Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 324 Posts

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
thats all true, BUT.... he uses them in his pulling truck and the block is filled.

He uses them in his drag truck with o-rings heads, and it pushes coolant still.

his shop has done 15+ head gasket jobs over the past few months, w/o o-rings in the heads w/o any comebacks.

that is a start i guess. Im not sold on em yet personally.
This comment confuses me.....

You agreed with everything I said and proved my points, but added a "BUT...."

I have done over 50+ HG jobs out of my shop in the last 2 years, ALL not o-ringed, and with the VR gaskets and not one issue or comeback. Most of them are on tuned trucks also. It is good to see that the gaskets have lasted longer then most of the injectors he puts out, and I agree that the Fel-pro will most likely be a GREAT alternative to the VR and OE stuff. I was simply stating that using a race truck as an example to the gaskets strength doesn't prove ANYTHING at all.......NOW if said race truck has 4-5 seasons on it and no rebuilds and no issues maybe we could use it as an example, but hard towing miles speaks volumes more then a couple of passes and rides on a trailer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just pulled a set of BAD OEM (in theory redesigned) HGs off a 2006 6.0L and opted for the Fel-Pro gaskets --- which incidentally are getting fantastic reviews and I can see why ----excellent quality and they've added material where it counts.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
This thread and the following the fel-pros are getting crack me up. They're new and haven't even been tested really yet, and they are supposed to be better, and more and more people are going to run a (for the most part) UN-PROVEN gasket....yet when the BD gasket came out there was a frickin MOB telling people NOT to use them because they were VR gaskets, yet VR is the OE supplier for these trucks. 2 sets of proven gaskets from VR....OE(blue sealant) and BD(black sealant). Lets also NOT FORGET that the wonderful Black Onyx gaskets became popular because of threads and marketing like this.....and what happened there?!?!? Oh....yah....that's right....they flopped horribly and ALL the blame went to VR, and NOT to the people trying an un-proven in the real world product. Sorry but not sold on the pushrod guide holes and slightly thicker crush ring being the "solution" to the 6.0.......the real solution to the 6.0 is preparation of the head and block surface and PROPER torque. Something that can NOT be achieved with cab on....PERIOD!!

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,244 Posts
Fel pro has a history in gaskets though. Only difference I can see. They own the Gasser world. Can't imagine they wouldn't step foot in without a ballin product.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Charlie is going to run the Fel Pro gaskets with his redemption build right?

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Wow Toren... that seemed a little heated :haha: I thought you were PRO trying new things.

I am running these on my truck and could care less about the push rod guide holes. I am running them because of the thicker sealant in the fire ring area. I don't believe they are the "solution" to end ALL headgasket problems forever. I think the only "solution" would be a couple extra head bolts, thicker head castings, a flat block, and proper installation... BUT I do hope the felpro gaskets are a step in the right direction :thumb:

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Wow Toren... that seemed a little heated :haha: I thought you were PRO trying new things.

I am running these on my truck and could care less about the push rod guide holes. I am running them because of the thicker sealant in the fire ring area. I don't believe they are the "solution" to end ALL headgasket problems forever. I think the only "solution" would be a couple extra head bolts, thicker head castings, a flat block, and proper installation... BUT I do hope the felpro gaskets are a step in the right direction :thumb:
It was heated because this is how bad parts get a hold on a lot of people and they get screwed....NOT THAT THE FP GASKETS ARE BAD!!! Just saying that they really need to be proven before the masses use them.....HELL the BD gasket are proven, but because they come in VR packaging there is a HUGE group on here that still say OE ONLY!! :doh:

Don't get me wrong. I hope the fle pros are good gaskets for everyone that wants to run them, I just think that more time SHOULD be spent on figuring out how to fix the issue once and for all. LIIIIIKKKKKKE.....figuring out how to adapt the 6.4 head to the 6.0. You want a stronger less likely to flex design....the 6.4 head is it. The issue with the 6.0 is NOT the gaskets!!! It is as you stated Charlie, the number of bolts, clamping force, and head strength. Since we cant add bolt holes, and using the existing bolt hole, can only get camping force so high, the next logical step would be to figure out the head strength. The 6.4 head uses injector cups similar and the same fuel return port in the head as the 6.0 uses to supply fuel. It also uses the exact same rocker arms in a little different geometry. Its possible, and would be a much better use of time rather then trying to find a magic gasket to fix the head issues. Sorry but the gasket can ONLY do so much.

Edit: and YES I am PRO trying new parts.....BUT MY LABOR IS FREE!!! I am only pro if the party trying new things UNDERSTANDS the possibility that something might go wrong and the part fail or not be as advertised. This would mean having to do the job over again.....something that MOST of these people that are going to try them DONT understand or will then B!TCH and complain about when chit hits the fan.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
#torenforfreespeech #freetoren

Sent from my dumb iPhone

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
The point Toren is trying to make is the bd/oem gaskets are in fact the same thing. Through research and a lot of reading people were able to come to that conclusion VERY early on with the 6.0 fiasco. The Black onyx gaskets were a complete redesign that as we all know never got the testing it needed and due to hype people jumped in and now and up spending another 5-8 grand.

Fel Pro gaskets are the same situation. They are new in the 6.0 and 6.4 world. They work in the race world, but that isn't anywhere near the same as the old man hooking up cold and jumping on the freeway heading up a 7% grade for the next 20 miles. The things I am wondering is all the extra material and thicker fire ring potentially changes torque values. It also changes how the heads seat on the block. Good? Bad? Only time will tell. It seems there was a lot more thought put into these than the BO gaskets, but its still new. A lot of us are curious and hopeful, but just the same as Toren... Shops need to be very careful about pushing these to customers too early. Give them a few years, these trucks aren't going anywhere lol... Once we know that people have 60-100k miles on them towing and dd as well as race miles...

Then start the massive hype. And personally the 6.0 used as a dd/tow pig with very mild or stock tuning doesn't need much help... Stud, oring, machine, and torque properly... The 6.4 on the other hand is the one that needs help right now.

But either way, I am excited to see how trucks fare with these gaskets. I am not however excited to see how many shops are pushing them... Especially when for the vast majority of people these gaskets are a bit overkill. The oem/bd gaskets hold up just fine until you start ramping up cylinder pressures with hot tuning, turbos, and oversize injectors.

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
You sarcastic b......

I love you and hate you just the same lol.

Reactions: Patriot
101 - 120 of 324 Posts