to meet the life expectancy of the part
I think this is pretty reasonable, but on the Spicer units that you can purchase either way I will go zerk since I clean off my fittings before service

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spray those fittings with a solvent to clean them and dry them thoroughly...compressed air lightghtly used can work as well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got it done! It took a lot of time researching parts and how to's but I finally jumped in with both feet.
I am not a mechanic but with remarkable help of the US military hobby shop, it took 2 full days to complete.
In hind sight, it was not as bad as I was expecting. But daunting none the less.
So, to all those who gave advice, thank you!
Now onto the next project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts