Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how is this motor in the long haul, will it last like other diesels? how many thousand miles can you put on this motor

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I'de say if it's a hauler around 150K miles maybe 200K if your lucky. If its a daily driver about 300K miles. My cousins 03 has had 3 engines and it has 120K miles but its a hauler.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With regular (and proper) maintenance, it ought to last a while.

If you start adding tuners and fiddling around with settings, that's another story

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you have a money tree you can make it last for a bagillion miles.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
mine is a 05 with almost 180K its been used HARD. and has had a load behind it 85% of the time. only thing replaced is an alternator. GREAT MOTORS!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think the 6.0s get too much of a bad rap. I've had my problems with mine, like anything else thats mechanical with moving parts stuff can break. But I still think its a very good engine. stud the motor, do an egr blockoff and perform regular maint. and it should run you a good long time.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,136 Posts
I think the 6.0s get too much of a bad rap. I've had my problems with mine, like anything else thats mechanical with moving parts stuff can break. But I still think its a very good engine. stud the motor, do an egr blockoff and perform regular maint. and it should run you a good long time.

I agree 100%!!!!!!!

but would have to add another -
TAKE CARE OF YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.

• I think gauges would be a great help for reliability. You definitely do not want to drive with low fuel pressure.
  • Change filters often, use the right filters (fuel and oil).
  • Use synthetic oil and don't try to go to extended OCI's.
  • I also think a good additive is a big help in reliability as well (ensure lubricity and cetane). I know many will say you get adequate from the pump, but I like the insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
reliability

The engine was originally designed to run upwards around 500,000 miles by International as per Ford requirments. if you take very good care of it I have seen some run very near that. biggest thing is to keep your oil changed!!! the injection system uses high pressure oil to operated the injectors. so clean oil means less problems with sticking injectors. believe it or not these engines need to be worked hard, ie towing and highway driving. idling and stop light to stop light is very hard on them. keep your fuel filters changed is the second big thing. As far as real engine problems, very few. egr coolers are a weak point but it is usually caused by high exhaust temps. The injector issue was ford biggest problem and they have finally come up with a good fix, and it only requires a pcm reflash by the dealer. I can say that 90 plus percent of the injector problem I now see are repaired by this reflash. I do see an occasional head gasket here and there but the engines themselves are pretty much bomb proof.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glad to hear this motors aren't all that bad, i think when i do get mine i will do head studs and egr block off anyways

·
Registered
60 Posts
one of my friends have 400,000 kms and all it was used for was oil field hauling

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ironically it sounds like beating the piss out of it is the best thing for it:hehe:
They really do seem to favor that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts